Pics after suspension... weak HDR attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gray S. View Post
    For these I just merged about 5 pics to HDR and messed with the white point slider, then converted them to 16 bit and played around with Local Adaptation and the toning curve histogram. Thats about it. I have no idea what I'm really doing when I adjust the histogram etc, I just moved the curve a bunch of different ways till I liked how the picture looked.

e30monsta my gamertag is gray11g, have we played before?
    no lol i just saw your controller there with a mic.lol

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
      I assume you are shooting with a camera you can exposure bracket? IE you shot at -2/-1/0/+1/+2? Then merged them into a single shot?

Here is the problem. It appears you shot in the afternoon sometime?

HDR = High Dynamic Range. It was 'created/used' when a single exposure will NOT get all the highlights/lowlights/shadows/etc exposed correctly in one shot. Thus you bracket and combine them all. If you can easily get the shot in 1 photo you are creating a more 'fake' looking HDR and you get the results above... Here is a shot from early in my career that are similar that I made 'fake' HDR and it doesn't look good because with a single long exposure I could have captured everything :)

"HDR"
      I did shoot in the afternoon, in the very bright sunlight which I figured would make the results not as impressive, just wanted to try anyway. About the bracketing, I keep reading about that but I dont really know what it is or how to use it. I do know that my friends camera that I used to take those pictures does not have bracketing (its a nikon D40). I have just read about that being a disadvantage of the D40, I don't actually know how to take advantage of the feature even if it was there.

I put the camera in aperture priority mode and shot pics like you said at -2, -1 and so on.
      Next time I go out I'm going to wait for dusk or heavy cloud cover so the sun doesnt wash out everything.

I feel like the part that I'm not really getting is the software editing. Did you make your HDR shot in photoshop or another program?

Comment

PM sent...
        Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

You can adjust the exposure on the d40? That doesn't sound right.

You had too much light and didn't need HDR and thus you got those results.

Comment

The purpose of HDR is to elimate shadows in either foreground or background, which creates an evenly exposed photo, giving you surrealistic photos if done properly... You just overexposed everything
            http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

I didnt say they were good, just that they were a first try.

Comment

i liked that first one. Looks like one of Davinci's pieces
                sigpic

Comment

dude, you need to come take pics of mine no excuses
                  blown out stock susp FTMFW

Comment

So if I'm reading steinbachphoto's post right HDR is best used for uneven lighting situations? You have any examples?

I was trying to mess around with it about a month ago and never got anything worth looking at out of it. I am not great at using photoshop curves though, could have been my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by steinbachphoto View Post
                      The purpose of HDR is to elimate shadows in either foreground or background, which creates an evenly exposed photo, giving you surrealistic photos if done properly... You just overexposed everything
                      Dude. Every damn time someone posts their attempt at an HDR photo, you're the first one to come in and shit all over it. He said he knew they weren't good, he was just experimenting with it. Go take some more pictures of emo girls slitting theirs wrists with their Lady Bics or something.

Comment

Well, to someone who didn't know what HDR was all about steinbachphoto's post made a point. It's not like he was shitting on the OP's attempt ;)
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

That may be, but he does it every time someone posts an HRD attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray S. View Post
                            I didnt say they were good, just that they were a first try.
                            Shoot me an email and I will help you create some nice HDRs :) Not my thing but I know how.

You are shooting with a D40?

halston at hp-photo dot net

We will get you some good ones!

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                              Shoot me an email and I will help you create some nice HDRs :) Not my thing but I know how.

You are shooting with a D40?

halston at hp-photo dot net

We will get you some good ones!

Thanks alot man, I def. will let you know next time I get some shots. Probably this weekend over labor day. I think I'm going to wait till night/overcast.

Comment

You can do it. Find out how to bracket the shot properly and make sure to use a tripod. Start there and then play with it :)

Something with a lot of light and different colors makes for even better effects!

Comment

Working...
                                X