zf310 input shaft bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zf310 input shaft bearing

Ok so I bought a zf310 trans from a 1994 530. when i brought it home and dismounted it off the engine the input shaft had a fair amount of play.

I found two videos in the trans section of the forum saying it is except able because the pilot bearing will hold the other side of the input shaft, but this transmission is fairly hard to find so i really am not trying to blow it up.

What I wanted to know was if i were to replace the in put shaft bearing could i remove it from the front (the part that bolts to the engine) or do i have to separate the case and take it all apart and push it out from behind?

Im going to replace the seal anyway so if it pups out the front then i might as well do the bearing too correct?
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Another question, there is a sticker on my trans that says it takes automatic fluid but it is obviously a manual transmission.

Can someone confirm if this is correct? And if it is what type of fluid would you recommend?

Comment

If it's like most BMW transmissions, it's a pain to get out. I would not worry too much if
      everything else seems ok. The pilot really does prevent wobble. Now, if it moves fore-
      aft or up- down, (the whole shaft, not just the nose of it) then I'd go in and fix it.

And yes, atf is one of the several things you put in manual transmissions. I like Redline D4 quite a lot in the one in my E36....

hth

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        If it's like most BMW transmissions, it's a pain to get out. I would not worry too much if
        everything else seems ok. The pilot really does prevent wobble. Now, if it moves fore-
        aft or up- down, (the whole shaft, not just the nose of it) then I'd go in and fix it.

And yes, atf is one of the several things you put in manual transmissions. I like Redline D4 quite a lot in the one in my E36....

hth

t
        Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I think I'm just going to run it the way it is, wish me luck :up:

Comment

I have this same question.
          Is yours still running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X