No Forward or Reverse. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Forward or Reverse. Advice?

I would have posted this in the transmission section but, figured my issue may be best answered here if transfer case or VC related.

I just bought a 1989 ix with an auto tranny that runs fine but, bought it knowing that it does not move in either drive or reverse. Before taking it to a professional what are the simple things to check? And yes, a 5-speed swap is in the works (twin 5-speed ix in garage being stripped of it's parts) but, getting the auto working would probably be faster that undertaking the swap right now.

My thoughts. What am I missing?

- Linkage unhooked/broken?

- Fluid low (I can't imagine it would be that simple)

- Clogged Valve body? Can these be cleaned?

- Anything electrical?

- Could the transmission be fine and it be a transfer case issue? If so what?

- I'm new to the ix and still learning but, if the VC does go will the car still move just not differentiate power front and rear?
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

Most likely a bad tranny
    Even with a bad VC with all the wheels on the ground it should move if all the axles are seated properly and front driveshaft isn't stripped. Usually the axles or driveshaft will make bad noises if there's an issue when trying to move it.
    Never having had an auto IX I'm not sure if you can see the output from tranny into the tcase like you can on manuals.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

How does the shifter feel?
      Check linkage and maybe also try to jack up the car and check if you see or hear something weird in the drive line.
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Don't waste your time futzing around with the autotragic, just swap it already!
        Attached Files
        Build Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
        Parts Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Yeah, Yeah, I know, just do the swap and you are probably right especially if I had to buy a new (used) auto. I guess I just need to resolve myself to the fact I won't be able to drive it for a while While I compile new parts for the swap. It's an ix, I should just sdt a goal of on the road and running before next winter.

I shouldn't bitch, I have a very clean 325ic and an even cleaner E24 M6 for my driving pleasure.
          1986 E30 325E
          1989 E30 325iX
          2003 E54 X5.
          1993 Mercedes W124 300E
          1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
          2009 VW Touareg
          2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

The auto swap really isn't any harder than a normal 5 speed swap. Just takes a little bit longer to get the transfer case up and in.
            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Unfortunately my garage is occupied with the donor 325ix right now. I need to get off my back side and get her stripped of all the parts I will need for the 5-speed swap. Nice when I bought a 1989, white, sedan, 5-speed ix as a parts car for the plastic bumpers and then "stumbled" upon the same exact year/make/model/color car. I was only looking for a hardtop and almost bought the OEM hardtop for my convertible when I found the ix for only $300.00 more. Other than needing a transmission it has lots of maint. receipts and several thousands of dollars in receipts for work done since 2015.
              1986 E30 325E
              1989 E30 325iX
              2003 E54 X5.
              1993 Mercedes W124 300E
              1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
              2009 VW Touareg
              2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

I'd put money on it being the transmission. I've experienced them dying first hand, and this is exactly what they do. It's probably worth your time to check the fluid level and fill it if it's low, but they're known to fail, and rebuilding them isn't worth it. Just expedite your 5-speed swap.

Comment

It's free to check the shift cable in your driveway... If it's not that, it's something internal to the transmission. If you felt like spending money on it, you could do fluid/filter change, but that's a shot in the dark with respect to effectiveness.

Comment

Agree on the 5 speed swap, by the time you’ve extricated the exhaust, transfer case and transmission your half way there.

Before you yank the transmissions out of these cars you might want to test the transfer cases, since you can’t jack test either car there is a test procedure sticky at the top of the IX forum. 5 speed and auto transfer cases share the same internals but have different front covers, you may need to change the cover depending on which (if either) of your TCs function correctly.

If you’re really lucky both will be good and you’ll have a spare.

Scavenge everything iX specific you can off the parts car, front struts, axle shafts etc…….everything will be useful if you plan on keeping an iX.

Comment

Working...
                    X