Steering wheel is getting caught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel is getting caught

I have an E30 with a 4 spoke steering wheel. I purchased a 3 spoke and had it wrapped in alcantara.

Today I removed the two torx screws, removed the airbag, and remove the center nut to the wheel.

I went to install the spacer required for non airbag wheels on an airbag, but it appears the car already had one. If I add two, the steering wheel locking pin doesn't work, and upon completely tightening the center lock the wheel is jammed up against the pin. No go for two spacers.

With one spacer, and everything tightened down, the wheel catches on something when at the 9-10 or 3-2 position. I can force the wheel past it, but I can hear plastic shifting. I can't see into the assembly, so I don't know what is going on.

I reinstalled the 4 spoke, and the same thing is happening!

Anyone got any ideas about this? I'm a little lost.

Iirc I put the additional spacer on after installing the wheel. Try that
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
      Iirc I put the additional spacer on after installing the wheel. Try that
      The problem was a white pin that stuck out at the 10-11 oclock position. On the non airbag cars there is one brass colored pin at the 6 oclock position. When pressed in, it fires the horn, and the pin rides on the metal collar on the inside of the wheel.

For the airbag cars, the white pin holds the clock springs spool in place.

When installing a non airbag wheel on an airbagged car, you'll need to push the pin in and secure it.

I haven't done this yet, because i'm still thinking about my options.

1. Do I just put the pin? Well...what function did it serve besides aligning the clock spring?

2. Do I use something to keep it pushed in, and hope that it doesn't pop out when I'm driving and jam my steering wheel.

Decisions decisions.

Comment

You need to have key in ignition and set to the first click/position forward when installing. Maybe I am not understanding your issue

Comment

I'll post this info because I think someone will eventually run into this issue and I'm surprised I couldn't find much info on it.

Standard Non E30 Steering Column:

Airbag equipped E30 steering column:

That white plastic tab at the 10-11 o clock position in the airbag equipped column interferes with the back of the steering wheel.

Specifically the horn connection collar. Because the white pin is spring loaded, it touches the back of the wheel right outside the horn connection collar, and when you turn it far enough it hits the collars screw tab.

Comment

So what did you do to remedy the issue. I'm actually running into same issue just haven't messed with it since the started doing it as i dont drive it in the winter

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              So what did you do to remedy the issue. I'm actually running into same issue just haven't messed with it since the started doing it as i dont drive it in the winter
              Well, you can jam it, cut it, or tape it over.

I think the pin is there to help keep the clock spring in place. Otherwise you'll rotate it too far, and snap the ribbon cable inside. But I'm not sure if the car needs to know that it is pushed in. That I have no idea. Which is why I am hesitant to cut it. Tape just seems sketchy, because I think over time it might puncture. Jamming the pin stuck is also just at sketchy. Ultimately, I ordered some super thick metal tape. I think that will solve my problem assuming it is sticky enough. I got the thickest tape I could find, 11mils thick. That should be plenty thick to resist puncturing. Hell, maybe I'll run a combo of jamming it and taping it. If someone can confirm whether or not that pin needs to be pressed for some function, it would be awesome.

I could use this on the steering wheel locking pin, and run two spacers to really push the wheel away from the stalks.

Comment

Originally posted by Boggie1688 View Post
                Well, you can jam it, cut it, or tape it over.

I think the pin is there to help keep the clock spring in place. Otherwise you'll rotate it too far, and snap the ribbon cable inside. But I'm not sure if the car needs to know that it is pushed in. That I have no idea. Which is why I am hesitant to cut it. Tape just seems sketchy, because I think over time it might puncture. Jamming the pin stuck is also just at sketchy. Ultimately, I ordered some super thick metal tape. I think that will solve my problem assuming it is sticky enough. I got the thickest tape I could find, 11mils thick. That should be plenty thick to resist puncturing. Hell, maybe I'll run a combo of jamming it and taping it. If someone can confirm whether or not that pin needs to be pressed for some function, it would be awesome.

I could use this on the steering wheel locking pin, and run two spacers to really push the wheel away from the stalks.

thanks for info. cutting it should be okay for these cars as air bag system is as integrated into the rest of the car as newer ones are. Did you end up not needing the second spacer?

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  thanks for info. cutting it should be okay for these cars as air bag system is as integrated into the rest of the car as newer ones are. Did you end up not needing the second spacer?
                  The issue with the second spacer is after tightening the wheel, the lockput pin is jammed against the pack of the wheel. Two spacers, has the wheel pushed out far enough that the pin is no longer inside the wheel. The pin pops up, but behind the wheel and not in the groove. After tightening the wheel down, you pinch the pin in the up position.

So two spacers, doesn't seem to work unless you keep the pin in the down position. You will no longer have a steering wheel lock out. Unless there is a trick that I haven't come across. Just what I noticed when i tried to use two spacers.

Comment

Update.

Tape didn't work. Although it was strong enough to not get punctured, the glue wasn't strong enough.

The solution. Take the bottom steering column shroud off. Take the turn single stalk off. Reach up and pinch the rear of the white pin, and pull. The whole pin will come out. Done.

Here is a photo of the pin removed.

Comment

resurrecting an old thread...

I'm trying to install an mtech 1 wheel on a 1990 airbag m3. The airbag wheel came off fine, but the mtech1 wheel won't push all the way down on to the splines. there is one spacer on the between the wheel and the column, but the back of the wheel doesn't seat far enough to even touch the spacer.

I am not even getting to the binding issue with the white plastic pin, since I can't get the wheel on far enough. I put on the 22mm nut and tightened it and it is still way off - the locking pin won't engage into the mtech wheel.

attached a picture showing how far off it is. you can also see the locking pin stuck halfway in due to the wheel not being pushed in

any tips appreciated!

picture at http://imgur.com/HZVCfjW

Last edited by bronzitb; 08-24-2017, 12:41 AM.

Comment

1. Remove air bag wheel,
                        2. Remove white plastic peg with pliers and save it.
                        3. Remove steering wheel spacer.
                        4. Install non air bag wheel
                        5. Install steering wheel spacer and/or washers to take up the necessary space.
                        6. Install nut and torque to spec.
                        7. Under the dash, disconnect the orange airbag plug to eliminate the active check light.
                        8. Optional: while the wheel is off, install non airbag stalks OR bend existing stalks away from the steering wheel.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Boggie1688 View Post
                          Update.

Tape didn't work. Although it was strong enough to not get punctured, the glue wasn't strong enough.

The solution. Take the bottom steering column shroud off. Take the turn single stalk off. Reach up and pinch the rear of the white pin, and pull. The whole pin will come out. Done.
                          Thanks for the tip. I broke this white pin today while repairing the horn on a 1992 325i. It is part number 32341156341 and is shown at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0854 . The parts sites calls it a "locking pin."

Does anyone know the purpose of it? I see it is a screw. As shown in the photo, it is spring loaded.
                          Last edited by honda.lioness; 11-02-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

A bit of a bump, but I guess that only proves that I've searched.

I popped off my airbag steering wheel to install my momo hub & wheel.
                            I've been through the procedure before, so I cut a spacer ahead of time.

Lined everything up and semi-torqued up the main nut just to see if I got the spacer thickness right. It looked good, so I went to remove the momo hub to wire up the horn, but now the hub will not come free...?

Ignition on/off, the steering lock pin works as it should as I can see it engage/disengage.

The hub slides about 8mm back & forth on the splines, then hits a brick wall as if the nut was on it..

What the hell am I after doing?

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                              A bit of a bump, but I guess that only proves that I've searched.

I popped off my airbag steering wheel to install my momo hub & wheel.
                              I've been through the procedure before, so I cut a spacer ahead of time.

Lined everything up and semi-torqued up the main nut just to see if I got the spacer thickness right. It looked good, so I went to remove the momo hub to wire up the horn, but now the hub will not come free...?

Ignition on/off, the steering lock pin works as it should as I can see it engage/disengage.

The hub slides about 8mm back & forth on the splines, then hits a brick wall as if the nut was on it..

What the hell am I after doing?

What likely happened is same thing that happened to me. Is the spline likely went to far and dug into the column. Will need to use a puller to get it off.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                              X