iX and Ground Control spring perches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iX and Ground Control spring perches

I'm about to throw GC stuff on my rallyx car and was a little curious as to what you guys are doing about the perches. I'd like to chop the perches and add the small GC ones, but I forget that the sway link mount is basically part of the perch on the iX.

What have you done on your iX with coilovers? I see these options:

1. Leave stock perch. Inhibits adjustability (not really an issue for this car, will be nearly stock height), doesn't look terribly clean.

2. Chop perch and attempt to leave the sway bar mounting pieces on the strut. Probably won't work.

3. Chop perch and use standard e30 end links and control arm mounting brackets. Will this even work with the iX sway bar? I know the stiffness of the sway would be affected.

4. Chop perch and make some sort of replacement mounting tab to stick on the strut for the sway to mount to.

5. Chop perch, throw away sway bar. This actually is an option since the car will likely run without a front sway for a lot of it's existence, but I'd rather not lose the option to use one.

Picture of car for reference.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

I'd just like to say, that looks beefy. Nicely done.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

On my second set, I just moved the swaybar perch down about the same amount I expected the lower the car. This basically puts the swaybar in nearly the original location. ForcedFirebird fabricated the perch out of box tube.

if you're doing a rally car, you would either want to leave them where they are (stock height) or move them up (if you're raising it up a bit). Probably, the handling will be best at stock ride height.

On my original set, the guy saved the original perch and welded it back to the strut. I think he had to extend it a bit. It did work, but the stock links no longer fit - aftermarket ones did, but the end joints don't last very long outside of race use.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for. And yes- stock height seems to be a pretty good ride height zone for the events we have so leaving the sway mounts in roughly the same area will be the way to go.

In that lower picture, is that the spring perch that GC supplies or something you made yourself?

Token photo:

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

The lower picture is using the GC supplied perch. On my new ones, the swaybar mounts are also part of the perches.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I saved the stock sway perch and like nando said you have to extend it.
            On mine stock links still fits.
            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

yeah it would have worked if he had extended it just 1/8" more. :|

to be fair I don't think I gave him end links to test the fitup with... But I did make it clear to John at WotTech that I had that problem before. Also my "new" housings were based off struts that were rusty as fuck (John said in another thread, the perches just fell off when he hit them with a hammer), so the brackets couldn't be reused on that one.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                yeah it would have worked if he had extended it just 1/8" more. :|

to be fair I don't think I gave him end links to test the fitup with... But I did make it clear to John at WotTech that I had that problem before. Also my "new" housings were based off struts that were rusty as fuck (John said in another thread, the perches just fell off when he hit them with a hammer), so the brackets couldn't be reused on that one.
                Yeah if its that rusted out i would just be glad if i would be able to use it at all :D

Found a pic of mine, not very good pic though...

E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Mine are being made right now actually. Looking forward to their arrival.

Comment

Working...
                  X