Adding e36 Knock Sensors to e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding e36 Knock Sensors to e30

I've searched and searched and cant seem to find my answer.

(Running a PNP standalone system)
    Is adding the e36 knock sensors really as simple as wiring sensor one to pin 15, sensor two to pin 42 and then common ground them into pin 43?

M42 turbo build.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

(Running a PNP standalone system)
    this is where I get lost- whose standalone?

Knock sensors aren't inherently easy- they're usually tuned electrically, mechanically and
    acoustically to the engine that they're monitoring.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      this is where I get lost- whose standalone?

Knock sensors aren't inherently easy- they're usually tuned electrically, mechanically and
      acoustically to the engine that they're monitoring.

t
      It's the KdFi MS2 based unit. Has built in knock control. From what I have gathered, I would use the factory m42 knock sensors from the e36 since the mounting locations are already on the block of the e30. Then I'd need to figure out getting them to work correctly on the PNP system.

M42 turbo build.

Comment

op why do you want a knock sensor?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
          op why do you want a knock sensor?
          Road tuning, and MS knock control as a safeguard (aka a band-aid) for the short term until I can get down to Dallas and get a proper dyno tune.

M42 turbo build.

Comment

I really want a knock sensor.
            There are some kits for like $400, but the whole installation confuses me.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

i mean you could just stay out of boost as best you can till you get the right tune. MS can easily support knock sensors, however I do not have one.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Don't see the point unless you really want to live on the edge. Stay off boost until you get a proper tune, don't rely on a knock senor to save you. Get a nice tune that gives good numbers but stays in the safe area and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

All that said, yeah, the E36 sensors just bolt to the cold side between 1&2,
                  and between 3&4, high up on the block.

There's nothing wrong with using them if they don't take too much time or money-
                  think of it as a safety net in case something else goes wrong, like your girlfriend puts
                  85 octane gas in it in Montana.
                  But it's not worth it if it takes a lot of re- engineering. Or the software can't interpret
                  what they're saying. They do take some processing and interpreting.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yes wiring is easy like that since its a two pin plug....one being a ground.

As Toby said, the sensors aren't going to do much for you just by wiring them in. You need to set the frequency (based on a formula thats probably provided), then you need to set the bandpass filter to clip off generic engine noise. You will also need to set the knock window (crank degrees) when each piston will be at TDC for cylinder identification. Once you have that all set, you will need to set the appropriate gain so the sensor actually picks up the noise and you will know what detonation looks like as a signal.

To actually get it set up properly....you need to force your engine to detonate at low load/rpm.

Then you go from there to set the other parameters once the basics are set.

Basically....a KS can screw a lot more up for you than it can fix if you don't know what you are doing. Its not really going to be able to save anything anyway. If you are really concerned just take your whole timing map on the top end and take a few degerees out.

Look up "detcans" and find how to make a set for a few bucks. The human ears/brain are much better processors :) A crushed piece of copper pipe, some hose, and some ear muffs are all you need. You can make a digital set too for under $50.
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I always wanted to hook up a headphone amp and listen to mine, just for fun.

But that would take effort...

t

Comment

Anyone try this?
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                        X