Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88' 325 Supereta Track Day Bro - M60 TIME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much caught up to the present. Yesterday got the car back into the garage with the help of some strong gentlemen.

Started to prepare to drop the front subframe for reinforcements, new e36 rack, new bushings and arms etc etc. Suspension will be done later, due to funds.

And of course, just like my last e30, this dang control arm ball joint wont come out of the subframe. Need to buy a pickle fork.

That is how the car sits for now. More updates to come.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Tonight's work updates (i move fast)

Picked up a pickle fork, and control arms and outer tie rods finally popped out (replacing these). Getting the ball joints out of the knuckles is one of my most hated jobs.

Remove the few bolts holding in the subframe and it comes right out.

Steering rack will get replaced by an e36 or z3 rack, not sure what the exact one my buddy has for me is.

Who needs a subframe anyways.

Tomorrow is getting it all cleaned up. This thing is beyond disgusting. I might have it sand blasted, just because its that bad.
      More tomorrow.
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 340iL - Track car
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

You should reinforce the subframe while it's out now and not later. Good progress, keep up the good work.

Comment

Yep, garagistic hooked me up with the reinforcement kit, full chassis. I may go in as well and do some minor chassis stiching and shock tower reinforcements as well.
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Only a couple things tonight. Mostly cleaning up the subframe. Its nasty. Solid layers of gunk. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Picked up weapons for cleaning

I think I will need another day or two to get it clean.

You can also see the present I picked up from my friend. I think its a e36 rack, if anyone can help identify. It may be a z3, but probably e36. I have all new PS hoses and a reservoir that will get installed.

Did some touch ups to my quick plastidip job on my white door.

And going to take a look at this rats nest that used to be the brake pad sensor. I think some wrapping and minor repair will take care of it.

That's it for tonight. Once cleaned, subframe will be painted and then reinstalled with new components.
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 340iL - Track car
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

a can of the gunk degreaser gel did it for my subframe and it may have been worse then yours! course i used a pretty firm brush but easy job overall, awesome work man!
              sigpic

Comment

Whatd you use to clean the pistons?

Comment

Originally posted by E30DriftMissile View Post
                  a can of the gunk degreaser gel did it for my subframe and it may have been worse then yours! course i used a pretty firm brush but easy job overall, awesome work man!
                  I love Purple Power degreaser, and I'm using some brass brushes to clean it up.

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
                  Whatd you use to clean the pistons?
                  ATF is great at tackling carbon deposits. I basically put some in each cylinder, let it soak over night, then went at the pistons with a SOFT brush. They are not perfect, but I'm not that patient:)

More updates from tonight!

First, after some more scraping off gunk, I took a wire wheel to the subframe. Its about 1/4 done.

Took off the inner tie rods from my stock rack, which were in good shape, and transplanted them onto the new e36 rack. Note to self, tighten these and do the lock plates. New outers are on the way from RockAuto.

While my buddy was in the engine bay helping with some steering stuff, he noticed that my lower rad support was a little messed up.
                  For reference, here's a good section:

And here's the bad section:

Some whacks with a BFH, and its better, but need to pick up a 2x4 to further straighten it.

On to the old control arms, I still need the bushing lollipops, and I don't have a torch, so some lighter fluid and brake clean heated them up enough to get them off. I need new hack saw blades to tackle getting the old bushings out.

Last but not least, took the masking off my shitty, 10 minute plastidip door job

I'll probably just sticker bomb it later, cuz why not.
                  Received my latest order from Pelican Parts, CSB hardware and some other odds and ends. That's all for tonight friends.

-J
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Good progress ! Keep up the hard work sir
                    1990 Alpine 325is
                    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                      Good progress ! Keep up the hard work sir
                      Thanks, I try;D
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

What did you end up doing to get the Control arm ball joint out of the subframe? Just pickle fork in between the two? I've been stuck there for a week. Tried PB blaster, Fire, Pickle fork, BFH, everything. Any advice would be great.
                        Last edited by ElJimo; 09-03-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElJimo View Post
                          What did you end up doing to get the Control arm ball joint out of the subframe? Just pickle fork in between the two? I've been stuck there for a week. Tried PB blaster, Fire, Pickle fork, BFH, everything. Any advice would be great.
                          Yeah this is a hard one. When I did front suspension overhaul on my old e30 2 years ago, I had the worst time with this one too. After beating on it with a pickle fork from the bottom, and a BFH from the top, I gave up, and sprayed with PB Blaster. The next morning, 3 whacks on the pick fork and it popped out.
                          Let it soak for a bit. If it still doesn't come out, try getting the pickle fork wedged tight in there where it wont come out, and then whack the bolt/thread/studs from the top.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Tonight's work:

Picked up some things from a r3v member. Lightly used spark plug wires. I bought ones without the spark sensor thing on it before, so this will be my first try before spending >$100 on a new set.

Also got a new AC bracket ladder thing. The old one(left) was ground down bad.

Continued to work on cleaning up the front subframe. I'm maybe 2/3 done now.

My low pressure PS hose was old, so I started to dremel out the old-style crimp.

And off. No nicks on the barb, yay!

Unfortunately, I bought the wrong size hose(12mm), so I'll get the correct size(16mm) when I make my next parts order, or run to the auto parts store.

Cleaned the garage, and then wrapped up for the night. I'm taking a much-needed 4 day weekend for labor day, so most likely no new updates until next week.

-J
                            We're in deep now boys
                            1988 340iL - Track car
                            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Quick oil change on the subie before my vacation
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Picked up some hardly used Rivals, 225/45r15 for really cheap.

-J
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X