Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88' 325 Supereta Track Day Bro - M60 TIME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small updates:

I bought an angle grinder, with a flappy sanding disk. This REALLY sped up finishing the cleaning of the subframe.
    Cleaned, finally:

And primed.

Just waiting on garagistic parts, and control arms now.
    Weld reinforcements, then paint the subframe, then reassemble.

-J
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Decided to do something a little "funner" tonight, as I'm waiting on parts for the front subframe.

I had a spare set of Eibach lowering springs (-1.5" all around) and decided, why the hell not. This car is gonna be driving before I can afford suspension, so might as well be hELla jDM broOOOO.
      Also, more practically, when I do the rear subframe, (which will come before the suspension) having these shorter springs will allow me to swap to the new springs easier than if the old springs were still in the rear.
      And might as well have the front match the rear.

Start with the originals:

Undo the sorry excuse for wiring. These will be re-wrapped and repaired, along with the brake sensors shorted, later.

Out:

Old spring compressed (I really despise these crappy-style compressors, but I have what I have, unless I want to drop money on a good compressor $$$)

Obligatory "left spring new, right spring OEM"

My housemate has a 135i track car, so his old drop hats (same as e90) are going on my car for freeeeeeeeeeeee :)

One done:

Two done:

And back in the car! I accidentally put them on the wrong sides, but something looked off and it was quickly remedied.

A couple of other parts showed up today.
      I had already bought this OEM radio, which will get an Hey, Aux jack! (reference) installed. Today I received a set of the radio connectors. A PO had hacked the headunit wiring apart in the worst of ways, so this will be restoring to stock essentially.

And my door bumper trim pieces have been painted, and I got new clips.

That's all for tonight folks.

-J
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 340iL - Track car
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Got home from work a little early today, and got a nice package from Garagistic

MotoMeter gears, solid offset CAB, poly 90A trans mounts, delrin shifter bushings, and my reinforcement kit.

Started with the gears:

Old, crumbled ones out

New gears on:

And my cluster back together finally:

Then I did my reinforcements on the front subframe. Please excuse my terrible terrible welds.

Started painting the subframe black, but its 95degF as of 7PM with high humidity, so I'm going to call it quits for the night.

-J
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 340iL - Track car
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Some work tonight.

Decided to start tackling the mess a PO made of the radio wiring.

Started removing some of the heaps of electrical tape. The aftermarket radio harness wasn't soldered or crimped on. Literally wires twisted together then wrapped in electrical tape.

Cleaned up

And repaired with factory connectors

And I started to put the center/HVAC panel back in. Not quite done yet. Radio won't go in until I figure out the Aux jack for the radio.

Also popped out the control arm bushings. This time went a lot smoother than the last time I did this job. Delrin offset bushings waiting to go in as well.

Front subframe finished and painted

And my e36 steering rack fitted.

At this point, I need to attach the sway bar, and then the subframe can go on.
          I am still missing my new control arms, I'm a little peeved they haven't shown up yet from the seller on here. After that, back on the ground and into the yard for the motor to go back in.

Thats all for tonight folks.
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Looks good.keep up the good work. Just one question did you get the head resurfaced after it came off?

Comment

Yes I did. head was stripped, checked, surfaced, and reassembled. OEM head gasket.
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 340iL - Track car
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

A little upset today, I came home and saw that maybe the glue I used on the gauges condensated on the interior of the plastic. Kind of bad picture:

I ended up cracking the plastic, so a new cluster is probably necessary;(
                Still put it in, it'll still functional for now.

I used the Dungeon Motorsport e36 rack swap kit, and modified my steering knuckle

Subframe ready to be installed

And installed

I also started to replace the engine bay fuel lines, the old ones were rotted.
                Tie rod boots are on, so once I get my control arms the car will be able to go back on the ground.

-J
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 340iL - Track car
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Its been a hard night, with much cursing and yelling from me, as well as my housemate (radiator upgrade on the 135i).

Nice new fuel lines and accelerator cable

On to the master cylinder, I had a hard time getting the black fitting in. Dumb Uro part ended up just been slightly too big, so i slightly sanded down the barb and it finally popped in.
                  Here's the problem

Finally go the master in

And the hard/soft lines to the slave cylinder in as well.

Doesn't seem like much, but it took me all evening to do just that.
                  My back is all messed up, as it usually is after being under the dash.
                  My list of stuff to do before the engine can go back in is:
                  1. Finish reassembling the front suspension (control arms will be here tomorrow)
                  2. transmission output shaft seal (i may end up doing this once the motor is in)
                  3. Alternator, accessories and belts back on

List is getting short. I may have to help more with the 135i this week as well.

-J
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Kinda fun update.

Picked up a set of 4 (plus one minorly bent) wheels, TRM C1, 15x8" et20 wheels for a good price. Black too, just how I was gonna go with.

And after finishing up installing the new control arms with solid bushings and new outer tie rods, The car got set back down on the ground, ready to go back out to the backyard to put the engine back in!

No fender or motor obviously, but here's a view of the strut area

Ride height looks good, even with this temporary set up.
                    And still helping with the 135i rad install, which should be done soon.

I had a big smile when the car was back on the ground. The last 3 weeks has been a bit of a pain.

-J
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Some updates, sorry for the blurry action shots:

Picked up a couple things to get the motor towards running.

When I started to move the motor, I noticed some drips from between the bellhousing and block. Oh no:(
                      Took off the tranny, and it looked like someone cracked an egg in it!

Cleaned everything up, let the tranny sit for a few hours, but I didn't see any new leaks. I am contributing it to some spillage of tranny fluid when I was filling it up, and then a little water from the recent rain. Or perhaps I over filled the tranny a bit, which is also a possibility and would make sense due to the angle its been sitting at for a few weeks. I guess worst case I have to pull the tranny at a later date. I will keep tabs on the fluid level and any evidence of leaking.

Started to drag the motor picker thru dirt and grass in 100deg heat. Took all day just to move it 15ft.

Motor going back in!!

And in!

Those are solid condor derin motor mounts btw. Garagistic 90A poly tranny mounts as well. Gonna shake my fillings out.

Heater core hoses routed, had to trim some of the hose to get it to fit.

More connectors, tubing etc routed, and this is how it sits at the end of tonight

Oh, and....

Its officially a 5speed now!
                      I did shear off the stud on the rear shifter mount...

I was taking the lock nut on and off several times to get the shifter in. Rather than buy a new one, I think I will try to grind/drill out the broken stud, and just replace it with a bolt and a nylon nut, unless someone tells be otherwise.

Big updates, I'm waiting on somemore parts but I should be ready to crank this beast over in another week or so.

-J
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Long time no post

Wow, I haven't touched this thread in almost exactly a year. Been busy with work, life, cars.

Update:
                        Refreshed motor started right up
                        Car got Koni yellows and H&R races
                        bucket seat and steering wheel
                        4.10LSD installed
                        IE bigass sway bar kit installed

Garagistic steering linkage replaced conversion kit

Wheels and tires installed
                        OE radio working, no AUX but future bluetooth
                        Trans ended up having some issues, so it was replaced with a good unit
                        Rear subframe/trailing arm/bushings refreshed, with Garagistic toe/camber kit
                        Brakes redone w/ EBC yellowstuff, IE lines, rebuilt the calipers
                        Another friggin oil pan gasket
                        Tons of other random parts I've forgotten about.

Car has gone to Auto Club Speedway Roval course twice now, and a couple autox. Running good. All the belts flew off at an autox, and it overheated quite badly. Seemed to be ok after throwing on some new belts. Car stays cool on course, with some usual heatsoak towards the end of the day. Running 2:18 which aint bad for 140hp and a noob driver.

Also got into this game... not too much of a fan but trying to get thru the project

Bad news, the motor has slight knock when cold, and theres a driveline vibration i can't fix. Seems to pull hard anyways and oil analysis came out ok. But I'm done throwing parts at this old motor....this thread might turn into another M60 thread very soon...
                        We're in deep now boys
                        1988 340iL - Track car
                        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Please check out our $2000 Time Attack Challenge car here!
                          I've been told the series is pretty entertaining...
                          Made another terrible financial decision and bought a cheap, shitty 240 off Craigslist. Please laugh at my misfortunes.#buying #car #s13
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

update

Not too many big updates in the last few months. Car has been pretty good, other than needing a new ignition switch and a fuel leak repaired.
                            Got a strut tower bar, and maybe a little hint for the future...

Recently went to Streets of Willow Springs at WSIR for the first time, which was tons of fun and I will be going back soon. Ran a 1:41, which i was happy with. Terrible video:

A couple autoX in the mix, and then went to Buttonwillow 13CW again last weekend. Ran a 2:20 which i am very pleased about.

I think I can knock another 5 sec or so off.
                            Better video:

"Test fitted" my friend's homemade plywood splitter... hm maybe a possibility...

I'm pretty excited about the next step with this car. Everyone likes more power.
                            We're in deep now boys
                            1988 340iL - Track car
                            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

M60 update

I picked up this M60 from an abandoned swap, its from a '95 740iL. Only problem is its Nikasil, but this was a california car, leak down passed, and compression passed so I'm willing to take what little risk there is left.
                              Fairly clean motor, some new parts and some new gaskets (that I will end up re doing because Im anal like that). Immediatly started taking 'er apart:

A little gunky oil build up, I would have liked for this car to have had a little more frequent oil changes. A little clean up tho, nothing looks bad.

One of the coil pack studs on this valve cover broke off, I will be sourcing another valve cover as I would like a nice set to powder coat.

Intake ports are clean:

Exhaust ports are black as always

Injectors are nasty, getting them rebuilt by MEPEH. This will be my second time using them, I highly recommend.

It seems like this motor hasn't been taken apart much before (or just by a shop that didnt throw away the valley insulation:

Valley pan had lots of crap in there, some kind of leak in the past.

The leak caused the insulation to melt onto one of the water pipes. I dont really want to replace this pipe, so I may just leave the gunk on it. Its really really hard to get off.

Valley pan cleaned up, even tho it will be replaced:

The valley cleaned

And this is why I elected to open the whole 'refreshed' motor back up to check everything. All four knock sensors basically crumbled when i took them off

All these stupid little torx bolts were seized, a combo of vicegrips and a grinder got them all off eventually.

Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM. Reason: fixed pictures
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Hey - whatever site your hosting your pix in is messing with you. I was looking forward to the M60 deets, but no joy on pictures. Keep up the work man. I feel the same way about my build thread... Good luck man
                                Paynemw
                                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X