No announcement yet.

'89 318i 6 speed m50b32tu turbo swap build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! This thing will put down just a bit more power than that ol' m40 :)

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      Nice work! This thing will put down just a bit more power than that ol' m40 :)
      Thats the plan!

Anticipating it should be good for 450-500hp
      RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

I'm liking this.

Any thoughts on timeserts for the headbolt holes in the block? I think it's fairly common, but pazi88 on youtube (he has a build thread here as well, just can't remember his username) ran ~1.2bar on stock bolts without issue, so I doubt its a requirement.

Romraider is definitely coming along nicely. Just need a better MAF and a few changes to uncap the artificial flow limits in the ECU.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          I'm liking this.

Any thoughts on timeserts for the headbolt holes in the block? I think it's fairly common, but pazi88 on youtube (he has a build thread here as well, just can't remember his username) ran ~1.2bar on stock bolts without issue, so I doubt its a requirement.

Romraider is definitely coming along nicely. Just need a better MAF and a few changes to uncap the artificial flow limits in the ECU.
          Maybe the username is the same ;) Yes no problems using stock headbolts without timeserts. Next Engine Will have timeserts but that's only because the threads in alu-block seemed to be in bad shape.

I'm also planning to change to the stock ms41 also and tune it it for turbo setup using romraider. I'm already using it to tune my e36 daily with lots of NA mods and some customer cars and it's really easy to use.

Comment

I'm liking this.

In the process of time-serting the block at the moment. I tested the threads before hand and they held torque fine, but given the power and the boost I intend on running I didn't want to have to pull it down again until the bottom end needs doing.

Comment

Finished doing the wiring tonight.

Ran the wiring for the battery relocation to the boot, fitted the e36 remote terminals on the m3 wiring cover in the engine bay.

Diagnostic port is in the factory e30 location next to the fuse box and all wires under the 318i harness covers.

Much happier with the new fitment.
              Attached Files

Comment

Spent the day today tearing out the 4.10 diff the 318I came with and mounting the 3.15 from the scrap car.

Getting the diff out was much easier than the last one. Knowing what to do already, made it a much smoother process.

Mounting the new diff proved difficult, particularly with my limited equipment. Managed to get there in the end, using various toolboxes as supports and a very careful balancing act with the the jack and a piece of mdf.

Only the one progress pic of the nearly finished mounting.
                Attached Files

Comment

Haven't made much progress lately. Only thing of note was relocating the clutch reservoir from the side of the strut tower to the back of it where the battery tray has been cut out. Cut the old bracket and welded it into the new location

This was done to allow more space for the downpipe.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ba114; 05-22-2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Any luck wiring up an OBD2 port? I haven't been on RR for a while.

Comment

Any luck wiring up an OBD2 port? I haven't been on RR for a while.
                      Port is wired. The issue was that my ecu was actually one of the very early ms41.0 dmes that wasn't flashable or even obd2 compliant.

Part number was 1427703. Have bought another one that should be here today.
                      Last edited by ba114; 05-22-2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Ok I've hooked up all the correct wires. Checked and double checked. Still can't read the new dme which I've confirmed is a readable/flash able version.

Don't know what is going on now. Im certain I only need 4 wires hooked up:
                        Dme 28 to obd 5 (ground)
                        Dme 26 to obd 16 (battery 12v)
                        Dme 88 to obd 7 (kline)
                        Bridge Dme 26 to Dme 60 for read (program)

Dme 49 gets power on ignition through the harness.

Have tried with my d-can cable to no avail. The power led basically shuts off as soon as i try to read.
                        No luck getting my Bluetooth dongle and torque app to connect either. Power led stays lit and the read led flashes but Never finds the right protocol.

Waiting on a kkl cable to arrive and test.
                        Also have a US ms41.1 Dme on the way to try.
                        Last resort now is to find a spare harness to build a bench flash rig and see if that's successful.
                        Last edited by ba114; 05-23-2016, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Sorted out the OBD2 port issue.

First of all, it seems MS41.0 is not OBD2 thus no matter what, you wont be able to use normal OBD2 readers/loggers to scan it.

Once that was sorted out, i made a bench flasher:
                          DME pin 88 - OBD2 pins 7&8
                          DME pin 28 - OBD2 pins 4&5
                          DME pin 26 - OBD2 pin 16
                          External 12v source to DME 26, 49 & 60.

This FINALLY worked for allowing me to read/write the new flashable MS41.0 (1432401) DME i bought.
                          Once i flashed it to MS41.1, i could now connect and read fault codes using my bluetooth ELM OBD dongle and the torque pro app. The same applied for MS41.2.
                          Flashing back to MS41.0 resulted in no longer being able to connect.

Looks like i'll be sticking with MS41.1 for a '98 Z3 2.8 as they also ran the aluminium block and the front mounted CPS as opposed to the internally/rear mounted CPS on other M52 based engines.

I then wired up the OBD port in the car to test reading/writing. No go. Would not connect again. Bashed my head against the wall for a bit and then figured id try reading without the diag port cover on. YEP, could connect with the cover off. Put it back on, instant disconnection.

After checking MS41.0 and MS41.1 ETMs, i discovered that if the harness came from an MS41.0 based car, then the diag port cover has different internal bridges. I added a wire bridge from pin 15-20 on the back of the circuit board and removed pin 19 from the board. Put the cover back on and succeeded in connecting once again.

Comment

Great to see another AUS E30 conversion in the making!

Comment

Glad you figured it all out and working. I still need to wire up an OBD2 port for my glovebox.

I found that MS41.2 seems to get the most attention on romraider, vanos adjustments and launch control sounded cool, so I ended up converting my ecu to 41.2 and just copied the 41.1 fuel/timing maps over. Runs great like that.

Comment

I'd thought about doing that, but with so much still undefined, I'm not sure everything needed to cater for the difference between aluminium and iron blocks, and CPS differences exists yet.

I'll try 41.1 and 41.2 (with tables copied from ms41.1) and see how things go
                                Last edited by ba114; 06-06-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X