Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni STR.Ts for stock E30 Eta?

Hey guys (and any gals)...

Later this year I'll be likely looking at doing suspension again, hoping to get a full set of matched strut inserts for front the shocks for the rear.

Been shopping around some Canadian sources, and found a site that has Koni STR.Ts... full set of 4, $419 CDN. One of the better prices I've seen. Bilsteins will cost me at least 500 before taxes. I'm currently on KYB up front, and can get them considerably cheaper, about $250 for the full set.

Anyone know anything about these Konis? Will I need anything special beyond bump stop and strut bearings/rear mounts for these?

Any other suggestions for a stock setup?
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

STR.T's won't compare to Bilsteins. Think of them as a OEM+ shock. I'm currently installing them with H&R OE Sports.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I'm all for Konis, but I've only heard bad things about STR.T's.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I'm all for Konis, but I've only heard bad things about STR.T's.
        I've seen a few bad things about them too, but it seems to come down to human error.
        My Garage
        Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          I've seen a few bad things about them too, but it seems to come down to human error.
          I mostly mean people thinking they're something they aren't, and being disappointed by travel or valving. I think they're meant as a stock replacement part.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I mostly mean people thinking they're something they aren't, and being disappointed by travel or valving. I think they're meant as a stock replacement part.
            Ah ok, thats what I was getting at too. I've seen some people disappointed that they performed like shit with they're H&R Race Springs. I think they are stock replacements, maybe a little better, idk. I just know to use them on Stock springs, M3 springs, or OE Sports. I got them because they were on sale.
            My Garage
            Feedback

Comment

Thanks for the input... yeah, at this time, I'm running a stock setup, my E30 is a daily driver and don't do anything crazy, and no tracking. As long they are at least equivalent to OE with good longevity, I'd be happy.

Any other options outside of Bilstein, Koni or KYB?
              Estoguy

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I'm also installing these with H&R oe springs. I have them sitting in the garage right now. Most of the info I got said they were better than stock, but not as good as the yellows (adjustable) or as harsh as the bilsteins. Which should be perfect for me, slightly lower and better handling, but not very different than stock.

Comment

I have STR.ts on my stock e46 with sport suspension. They are great.

So I tried them in my e30 with h&r 50406s. They bottomed out with every small bump (front only). They are only good for OEM ride height.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

They are a budget shock, are you planning to upgrade down the road? If so wait a few extra months and buy shocks then don't buy twice. I would compare these to older Boge units which are not bad for a couple of years but if I was planning to mod the car I wouldn't do it twice if I could avoid doing so.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I'll report back when I install mine. I'll be running them with H&R OE Sports (1" Drop).
                      My Garage
                      Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                        I'll report back when I install mine. I'll be running them with H&R OE Sports (1" Drop).
                        Soooo... ? What was the verdict on them? :)
                        Estoguy

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                          Soooo... ? What was the verdict on them? :)
                          I ended up going Koni yellow and Ground Control before I could even install the STR.Ts. I'll be posting them for sale if anyone else wants to try them out.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

I tried to get STRs when we first got the eta but they were sadly out of stock for months. The car had new bilstein tourings up front so we just got a pair for the rear and a set of OE Sports. I think the STR is Konis equivalent to the Touring, being as people are saying...an upgraded stock replacement. I am solidly in the Koni yellow camp for a lowered car and find the tourings to be excellent for what they do....provide excellent control while being DD comfortable. My instincts say the STRs would do that at least as well

I would still grab a set of STRs if we're werent on the verge of a head swap with the expectation of going to yellows. Color me Koni.
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                            X