Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s54 swap no fuel issue

Hi,

Currently doing an s54 swap into an e36 (I don't have an e30 so I'm just a lurker here)

I am having a problem that I am not getting my fuel pump to run when cranking/acc on. Fuel pump runs when I supply relay with the signal but there is no signal from my DME.

I have had the EWS deleted by a reputable guy this side of the pond (I'm in Ireland). Do I need to supply + to pin 33 on my x60004? Currently I have nothing connected here as I understood that with EWS deleted that I would not need a signal wire here.

Should I have a relay in place of EWS?

Thanks in advance for your help, heres a link to my build, its still in early stages. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-euro-m3-power
    Last edited by Dave V; 03-22-2017, 03:27 AM.

not able to see your build thread with out becoming a member can you post a different link

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Fixed that I think. Let me know if its still not working.

Anybody got ideas on what should be going to pin 33?
      Last edited by Dave V; 03-22-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

you don't need to connect anything to EWS if it's deleted in the computer. Which pin are you using for the fuel pump?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You should not need to do anything at X60004 pin 33.

The fuel pump signal originates at X60002 pin 11. X60002 pin 11 is connected to a wire that passes through the firewall and connects to the fuel pump relay via X6021. The wire should be Black / Violet.

Depending on which harness you have, X6021 can have a different number of pins, so trace back to X60002 to find the appropriate wire.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The fuel pump relay activation signal comes from X60004 pin 10 on the Euro DME and goes to pin 4 on the standard green relay without going through the X6021.
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              You should not need to do anything at X60004 pin 33.

The fuel pump signal originates at X60002 pin 11. X60002 pin 11 is connected to a wire that passes through the firewall and connects to the fuel pump relay via X6021. The wire should be Black / Violet.

Depending on which harness you have, X6021 can have a different number of pins, so trace back to X60002 to find the appropriate wire.
              Thanks fred, I must have that wired incorrectly then. Hopefully it should start when I try that, will report back!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                The fuel pump relay activation signal comes from X60004 pin 10 on the Euro DME and goes to pin 4 on the standard green relay without going through the X6021.
                oh shoot, that's kind of weird that there'd be a difference!

So if the activation signal is from X60004 pin 10 and bypasses X6021, then where is the activation signal being lost?

Comment

Wiring it to the x6021 worked, the pump now runs and cuts out as it should with the ignition on. Still no start, it seems that the previous owner removed the fuel rail and lost the o rings and all of the clips to hold the injectors in but at least the wiring is correct. The funniest thing was I had already marked the x6021 wire with some tape saying it was for the fuel pump, thinking back i was confused that there would be two wires from the ecu to the relay so I would like to know what pin 10 x60004 does.

Andrew, the x60004 wasn't giving out any signal whatsoever, I might disconnect that wire tonight just to see what happens.

Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

Great!

I would check the injector rail to see if they are firing by using a 12V test light or multimeter.

My experience on first startup was that it took a fairly long time to prime the fuel system. If I were to do it again, I would likely unhook the supply line at the fitting underneath the intake plenum, place the hose into a container, and manually activate the fuel pump until fuel starts flowing. That way you can avoid an extended cranking. I think it might have taken a total of 10 - 15 five second long turns of the key in the ignition to get it to fire, because I was starting from dry.

Comment

oh shoot, that's kind of weird that there'd be a difference!

So if the activation signal is from X60004 pin 10 and bypasses X6021, then where is the activation signal being lost?
                      The euro car uses a regular relay unlike the US cars, which use the PWM relay.

Interestingly, either pin will work on either DME. you can run a US DME with the standard relay output and it will work with no changes other than wiring.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

When I say no start I mean I didn't crank long enough to start, the main fuel supply to the rail was pissing fuel everywhere because there was no o ring in place. I got a bit of a fright so I killed it and disconnected the battery.

Just noticed there's an e34 subforum

I hope to put my s50b30 in my e34 when the e36 is done.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          The euro car uses a regular relay unlike the US cars, which use the PWM relay.

Interestingly, either pin will work on either DME. you can run a US DME with the standard relay output and it will work with no changes other than wiring.
                          Ah OK.

Dave, if you're using a normal 4 pole Bosch relay from X6021, you're probably going to hear a mechanical racket from the relay as it is being fed a rapidly switched 12V.

Your best bet, if you're using a regular, non-PWM fuel pump relay, is to use x60004 pin 10 to activate the fuel pump.

Comment

Ah OK.

Dave, if you're using a normal 4 pole Bosch relay from X6021, you're probably going to hear a mechanical racket from the relay as it is being fed a rapidly switched 12V.

Your best bet, if you're using a regular, non-PWM fuel pump relay, is to use x60004 pin 10 to activate the fuel pump.
                            I didn't hear a racket it sounded normal, is the pulsing 12v only on US models for EKP module supply?

The problem I was having is the x60004 was not giving me a signal from pin 10 to switch the relay. I was fairly confused when I had two trigger wires for the pump also. I'd like to get to the bottom of pin 10 being dead though. My fear now is that I won't have spark when I try to start it. Anyway I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Comment

Still no start :(

I have fuel pump coming on now, using the output of x6021 to the signal wire to the signal wire on my standard relay.

I still don't have spark or even a signal going to the coils although I do have + and ground at my coil connectors.

The ECU works when I swap it into my e46 m3, car starts albeit in limp mode
                              (my e36 ecu has programming for a MAP sensor and csl style airbox).

I'm just wondering now is there a minimum of things that need to be connected. I don't have the MAP sensor connected at this stage or oil/coolant temp/pressure.

I just want to get the engine started so that I can continue with tidying everything else up. Whats the minimum that the DME has to see to start the engine? Is there a brake light switch? Clutch? My e46 is SMG so I'm just trying to figure out whats different between the two and in turn whats causing my non starting problem. On the upside I'm enjoying reading build threads on here!

Comment

Working...
                              X