Factory Strut housing dissassembly questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory Strut housing dissassembly questions

Alright so I am pretty well up to my neck since I bought my e30. 32 year old 325e that I bought and it has pretty well fallen apart within the first week of ownership and it sat prior over A DECADE. This car was neglected by previous owners, since I have put quite some time in this car now I can tell the windshield seals have leaked for a while As it sat and collected water. I removed the pad there was a gallon in the driver floor board, I am in the middle of a DIY good sized rust repair and also a complete suspension refresh (bushings, joints, control arms, tie roads, mounts). And already had to have the driver rear frame repaired and spring perch fixed which was pretty costly, now I realized the front driver spring perch rotted a hole in it. No big deal I bought a new assembly on eBay used for 80 with shipping and the lower perch on the housing itself and the tube for the insert are in way better condition than my current assembly, however the dust cover for the rotor and brakes on this new one is mangled and rusted probably beyond sanding/grinding and some TLC, and also the bracket for the ball joints is in worse shape than my current assembly, for one why me? And for two is it possible for me to remove the dust cover and or the entire bracket off of the bottom without cutting the tube halfway and welding them together? (Would rather not fabricate this if I do not have to

I'm in the exact same boat...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobTapps88; 04-02-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The spindle is welded to the tube, you'd have to cut and weld to take that off.

pics needed to determine if that's even necessary imo

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        The spindle is welded to the tube, you'd have to cut and weld to take that off.

pics needed to determine if that's even necessary imo
        This is what I was afraid of.. jzx100 front coils and a modded mounting point??? I don't want to weld a grand to 30 year old steel..

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X