Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

I installed new tie rods/control arms/shocks & struts/ springs/ mounts on my 1990 325i about a month ago. The car has been driving just fine the entire time until recently whenever the car hits a bump the passenger side front strut/spring or something seems to get loose and make a clunk noise. I took the wheel off and jacked up the car but could not find anything loose. When the car is parked and I raise the car up by hand at the fender it will make the same clunk noise on the way back down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like it could be something to do with the upper strut mount .
    Check for movement when you bounce the suspension .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

re-torque strut mount nuts?

Comment

i retorqued the nuts but they weren't loose, it really sounds like the spring is moving? but I do not see how that is possible, i might just reassemble the entire strut this weekend.

Comment

Is it coming from the rear or front suspension?

Comment

front, as said in the original post ;)

Comment

i have the same problem, i think it might be ball joints on my car.

Comment

it is definitely isnt my ball joints as those were just replaced

Comment

Wow, the strut was loose inside the strut housing, somehow the large nut that screws into the housing came loose?

Comment

Working...
                  X