the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Haha I won't be passing anyone but I hope this is the feeling they have when my lap times are faster than theirs

That funny because I wish I didn't have a white one. Artikblau is sexy

Lol ya well I'm sure when I polish and wax mine it will appeal to me more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • 85 325e Project
    • 2010 Subaru STi hatch
    • 01 e39 M5 (sold) :down:
    • 00' E39 540ia (sold)
    • 89' 325is (sold)
    • 97' Ram 2500 12v Cummins
    • 2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    • 2006 Yamaha YZ450F

Comment

So today was fun. I improved on my last personal best but didn't improve as much as I hoped. I was pushing it a little harder and actually had a spin in the infield. New personal best is 1:45, still a ways off from what I should be doing but I'm just glad I improved and took it home with no scars

It was damn hot out there and I was cooking. Luckily people don't really take these wonderful little spots so I will claim then when I see them

These Dunlops have been doing well, just 2 more events this year and then I'll be looking to replace them. Probably something a little stickier because the only cars that were on me were running toyo proxies or Hoosiers. I had to let off to let them get by me when I finally got to a straight . Got a few safety related items I'm going to do soon too. Fingers crossed that it will work out

And now an action shot a man I met sent me . He has more and I think there's a photographer who took pics too.

But as the day settled I parked up with my friend and we took some last pics to call it a day

Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 09:12 AM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Stuff is happening... I'm about to add some weight in the back and that's not going to happen without taking some weight out first. Damn tar in the back is as stubborn as I am. Got some out but I have a long way to go. Took out the brackets for the never going back in seat since it will be in the way of what's going in....

Pic of the ugly

Hopefully I'll have some sexy updates soon
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Seat delete is finally done? Looking forward to the update.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Lower Panel that we made is carpeted and ready, yes I am going to carpet the entire rear panel, but that parcel shelf and back panel will have carpet right on top of the metal. No reason to add more material
            Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 09:30 AM.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Regular readers might remember a fun experience I had back in the summer of 2014 when my friend locked my keys in my trunk. This led to drilling my trunk lock out and replacing it with a random trunk lock which means for the last 3 years I haven't been able to lock the trunk. Not a big deal but I've always wanted to fix this and when my VIN cut keys didn't work in any of the locks I knew I had a fun side project waiting for me someday. Recently I decided to order a door lock rebuild kit because now my driver door lock also didn't match ( ghetto right?). Levent and Guten Parts came through with a rebuild kit and along with my brand new VIN cut keys (neither of which was the style I ordered ) I felt it was time to move closer to having one key work on all the locks and igntion Should be simple right? Lets see the kind of fun that I can get myself into?...

So anyways today I figured I would have at it. Watched a few YouTube video tutorials and read a few step by steps and went for it.

Would this go off without a hitch, or would some random issue make me question my life decisions? Let's find out!...

Here's what I started with, pretty much all laid out and ready to go.

I had heard that these valet keys were slightly shorter than the Master keys. In case you still don't believe it, here's more proof

Moving on, I have the correct VIN key for my car but I don't know the right pins and figured I would start with 4 Home pins and 4 Forum pins and work from that. Didn't look too bad to start with

Trial error ensued until success

Tried it inside the cylinder and we have movement! YES! Let's finish assembly and celebrate with some tea...

Here it is assembled next to my lock that was originally in the driver door.

Sadly this isn't a happy ending, because somehow after getting the pin in that holds it all together the key no longer turns anymore .

Waffles....
              Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 09:25 AM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

The driver's lock is the most complex of all, with an extra section and spring for the unlock inhibit / deadbolt function. the valet key won't work the unlock inhibit stuff, trunk lock or glove box lock.

You may want to work with the pass door lock cylinder first to figure out the right tumbler combo for your dealer cut keys. Work only with the master keys first, then try the valet key later. The way you did it is how I did mine, getting the height right on each tumbler. Try transferring the tumblers you selected to the passenger lock and see if it works.

Or you can throw more money at the problem and buy a replacement lock cylinder set. Comes with all new locks and a full set of steel cut keys. Pricey but it's super nice!

Last edited by bradnic; 05-29-2017, 07:32 AM.
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

one other thing - the tumblers come in from opposite sides of the cylinder, and there are small springs that push them out. Not sure I see tumblers on the "bottom" side of your cylinder in the pic you posted? I'd repeat the tumbler selection process again.
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I'll come back to the damn keys another day, but today I received a few packages. One was my SFI padding for my roll bar so that will go on one day when I'm bored but I got something else from Latvia. No, not my mail order bride, she's stuck in customs. It's a part that BMW usa wouldn't let me buy because it's for a RHD E30.

Figured now would be a good time to bust out the SEM trim paint and get the old pass side plastic to match the new driver side plastic I got. Paint booth is setup in the background

Again, regular readers might remember that the previous owner made a homemade single wiper conversion. I guess since he's a household name I can call it the red46 single wiper conversion. Not sure what's going on in the middle but here's a sneak peak at the mods

Space is also at a premium because this piece is made to go over a blank spot but mines not blank, mines modified. Sadly this means the grinder comes out to not only shave down the bolt that holds the assembly together but also to grind this mini nub on the backside of the trim piece.

It's not perfectly flush but I really didn't have the time to tear apart the whole thing so this will do for now until I get around to modifying the whole wiper assembly to get another 3mm of clearance...

I'm fairly satisfied with this and will probably never do anything with this again until it really becomes an eyesore.

Now about those keys...
                    Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Spent a few minutes with the car and installed the correct SFI padding. Regardless of what may or may not happen with this car this was something I wanted to get done ASAP

Laid out the padding to make sure my 3ft section was enough and it was.

Not hard to do, and I'm glad I changed it

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Installed the rear seat delete panel that a few of us have been working on lately

Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 09:30 AM.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

End of an era... goodbye LTW

You thought the car was gone?... haha nope. Not yet

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

You got me...

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                              You got me...
                              We will get the last laugh when he sells it and regrets it
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                                We will get the last laugh when he sells it and regrets it

I already do regret the thought of it being gone and trust me I'm trying to find a way to keep it ... I'm trying
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X