No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The engine. Its been sitting for a long time, but is healthy. I will give it a good cleaning before I drop it in the car.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Gonna paint the block/cover at all? or leave plain metallic.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
        Gonna paint the block/cover at all? or leave plain metallic.
        Its aluminum, no reason to paint it. I'll give it a clean up before I put it in the car, as well as polish the valve cover to a mirror shine. I also have a black valve cover I can use.

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

this thread never fails to rustle my jimmies. really happy to see you are posting again will.

is that engine a 1750?
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Looks like my buddies old Berlina sold on BAT and will be heading back to the west coast.. now I have to convince him to get his current Berlina up to snuff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              this thread never fails to rustle my jimmies. really happy to see you are posting again will.

is that engine a 1750?
              There was a pause in available time, as well as $$$$. The $ issue is now gone, however the time issue is still present

yes that is a 1750 that makes about 160 hp at the flywheel, and I'm doing my best to make it look like a 1300 to the untrained eye.

I got the whole front suspension off the car, scrubbed and more or less ready for paint. The stock springs are about 1/3 taller than the Alfaholics race springs that are going in. That fender gap that is seen in the pic, will be mostly gone, with no engine in the car. Oh, the micro sized front sway bar really has nothing on the 1 inch bar that is replacing it. The Alfaholics front swaybar is massive. There will be zero bodyroll with this suspension. Amazingly, all the ball joints, tie rod ends and pivots are in perfect shape, as are the rubber boots. Not bad for being 59 years old.

Tomorrows order of business is to get the ball rolling on the custom 4.10 54% lockup LSD rear end. Another not cheap part, but totally needed.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

She's seen better days...

Not sure why it's not embedding....

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Flaxel.

Comment

Just write 'Not a 1750' on the top, enthusiasts wont know the difference. Lol.

Cant wait to see it done, make me want to buy an Alfa. Keep getting this dumb or not dumb idea to buy a Milano or Milano Verde and make an Alfa 75 clone.
                  willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
                    She's seen better days...

Not sure why it's not embedding....

https://imgur.com/kU5kTFV
                    That will be a VERY large hole in the ground into which you will throw mountains of $$$$$$$$. Knowing that, perhaps it might be worth building that into a race car and forgetting about all the missing trim pieces and other hard to find bits.

Good luck with that rebuild.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I made some progress over the weekend. I got my whole front suspension refreshed, no more Sprint on stilts.

The new front sway bar is no joke...

The passenger side front suspension all redone. I found pitting in both front wheel bearings on that side so I wasn't able to get the hub assembled.

In other news, the custom modified 105 rear end has been ordered. The diff is a 4.10 LSD with a 54% lockup. That should be done by the middle of July.

Will
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        That will be a VERY large hole in the ground into which you will throw mountains of $$$$$$$$. Knowing that, perhaps it might be worth building that into a race car and forgetting about all the missing trim pieces and other hard to find bits.

Good luck with that rebuild.

Will
                        Oh right....this was a debuild actually. So we have every single trim piece. My pops and I stripped the car of anything we could and trashed the shell. It suffered serious frame damage on top of an engine fire. At 167k+ miles, I think she lived a good life.

That was my moms. My dads is red and doing much much better, albeit disassembled. But still.

Pops informed me we will possibly rebuild his this winter! (He turboed his spider once out of warrantee)

Teaser (and a photo of the good angle of the blue one)

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Flaxel.

Comment

Interesting one for sale:::

1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT - $4000 (Downingtown)

1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT. 77k miles. Trying to downsize the number of car projects I have. Current Pa antique tags. Runs and drives but needs some minor work to really be roadworthy. Has a low mileage engine (65k) with alquatti cams, dual sidedraft dellortos, header, and Ansa exhaust. Needs carbs cleaned and adjusted. Recent brake master cyl, & clutch master cyl. New water pump, BWA mags & steering wheel. Euro bumpers, car was lowered with GTV6 front torsion bars & rear springs. Body is rust free, very nice interior with the original 'early' door panels, headliner & rare Behr AC. Dash is still uncracked. Descent paint with some minor dings & scratches. Hood & roof do need waxed. A very solid car with a bunch of rare period performance upgrades. I don't think you'll find another one like it. Cash only in person. Please no scammers. I can transfer the 'antique tag' to the new owner if you want.
                          ** I also have a parts car of the same year that can go with it if your interested.
                          R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                          └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

I like it.

Do cars rust badly in Philadelphia? Check very carefully - Alfettas rust. Engine compartment is grimy, but should clean up. Little chrome bumpers, kept up it seems. Nice price if no rust IMO.

With the right wheels and height, those can look really good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1978 Alfetta Sprint Veloce turbo stainless window trim off.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	7192207

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfetta GT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7192208

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the rear hatch edge is mostly bondo.
                              willschnitz

Comment

It has the feel of something that was kept inside. If the miles are real, that's good (although change all the rubber etc if it's been sitting). Check under the chrome at the rear hatch window and the windshield / cowling for rust.

My experience from Alfas of this era is that those guys who knew what they were doing and loved them, they were set up well and were fast and handled well, but they weren't too worried about a showroom clean engine and maybe they didn't wash it often - they just drove them.

Comment

Working...
                                X