What size tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size tires?

I am in the process of restoring another ix and doing a manual swap on it too. I have some sweet borbet type BS 4x100 16" rims with an offset of 35. Iirc they are 7.5" wide. The tires that were on the rims were junk and 205/50/16, but the rims seem like a 225 size tire would be better suited for the width of the rim. My question is would a 225/50 tire fit without any issues or would I need to go down to a 45? I am running bilstein HD shocks with stock springs. Don't want to lower the car or roll fenders or run spacers either. Thanks in advance for any opinion or experience on the matter.
    Last edited by wodcutr; 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM.
    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Read the ix wheel thread and didn't really get a definite answer. I know someone has run 225/50/16 tires on their car, but they never said if they had to roll the fenders to do so or if the tires rubbed on the strut without spacers. Should I play it safe and just buy a 205/55/16?
    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Do 225/45/16 or 205/50/16. Both are proper size.
      225/50 and 205/55 are oversized and will look balloon-ish imo

Comment

I realize what you are saying is good, to stay with stock diameter tires, but there is way more selection of tires in the one size bigger option. The 225/50/16 actually have the same sidewall measurements as the stock 205/55/15. They are a full inch bigger in diameter but I figure that would fill up the wheel well a little better. I just don't want rubbing issues as I don't want to modify the car to allow the bigger tires. If it can't happen, then I will just run a 205/50/16 and call it good.

Comment

Working...
        X