No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are pics of my bikes, the Honda Nighthawk I mentioned earlier in the thread, and a 1987 FZ600 I just picked up. 15K miles, nice honest but used condition, needs the normal stuff from sitting for years.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
      Here are pics of my bikes, the Honda Nighthawk I mentioned earlier in the thread, and a 1987 FZ600 I just picked up. 15K miles, nice honest but used condition, needs the normal stuff from sitting for years.
      They both look excellent, have been considering buying a VT500 that's been sitting in my Dad's shed for a long time, but seems like an easy fix, as my SRX600 work has stalled after encountering some fuel tank issues.

Comment

Thanks!! Both were cheap finds on CL where I got lucky.

What is wrong with the SRX fuel tank? Just went through months of tank issues with a second Nighthawk I have but didn't post a pic of.

It seems Yamaha has better parts availability than Honda, at least for my models. Makes you appreciate the factory and aftermarket support of the e30s!!

Comment

Questionable amounts of rust, the tank shut off valve (for when you remove the tank) is flowing poorly and the replacement tank cap doesn't want to play nicely with the OE gasket. Parts are mostly available, but of course annoyingly pricey.

Comment

Roguetoaster, you probably know this stuff but...

Your original paint looks like nice so I would recommend Evaporust, most Tractor Supply Stores usually have a gallon in stock. It really does work, won't harm paint, and is non-toxic.

The petcock probably has a diaphragm and may not flow even switched to "on" unless vacuum is applied.

Well, I have a replacement gas tank cap showing up today for the FZ, hopefully mine fits.

Comment

Honda Dream by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
              "Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Comment

Cool Dream!

I sold my father's CB77 305 Superhawk that he owned since 1969 about a year ago, it was an original survivor with fairly high miles but decent shape.

It would have been nice to keep but I barely ever rode it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Parts are mostly available, but of course annoyingly pricey.
                  That's my least favorite part about motorcycles. I go to buy a replacement part and because of smaller sales volume it is of course twice the price of the equivalent part for my car.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                    Roguetoaster, you probably know this stuff but...

Your original paint looks like nice so I would recommend Evaporust, most Tractor Supply Stores usually have a gallon in stock. It really does work, won't harm paint, and is non-toxic.

The petcock probably has a diaphragm and may not flow even switched to "on" unless vacuum is applied.

Well, I have a replacement gas tank cap showing up today for the FZ, hopefully mine fits.
                    Good thoughts there, I certainly didn't think of tank petcock having a diaphragm. I suppose I could of looked at the factory manual, but who has time to actually find a solution for a problem rather than moaning about it.

Comment

Actually, I changing direction for the gas tank on the FZ600.

I used up $23 of Evaporust already but didn't get it perfectly clean, the more modern tanks have so many baffles and surfaces...

I filled the tank with Pinesol to break down the varnished gas/gunk and then I will fill with white vinegar (cheap) to attack the rust. I will probably let both sit for 3-4 days to let them work.

Comment

Got my double seat back from the re-upholstery shop

Honda Dream double seat reupholstered by Maven Customs by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
                        "Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                            :o:o:o:o That's beautiful

Comment

This is my 1981 CB650c, it's my first bike, done a decent amount of work on it, still needs more but it's a good bike.

I'm getting a 82 ironhead from a coworker soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                              92 525it 5 speed.
                              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

So I've been taking a step back on flipping bikes to focus on my personal machines, plus I'm planning on moving here in the next few months, so everything motorcycle related has been more or less put on the back burner for now, except for riding that is!

Took a trip up to one of my all time favorite spots last weekend, The Cinders in Flagstaff AZ. Some of you AZ natives will know how killer this area is to ride, place has a ton of history, NASA even used this place as a test site for the moon landings.

I went for memorial day too, but I got sick on the way up and was deathly ill most of the trip, like throwing up in the dirt ill, it was terrible, I pushed myself to ride a bit that time, but I was so exhausted I couldn't do much. Finally got to make up for it this past weekend, and as always had a killer time exploring and riding, crazy this time as there was no one up there, I usually go on holiday weekends and theres tons of people, which is good and bad, but the place was more or less empty.

Mainly stuck to riding my WR, banshee made it up one hill and fouled the plugs lol, I have similar jetting and mods as my buddies banshee and he has no issues, and when pulling the plugs I noticed they were incorrectly gapped and not the correct plug, so that sat back at camp most of the time, wasnt too bummed as the WR is my main ride, banshee is just an extra toy that will soon be on the chopping block for a strip and build.

Anyways, some pics!

Camp all set up, first night was on my own, second night friends showed up. The truck tent is pretty neat, but hoping to upgrade here soon to something easier to take up/down, this takes me a bit over an hour to build and break down, plus it ties the truck down so I cant move it. I'm looking to simplify, either some kind of pop up, van, something, not sure

View looking out past the cinders and into the expanse of AZ

And the view behind that last pic, on top of "Double Crater", with the other side of that bowl being the infamous "$100 Hill"

This is the on the cusp of "Double crater", that last pic was taken way up on top of the highest point on the other side of the bowl. The crazy thing is how the landscape tends to plateau up here, you'll climb one huge hill to hit one plateau, and then climb another to hit another plateau, and so on and so forth until you either cant go up any higher or your machine can't make it, all with amazing views along the way.

Looking down into the bowl, last time on memorial day, a side by side had tried to go up that other hill at night, which usually only bikes with paddles or high powered rails can make it up, and rolled it back down, resulting in all the passengers to be air lifted out. The side by side sat in the bowl for some time before they removed it, and its not the first time that has happened either...

And one last shot of the Volcano that caused all this around 1000 years ago, that big hill on the right is Sunset Crater, sadly roped off as its a nature preserve, crazy to think and be close to something like that, all that raw power that formed the landscape around where we rode, its awesome!

Until next time

Comment

Working...
                                X