No announcement yet.

M42 oil filter housing passage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha I think I worded that poorly - there are 8 connection points. All of the lines will be -10.

Got shipping notices for everything, so should have some pictures to post here in a few days. Not sure how long it will take to get everything welded up, but shouldn't be too bad.

In the meantime, I discovered that the manifold is cracked. Again. What a pain.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Progress! At this point, the adapter is all ready to be welded up, and all the parts have showed up at the house.

Problem number one was that the drainback valve coming out of the pump is proud of the housing when fully open. The tubing I had around was not big enough ID, and because it opens so far, I couldn't just weld the fitting on directly like I had planned. I could have removed the valve, but I do like the idea of having a few check valves in there to keep the system from siphoning when the car is shut off.

Second problem is that unfiltered oil port (the little triangle opening) that feeds the crankcase. Cross sectional area of that passage is around 0.0578 in^2, and conveniently, with the cap bolt not installed anymore, there is a filtered oil hole already drilled that is 0.0471 in^2! Just have to drill, tap, and plug the bolt pilot hole to seal it as shown here, and plug off the triangle hole. Much easier than I was anticipating.

The left connection is purposefully at an angle so that the hexes clear each other on the fittings. The riser tube on the left is actually the center section of a pair of 1 1/8" dirt bike bars, taper ground on the inside for the best possible flow around that check valve when it's open. The black banjo fitting is the turbo oil feed, and the 1/8 NPT port will be oil temperature. Oil pressure will be measured at the outlet of the oil cooler.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Wow, looking good! I like that you took the time to ensure that filtered oil would be supplied to the timing case...it irks me that BMW chose to lube the chain with unfiltered oil.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

A lot of things irk me about the M42's design, but that isn't one of them. It just isn't that big of a deal.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Brief thread update, now that I'm back from vacation. I'll be finishing up lines and a few other things here in the next couple days.

Lower cooler mount, using the AC condenser rubber puck:

Upper bracket with one cooler attachment and the intercooler in front of it. I know, stacked coolers aren't as efficient, but the oil cooler is big enough that I don't think it will be a problem. Obviously this wouldn't work if you have AC.

Took a lot of new brackets to make this work. Yeah, I know I screwed up one of the bracket holes... was in an awkward location and couldn't get a transfer punch in there.

Old vs. new:

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

2 days complete at Indianapolis Motor Speedway running the GP track. The oil cooler is working extremely well. Oil pan temperatures previously were ~300F 15 minutes into a seeion at Putnam, and now the (relatively hotter) main oil rifle inlet temperature stabilizes right around 240F even after a half hour session with looooong stretches at WOT. So it works! Pics to come eventually.

EDIT: only a minimal drop in oil pressure from the extra plumbing, probably within gauge measurement error. Seems to be down ~2 psi at hot idle (sits right around 17 psi at 850 rpm) and no real change at higher engine speed. Anywhere above 3000 rpm is a tick under 60 psi, which is exactly how it was before until the oil started getting really hot.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Awesome. Glad to hear that this worked out so well.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                  Well, this pretty much has to happen now. I'm officially into the 4 digits of $$ making this work....but here's to hoping I only have to do it once.

Improved Racing suckered me in with some of their badass parts:

Integrated remote oil filter and oil thermostat. I went with the 215F option, since the car sees enough street use still that it does still need to get warm.

Cooler will be a Mocal 34 row, 115 matrix cooler that is narrow enough to offer low pressure drop but tall enough to still have good surface area. It will mount between the intercooler and the radiator core, where the AC evaporator core normally would be.

Add 8 AN fittings, a bunch of line, and some adapters...this stuff adds up fast. But hopefully will have some progress worth taking pictures of soon here. And hopefully it will all go together well and be leak-free. I have high hopes, after measuring everything and mocking some stuff up.
                  Bit of necro never hurt anyone.
                  How does that sandwich plate fit on? Am I missing something
                  sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I didn't use any sandwich plates, so I guess I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're talking about the Improved Performance remote filter mount, it has lines running from the modified oil filter housing to the inlet, and moves the filter off of the engine. I will try to post pics of the engine bay later.

Unfortunately, I suffered an engine failure at the track. I believe I may have blown a hole in a piston, as I've pumped a significant amount of oil out the breather but do not appear to be burning any.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                      I didn't use any sandwich plates, so I guess I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're talking about the Improved Performance remote filter mount, it has lines running from the modified oil filter housing to the inlet, and moves the filter off of the engine. I will try to post pics of the engine bay later.

Unfortunately, I suffered an engine failure at the track. I believe I may have blown a hole in a piston, as I've pumped a significant amount of oil out the breather but do not appear to be burning any.
                      Oh right, so it just deletes the entire housing and uses a separate normal style filter elsewhere?
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Pics of remote filter/thermostat and cooler line routing.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Very nice work! I might have to give this a try myself, I don't have an oil temp gauge but I am sure it is getting hot. I've seen oil pressure as low as about 9psi at idle waiting on track to do another run. So I am sure the oil temperature has something to do with that.

But I would think you have cracked piston rings like me, my car doesn't burn oil either but it shoots it out the crankcase vent into the valve cover. I still need to pully my engine apart to confirm but I'm willing to bet we have the same issue.
                          -Dee
                          5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                          IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Yeah, that's an interesting thought. I still haven't done any checks on mine, and am planning to pull the engine out before I really tear into it anyway. I suppose detonation could cause either of those problems. Hopefully will have time to do some diagnosis work tonight, but my washer blew up the other day so also working on installing a new one of those. Projects, car and house, are never ending it seems.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I want to revisit this excellent thread as I recently disassembled by M42. Earlier it was thought that the timing case was feed by unfiltered oil, but I'm now thinking otherwise. Please follow along with my pictures and correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the front of the block. The freshly filtered oil enters the block where the red arrow is. However, there is a small passage from this hole to the small hole where the blue area is. In another words, filtered oil enters the block, and some of it gets diverted (makes a u-turn) back out the front of the block while the rest continues on to lubricate the block and the head.

Next the filtered oil enters the rear of the timing chain case where the blue arrow is. Here it travels up and to the right and exits the spray nozzle into to the chain case where the green arrow is. Evidently some of clean oil goes left to the passage where the yellow arrow is. This passage exits at the apex of the oil pressure relief valve, where maybe it lubricates the movement of that piston(?). The red arrow again shows where the filtered oil comes from the filter housing, thru the chain case, and into the block.

This the the part I still don't understand. Again we revisit the triangular hole at the bottom of the filter housing where unfiltered oil exits here....

......and enters our favorite little rectangular port. It just kind of seems to dead end here, I have no clue where this goes or what purpose it serves, but it does not seem to lubricate the chain case in my opinion.

Another view of the of the chain case side of our favorite rectangular port that just seems to dead end.

Thoughts?

Comment

I am guessing that it is an oil return for the long cap-securing bolt. When you remove the bolt, oil will run down into the bore hole. You can see some of the threads through the round hole in the pic of the rectangular port. If oil is forced out of there, it will fill up that void area, and just vent back into the main dirty-oil reservoir once it is full. Given what is below it, I do not know why they bothered with the little round hole through which you can see threads.

That tapped hole seems to go all the way through into the larger open area in the housing, and the return for that seems to be all the way at the bottom of the timing case, where oil can drain back into the pan below the regulator valve/plunger assembly. Since the long bolt goes into a through-hole, I am really not sure why they would have bothered with the upper relief.

So it is part of ensuring that you cannot hydrostatically lock the bolt and break the filter housing or blow out the gasket. That is my guess, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X