No announcement yet.

1985 325e | M60b40 | Fifty Shades of Bronzit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that having the shroud setup in the front like that might not be as efficient as in the back. Does it work as well? The idea is that with the shroud it pulls from all areas of the radiator vs the localized area of the fan, but I'm not sure if a pusher fan orientation will work the same way, will it?

Comment

Don't want to come across overly critical as I think your build is awesome, and congrats on graduating college! But I think that the current shroud setup isn't going to work as intended unless you put some seals on the sides of it.

With the pusher - the critical thing is to seal the sides of the fan against the AC condenser with some rubber or high temp foam, and then seal around the sides of the AC condenser so that air from the fan is forced to pass through the condenser and the radiator core rather than go around the sides.

If you look at the modern pusher fans that have a shroud, they have slots cut into the shroud with louvres that open at speed to increase cooling on the move. They also have rubber seals that encases the AC Condenser and seals the gap to the radiator. For example here's an e39 one:

Good luck!
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by thedivision View Post
        Awesome writeup. Do you have any pics of the brake linkage to valve cover clearance?
        I do not, the more worrysome part is rear of the engine to the heater hoses back there. There isn't much clearance between the brake pivot system and those hoses. Also the fuel hoses are tucked in there as well. If I were to do it again, I would mount solid fuel line up and along the firewall to both the input and output of the fuel rail, with only a short rubber connection between the two. I do plan on making this change if the engine comes back out sometime down the road.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        I think that having the shroud setup in the front like that might not be as efficient as in the back. Does it work as well? The idea is that with the shroud it pulls from all areas of the radiator vs the localized area of the fan, but I'm not sure if a pusher fan orientation will work the same way, will it?
        There isn't room up front to run the fan so this way has to work. I can tell you the fan isn't seated directly against the a/c condensor, and you can feel airflow across the whole radiator from the back side. So in my opinion, it doesn't push air through just the localized area..

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
        Don't want to come across overly critical as I think your build is awesome, and congrats on graduating college! But I think that the current shroud setup isn't going to work as intended unless you put some seals on the sides of it.

With the pusher - the critical thing is to seal the sides of the fan against the AC condenser with some rubber or high temp foam, and then seal around the sides of the AC condenser so that air from the fan is forced to pass through the condenser and the radiator core rather than go around the sides.

If you look at the modern pusher fans that have a shroud, they have slots cut into the shroud with louvres that open at speed to increase cooling on the move. They also have rubber seals that encases the AC Condenser and seals the gap to the radiator. For example here's an e39 one:

Good luck!
        I appreciate the criticism! I can tell you that going from a straight blade fan with no shroud, to the current set up of shroud and higher CFM curved blade fan, there is a noticeable difference in performance.

I can feel much more air running through the radiator, the fan turns on fewer times and for a shorter duration. I do understand that air takes the path of least resistance and I can tell that air is spreading across the face of the rad and a/c condensor. It also rapidly escapes (with the hood open) out of the gap between the radiator and core support where the late model radiator bracket mounts. (I plan to build a cover that will act as a seal/plug of the hole and also better mount the radiator to the core support.

I did consider adding louvers to the shroud for better cooling, but it didn't seem worth the effort. Do note: I never had problems with the previous no-shroud design. So anything above the previous design is an improvement.

I can also note, if I didn't have an a/c condensor up front, I would have designed the shroud to effectively seal across the outer edge of the radiator. Space is fairly limited up front, so I worked with what I had.

:)

Comment

Working...
        X