FwdMomentum's Delphin E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FwdMomentum's Delphin E30 Build

Well... This will be the first post I have ever made on an internet forum so I hope I make it worth your time. So let us begin.

January this year I had a Fullrace manifold and Garrett turbo sitting on my bedroom floor waiting to go on my daily driven civic (I know I know). I always knew it was going to be a potential reliability issue but i just had my stubborn mind set on doing it.

Well, maturity set in and I realized that I can't comprise the reliability of my daily driver. So, I went in search of a project car that wouldn't limit my desire to do what i want and not worry about getting to work each day.

I hit up craigslist and came across a 1987 Delphin 325i for sale in Richmond, Va. Long story short I talked it out with the owner (Chill dude) and drove up to get it. Now I have never owned a BMW but I have owned several Volvo 242 turbos so I was excited to get back// into a RWD European car.

Here it is at the DMV the day I got it.

The car had TR Motorsport wheels, bilstein shocks, bav auto springs, scorpion exhaust, and just recently had the head rebuilt. Tire size was 225/50/15.

Things that need attention;
    -shift linkage was shot
    -a few lights were on on the check panel
    -the body looked good but paint was shot
    -odometer stopped working.
    -trunk gasket leaked
    -cruise control stalk was broken off
    -power antenna didn't go up or down

and a few more things I cant think of right now.

Since January I have done a lot to the car. Everything on that list is fixed minus the paint (body work is so expensive).

The car had a rather large steering wheel that was torn and a knock off wooden shift knob. Got rid of both and installed a MOMO Monte Carlo wheel attached to a NRG short hub and MOMO shift knob.

One night on craigslist I came a cross a set on Corbeau GTS II seats in black leather...the price was $280. I kid you not. I drove 5 hours one way to snatch them up. Best deal in craigslist history. Comfort seats before.

Comfort seats next to GTS II For reference.

The seats came with E36 brackets attached so I ordered some E30 ones from Corbeau. I got a double lock slider for the drivers side.

The seats bolted up great to the brackets but then I ran into this;

This is where the seat belt bracket bolts to the rail. It had what appeared to be shotty machining which kept the bolt from going in. I chased it with a tap and called it a day.

Seats in!!!

They are extremely comfortable but only time will tell how long they last. The car is parked inside so I am not to worried about UV damage.

Got my self an intake and an ES front spoiler on craigslist (I am addicted to craigslist)

And some more pictures to show it off right now. Current tire size is 225/45/15 on 15x8 TR Motorsports. The student driver magnet was a joke I played when I was teaching my GF to drive a stick shift...I liked it so much I left it as a joke.

I hope I haven't bored yall. I plan on doing more i just need to decide what I want for the car. Stay tuned.

Nice, looking forward to see what else goes on!
    sigpic1990 325IS,
    2.7L bottom end, Shrick 272 Cam, and a heck of a lot of bald tires.

Comment

Alabama plates =)

Looks to be a fun pending project!
      www.ChaseBays.com
      Chase Bays Instagram
      Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

What a deal on those seats! Car looks great.
        Instagram
        sigpic
        Current: 99 M3
        Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Update II

So, not a whole lot has happened to the car but parts are slowly making their way in.

Just got these bad boys from Ireland Engineering. I kept looking at Ebay manifolds and while the price point was tempting, I just couldn't risk the headache of improper fitment.

I didn't get them ceramic coated because I have access to all the equipment I need to get it done. They came well packaged and padded. All the scratches are from me moving them around my garage. And... If you couldn't tell already I plan on staying N/A. I also ordered an Innovative LC-2 set up but it didn't arrive in time for this post. :(

I got sick of looking at my decrepit looking emblems so I ordered a new pair. In the mean time I had some fun with the old ones.
          Before.

I took them off the car and used Aircraft Remover (paint stripper). They came out like this.

Then I started sanding away...

I used White Diamond polish to bring the shine out...

Kind of too "Bling" for my taste but they are fun for awhile until I get the new ones.

Then I got a little carried away and took the wiper arms off and cowl covers.

The amount of dirt and tree crud build up was fairly minimal. Just wiped it up and used a clay bar some polish and hit it up with a coat of wax.

Faded covers.

Not any more.

Installed

WARNING: NOT CAR RELATED!!!
          Spent a beautiful day out on the river last Saturday fishing a BASS tournament. Thought I would share.

I should have more to post so stay tuned.

Comment

Any updates on this project?

How are you liking the Corbeaus? I'm looking at getting the same ones for my car.

BTW I noticed you're in Alabama. Where abouts? I'm in Huntsville

Comment

Working...
            X