the Black Spot... a euro bumper '87 325is with track mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonea View Post
    Spotted a picture of your car on the VB C&C Facebook page.

nice doggo, friendo.

1991 325i
    flickr
    @sambhaskins

Comment

Not mine unfortunately.... I was out of town for this event.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Yea I'm not sure whose dog that was, but I kept my pup at home. He only gets to ride in the e30 if it's an ABSOLUTE emergency. My back windows have puppy nose smudges all over them.

In an update - I ordered some Garagistic Strut braces a while ago and i think they JUST shipped on 15MAR, soooo no strut braces in time for AutoX this weekend. :(

I also ordered some 5mm 4x100 e30 specific spacers and i got used 5x120/5x112 spacers instead. WHOMP WHOMP. So i had to rush order a seconds pair and return that set. Pretty upset with that purchase.

And lastly, I got problems. Come to find out my passenger side strut housing was not assembled correctly. I'm getting the infamous suspension thud. After reading and reading and reading, I finally came across this very informative thread describing the symptoms AND resolutions. So the nut that holds the shock in place was completely loose. I hope the washer is still inside. AutoX on Sunday..... ERR!

And I might buy this bag of dicks manual 91 318ic for cheap with a running M42. I already have a buyer lined up for the M42, I can sell the manual swap parts, take the gas tank & rear bumper, and sell some interior bits and chrome trim.

Look at that SWEET spoiler!

Anyone want a black 91 318ic body for free? Located Norfolk, VA!!
        Last edited by paynemw; 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM.
        Paynemw
        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I'll take the bumpers for free. ;) I'd even go so far as to pay for shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            I'll take the bumpers for free. ;) I'd even go so far as to pay for shipping.
            I'm taking the rear bumper - no front bumper....
            Paynemw

Comment

End of Weekend Update:

Another 757 BMW Owner and I pulled the M42 from the parts e30 - so made some money back. I sold some convertible top bits and some door panels and made more money back - so now I'm into the car for only $55 bucks. Got all of that done Saturday morning and then did a quick prep on the 325is for Sunday's AutoX. I'll pull the rear bumper and associated bits...Anything else I need for a rear plastic bumper retrofit? I also might grab the boot lid make a SUPER light trunk lid with clear spoiler. I need to drop the gas tank too. Depending on how I get rid of the car will dictate whether or not I drop the front subframe.

As far as AutoX - car ran ok today. I def need to dial in the rear suspension to make it a little more stiff - I was really throwing it around and the rear end got squirrelly. The front struts are still not sounding great - so I need to take the struts apart and rebuild them correctly or something. I need better brake pads for sure & I need to roll the shit out of my fenders... totes rubs with tools and shit enroute. Whomp Whomp :(

I got this awesome response from the SpecE30 Facebook Group - Richard Bratton: There is only two nuts in the strut assembly; the collar that holds the strut inside the strut tube and the 17mm nut that holds the hat above the spring. Your problem is most likely with the collar. They come loose occasionally and should be checked a few times each season. The symptom is the thud you described as the strut can move up and down inside the strut tube when the collar is loose. To fix, jack the car up so that the strut in question is fully extended, reach underneath/through the spring to lift the dust shield and feel the collar. If it's loose, get a giant pair of channel locks and tighten. Before you lower the car, make sure the spring is lined up with the top and bottom hats.

So I'm pretty sure something is going on or there's a missing washer inside the strut assembly. Super annoying.

Anyways, I was the only e30 running AutoX. Some dudes snagged a cool picture when it was snowing/raining.

Yea don't hate - #bcracecar I did a quick tint removal job and of course there were 3 layers of tint and the bottom layer didn't come off well. In Search for clean rear window with intact defroster mid atlantic area!
              Last edited by paynemw; 03-21-2017, 05:21 AM.
              Paynemw

Comment

A little more of an update:

I pulled a ton of small parts from the parts car, and I do have the Getrag 240/5 for sale from this car and my Getrag 265/5 for sale from my e28 535is.

As far as the e30. My strut's spring retainer nut or whatever you wanna call it keeps backing out on the passenger side. It may not have been tight enough but I really wrenched it down there with a larger spanner wrench. I do need to figure out how to get the suspension dialed. BUT I did add something today...

well two things...

I'm hoping these two things will really help with the grip and control of the car.

Next up, exhaust maybe or brakes, build a trunk boot with clear plexi wing, cluster, z3 rack and new radiator?

Don't forget - the exhaust is the original 1987 exhaust - literally rusting out from under the car...
                Last edited by paynemw; 03-23-2017, 05:14 PM.
                Paynemw

Comment

Small Updates:

I purchased a 1987 325e motometer cluster from Insufficient Funds Automotive, swapped the odometer/speedometer, tachometer, etc over to the "new to me" circuit board. Boom everything works again!

Anyone need late model motometer guages and cluster housing?

Also got my rear fenders rolled.

And then hit Cars and Coffee Virginia Beach - got some love:

Paynemw

Comment

Situation: When I put in my replacement cluster (of which had all of the bulbs), I got my ABS sensor light. I replaced every single ABS sensor with appropriate sensors from that e30 parts car I grabbed a month back. Went to go turn the car on - ABS sensor still shining bright! :(

Question: Is there something else I should check to get the ABS system to function properly? I've heard about the relay... anything else?

PS: I don't want to hear, "why would you want ABS?" I've got a ton of free/cheap parts - so why not try to fix it before I drop money on properly removing the ABS completely... Educate me, don't make me dumb with your sassy dumbf*ck remarks like "why do you even care about it?" and shit like that.
                    Paynemw

Comment

So I went out to breakfast with the wife and we happened to get a shitty view...

And I found some pictures of my interior - but the seats and door cards are going bye bye... #bcracecar

Does anyone know of a company that sells aluminum door cards with large print? I know of one dude on here but apparently he doesn't make them anymore.
                      Paynemw

Comment

Update: I got my seats swapped and got a momo steering wheel set up. I'm waiting on the MKAH coupe door cards to arrive. And got a track day this Saturday and autoX on sunday!
                        Last edited by paynemw; 04-25-2017, 06:26 PM.
                        Paynemw

Comment

If he isn't willing to give the door cards back then thats his problem. If he wants a refund then he needs to give the product back.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            If he isn't willing to give the door cards back then thats his problem. If he wants a refund then he needs to give the product back.
                            I ended up fixing the issue by just soaking up cost, bullshit but whatever.
                            Paynemw

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                              Situation: When I put in my replacement cluster (of which had all of the bulbs), I got my ABS sensor light. I replaced every single ABS sensor with appropriate sensors from that e30 parts car I grabbed a month back. Went to go turn the car on - ABS sensor still shining bright! :(

Question: Is there something else I should check to get the ABS system to function properly? I've heard about the relay... anything else?

PS: I don't want to hear, "why would you want ABS?" I've got a ton of free/cheap parts - so why not try to fix it before I drop money on properly removing the ABS completely... Educate me, don't make me dumb with your sassy dumbf*ck remarks like "why do you even care about it?" and shit like that.
                              Deleting abs should only cost like 30$.. all you need to do is loop a couple lines..

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Comment

Feedback from a trackday weekend + an autoX event @ NCCAR.

1. a crushed gas tank + the normal fuel starvation issues that plague the e30 REALLY sucks... so I need to fix that problem

2. I would reduce heat SIGNIFICANTLY by opening the hood between heats - so I def need to find a shitty hood to throw on and cut some vents near the rear of the hood. Check out this /ENGINEERED youtube video

3. fix the AC line that I ripped because of interference while closing the hood so many times because of ^^ ...err!

4. Rebuild my engine, because I FUCKED it up! Actually I think i broke a rocker arm. How you ask? #becauseracecar and yea I was spending a LOT of time around 6500k RPMs... whomp whomp whomp.

So paynemw, how did you break your 2.7l stroker?

Oh man, let me tell you, no shit there I was, between heats at the Tidewater Sports Car Club AutoX event at NCCAR and my wife calls me to ask if I would come home early so I could check out a house we want to buy. I was like absolutely, just one more run and I'll head home. So I was having some valve chatter, but nothing that was out of the ordinary, so I ran a normal run. I hung out around 5500 for a majority of the lap and it got progressively worse. To the fact that track workers flagged me down. I pushed it into the paddock and then had to work the track. Of course there were NO trailers in the immediate area (apparently the one UHAUL that had trailers never picked up the phone). So a Vietnam Huey Pilot was hanging out watching his daughter track a GT500 and he offered to tow my car home. So we hopped in the truck and ran out 30 miles to pick up the only dolly in the area at the time. So I got my car towed home and didn't get home and the car into the garage until 10PM Sunday. So standby to see what really happened...
                                Paynemw

Comment

Working...
                                X