Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranks but no start

ISSUE RESOLVED

Drove to work fine, parked the car, and now it won't start. It does crank though.

1992 525i 5spd 314k miles

Few weeks ago, I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel injectors due to a cold start issues. It took few cranks before it started but as I said, this was resolved few weeks back.

Started the trouble shooting:
    Fuel Pump relay checked, It clicks with power on pins 85-86.
    I have voltage on pin 30 on the fuel pump circuit/relay.
    When I jumper the fuel pump relay, I can hear the pump running. While the pump was running, I tried to start it but once again only crank and no start.

Main relay checked and clicks with power on pins 85-86.

Checked the resistance of CPS (crank position sensor) and it was 498 Ohms.

After cranking the car for about 20 seconds, I took out the spark plug to see if it was flooded. Looks dry and doesn't smell of fuel.

Checked all the fuses under the backseat and all seemed fine.

Checked the Fuselink next to the battery and it seems fine (still white strip).

Checked pin 15 on the coilpack and I had voltage when it was on ON postion

No check engine codes but only the 1444 (no fault)

From what I have been reading, it seems that the crank position sensor controls when the plugs fire and the cam position sensor controls the fuel injection. So part of me things it is the CMP but what I also read is that you would throw a code which I don't have and the car might run but rough, also not the case.

I have not tested if I have spark because I am not sure how to do that since on the inside of the coilpack there is a spring for the spark plug.

I went ahead and ordered a new crank position sensor as well as cam position sensor just in case.

I have a spare DME but have not tested it but usually they don't go bad.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Struka; 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM.
    sigpic

First thing that came to mind is crank position sensor. I would also pull it out and clean it. I've actually had the same symptoms on my last m50 car because of an oil filter housing leak that I left fucked up for too long, which caked oil on the sensor and wouldnt read correctly although tested fine from the plug end.

Comment

Crank sensor

Comment

If you have no fuel and no spark, its most likely the cps.

Double check that and the two pins for the ecu, I think its 47 and 48 iirc.
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Went ahead and ordered the CPS. Checked the Fuselink again with a continuity and its fine. Swapped DME and no change.
          Sprayed starter fluid in the intake, it started for a split second. This means I have spark.
          Doesn't the CPS control fuel?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Comment

If you have spark. Check your fuel pressure and make sure injectors are firing.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              If you have spark. Check your fuel pressure and make sure injectors are firing.
              I need to get a gauge for fuel pressure.
              How can I check if injectors are firing?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Struka View Post
                I need to get a gauge for fuel pressure.
                How can I check if injectors are firing?

Can hear them fire with a stenthascope by listening for the click. Other wise. Noid lights will let you know if the injector is getting single from the ecu

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

You can also get a screwdriver and put the metal end on the injector and you ear on the handle and listen for a clicking.
                  Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                  Q
                  :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I got the old CPS off today and waiting for me new one. I will try to put it on tomorrow at lunch in hopes that it will start. If not, then I will look into injectors. I assume they are not firing because when I put starter fluid, it started up for a second. Car has new injectors, filters, pump, and regulator installed so the pressure should be good. I plan on adding a gauge but haven't had the chance. My adjustable fuel pressure regulator had a gauge but that was leaking.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                    sigpic

Comment

Replaced the CPS. No change.

Checked injectors by listening with screwdriver and they work.

Found the issue.
                      The fuel supply hose detached from the fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

Thanks again for all of your help and I have gained lots of knowledge on this.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X