What Can I Tap into Near the Glovebox to Get Accessory Power for AirPlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Can I Tap into Near the Glovebox to Get Accessory Power for AirPlay

I've got my stock head-unit in my 318is outfitted with an aux jack, but I'd love to connect that to an Airport Express in the glovebox so that I have a hidden wireless way to play music through the stock stereo. I have very little electrical know-how, but I'm guessing that whatever I tap into would be 12V, which would then need to be stepped down to the 3.3V that the Airport Express needs with a regulator or converter? Does that all sound right?
    So if this plan sounds kosher, what can I tap into near the glovebox? And can anyone recommend a regulator?
    diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Flashlight charger receptacle.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Airport express is a wifi router, correct? How exactly are you going to use that to connect to the radio?

Comment

Any other options besides the flashlight receptacle? I actually have a flashlight plugged in there...

You can use them as a router or a wifi extension, or you can just use them for Apple's proprietary version of bluetooth called "Airplay," which I believe has a bit better sound quality than bluetooth. They have a 3.5mm jack on the back, which you can connect to a set of speakers, so that would just run into the aux input I already have connected to the radio.

Comment

Tap in on the other side of the flashlight.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            Airport express is a wifi router, correct? How exactly are you going to use that to connect to the radio?
            It has an audio output, and OP said he has an AUX input to his radio.

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
            Any other options besides the flashlight receptacle? I actually have a flashlight plugged in there...
            Why does that matter, you would be tapping into the back of the receptacle.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
              It has an audio output, and OP said he has an AUX input to his radio.

Why does that matter, you would be tapping into the back of the receptacle.

Oh right — I am an idiot. Thanks.

Comment

Post2
                Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                Flashlight charger receptacle.
                Post5
                Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                Tap in on the other side of the flashlight.

You are welcome.....

Comment

Working...
                X