Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth Saving? (Long Story. [Not really])

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth Saving? (Long Story. [Not really])

So, let me tell you a story all about how I bought a 318is Slicktop and was so excited that I didn't give it a proper inspection and just bought it on the spot.

It has GC Coilovers. It has a Brola Pro XS Exhaust. E36 Steering Rack. Great condition interior, near perfect dash, and all the gauges and odometer work.

The exterior paint has seen better days. It needs a respray. It needs body work, specifically on the rear quarter. Great.

The engine... Oh where do I begin?

The Radiator is cracked and leaks before you even start the car. Nearly every coolant pipe leaks in some form. There was about 1/4" of oil covering the entire engine, on all sides. The Oil Filter Housing leaks badly. So I decide to clean it all with some Blakleen (being really careful with what it touches).

I notice afterwards that there's "rubber" hanging from my headgasket. (Though I have full compression). What looks like new oil (but it's thick and black, and I just put fresh oil in it?).

So...

Coolant Hoses - Need Replacing. Doing all. - $250.
    Radiator - $125
    Oil Filter Housing Gasket: $20 with O-Ring
    Head Gasket: $200 + A lot of my time, and whatever it costs to get it resurfaced and checked for cracks...

Should I do all of this to save the M42?

Should I get another M42?

24v?
    1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
    2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
    1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
    1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

For a 30yr old car, if that is all that is wrong with it you are doing well. Fix the things on your list and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      For a 30yr old car, if that is all that is wrong with it you are doing well. Fix the things on your list and enjoy.
      Do you think it makes more sense to repair this M42 over swapping to a new M42, though?
      1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
      2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
      1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
      1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Changing a headgasket is not catastrophic in any way. What if you put in a different m42 and it also needs a headgasket? if you do the headgasket now you will know its done.

Comment

It's probably worth fixing, M42s are leak prone little buggers between the profile gaskets, timing case, coolant pipes. They're cheap though so if you find a spare pick it up. Timing system rebuilds are expensive enough to make the while-you're-in-there job painful.
          24V no, not unless you get an aluminum block engine.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Agree with above- you bought an E30.
            I'd recommend usual diagnostics first- compression,
            leakdown, looking at the plugs after a good hard drive, etc.

But it all comes down to:
            What do you want?

You can always buy a late E36 M42 with the improved timing case,
            rebuild that, and do a weekend swap. That's probably the best
            5toes way to keep an M42 in the car for a long time. A fresh E36 engine's
            good for 200k miles, usually.
            No matter what, you'll get to do hoses, plastic pipe, etc etc etc.

If you don't really LIKE the M42, now's the time to put something else in there.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X