Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant flow map/hoses m20

Guys,
    I have a coolant leak somewhere under the throttle body leaking down to the c191 and seeping here and there. Its not a lot but enough to annoy me.
    I cant seem to find a link to a "flow chart" showing all the hoses where the coolant runs? Bentley doesnt have anything complete.
    Do I have to pull the throttle body?
    Please and Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

One hose runs from the back of the head to the throttle body, then another from the throttle body to the t-stat area. Like so.

Leak might be from the heater plate thingy or the hoses.

Comment

I used this in conjunction with the realoem diag when I troubleshot my cooling system. Don't think the diag is specific to the M20, but it gave a general idea.

Hope it helps.

Comment

i'm trying to understand the flow of the coolant and the hoses it travels in...
        i think i'll pull the throttle body and do some inspections and cleaning under there...
        thanks for the help guys
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Replace the throttle body hoses and the throttle body heater gasket. Also pull back the boots of C191 and clean with distilled water. Spray the contacts with electronic contact cleaner.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If you get a Harbor Freight coolant system pressure tester, it can make diagnosing this problem way easier. It's helped diagnose 4 cars so far. Without pressurizing the systems, it was difficult to find the slow leaks.

Comment

I followed this write up for a coolant leak underneath the throttle body on an old E30s I had. Fixed the problem on the cheap...pics don't seem to load anymore tho
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Working...
              X