Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely weather, cheap food/drink/accomodations, why not?

Comment

So I swapped my 76C thermostat for an 80C one. At idle it holds at 1/2. On the highway its only a needle's width above the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. Any suggestions for getting higher operating temps?

I was thinking about removing my IS lip w/ splitter for winter and replacing with either an i lip or dare I say a Volvo lip. Thoughts?

Was also thinking black 15" TR Motorsport rims w/ studded snows from Tire Source. They are dirt cheap. Anyone use them before?

Also my garage door ripped my antenna off. Was thinking Z3 mod. Anyone done this?
      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
        Lovely weather, cheap food/drink/accomodations, why not?
        Lucky guy. Enjoy it!

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
          So I swapped my 76C thermostat for an 80C one. At idle it holds at 1/2. On the highway its only a needle's width above the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. Any suggestions for getting higher operating temps?

I was thinking about removing my IS lip w/ splitter for winter and replacing with either an i lip or dare I say a Volvo lip. Thoughts?

Was also thinking black 15" TR Motorsport rims w/ studded snows from Tire Source. They are dirt cheap. Anyone use them before?

Also my garage door ripped my antenna off. Was thinking Z3 mod. Anyone done this?

That's not normal that you are running so cool. It should be at a constant temp no matter what. My E30 has a 75C t-stat and it runs at a constant temp (A little below the halfway mark) all the time w/ no fluctuation.

Also, why not run stock weaves or bcaps in the winter? tires are cheaper, and skinnier, which is better for snow.

Comment

Yeah I know. I've bled the hell out of it. Tested both T stats and they are good. New fan clutch last year. I have a set of bottle caps that I might run if I can't afford the TR wheels. I just was thinking slightly lower profile tires than the 14's. I was rolling the hell out of the side walls last winter. Lowered w/ bottle caps just doesn't look right to me.
            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Again, my M20 runs just over 1/4th mark the entire time. The late model M20's got a bigger radiator that is too big for the car. It will run that temp if it's running right. That is what i've always heard too. Don't worry about it.

I run 15" tires for winter due to a good selection of tires (195/60/15). However, the 8" width might be a bit much if you go with 195's. I run D-force LTW's that I got brand new for $400 shipped. However, there are TR's for sale on CL for only $275. Maybe there is a good selection of 205's winter tires. 205 is still plenty "skinny" for winter.

Comment

Emailed the guy with the TR's. Where did you get your D-force LTW's? Bavauto?
                JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

tirerack.

Also, lowered on stock weaves looks plenty good. And why would you roll over winter tires? studded snows aren't made for auto-xing on.

Comment

Guten parts.

Comment

You can get them at alot of different places.

http://dforcewheels.com/pages/distributors.php
                      89 325i (Sold)
                      95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                      2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Those were S4Alex's wheels. Sold today. Think I'm going to go with the 7" wide black TR Wheels. It'll be a bit before I can afford them anyway. Z3 style antenna looks tight! Snagged some tweeters too, but no sound. Think I need the performance sound amp.
                        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Why not get D-force if you are getting 7" wide? TR's are gravity cast and D-force are heat pressed (semi-forged) and lighter. Unless it's a looks thing, then it's all preference.

Comment

That's a worthy point. It is more of a cost thing, but...
                            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

factory weaves.

There is a nice gray set on CL for $200. That's the cheapest so far, and I bet you can get weaves for less than that.

Comment

That's a worthy point. It is more of a cost thing, but...
                                They cost the exact same.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X