No announcement yet.

Replacing Skins on seats- Hog Rings & Pliers- Coupla questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just saying, if I bought an e30 m3 and went to redo the seats and found zip ties instead of hog rings, I would be livid.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      I'm just saying, if I bought an e30 m3 and went to redo the seats and found zip ties instead of hog rings, I would be livid.
      If I had an M3 and was thinking about pulling the seats apart, I'd either know about hog rings or I'd take it to a shop...but that's just me
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

was starting to experiment on some old seats and this some good info on the hog rings.
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

It's not that difficult, we're all DIYers right?. I'm not rich and I don't like to dump needless money into a car. I just like to know what to expect and have proper tools to save time. I have a plan now just need to find the time to do it, got a bag of oem hog rings and various pliers and got some advice on how to prep and install. I'm normally not that anal about my cars but this car is hopefully an investment car so only genuine bmw will do. But as for an e36 alcantara hurricane rear seat that I am going to recover the zip tie trick is great advise.

Comment

I reskinned some cloth iS seats and just used some offset needle nose pliers to twist the hog rings open, then closed them again afterward. Was really easy, not sure how special pliers could make it any easier, although a few spare rings would be nice if you have rusty seats, or you break any.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Zip ties.

No one sees them.

But you know they're there.

Comment

The special pliers come into play to accurately tighten the hog rings to various degrees of tightness, and to round in the sharp edges of the end of the hog rings so it doesn't poke stuff.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                I reskinned some cloth iS seats and just used some offset needle nose pliers to twist the hog rings open, then closed them again afterward. Was really easy, not sure how special pliers could make it any easier, although a few spare rings would be nice if you have rusty seats, or you break any.

Comment

Link any other job on these cars, the right tool goes a long way to making the job easier. There are many ways to get this job done but professionals use hog rings and hog ring pliers for a reason. To each his own.
                  2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I have finally gotten around to tackling this project. I bought some vintage reupholstering tools to properly position and seat the oem hog rings. This is for e30 m3 but the hog rings bmw used were real small and I ended up having to just use good wire cutters to cut them then needle nose to remove them. The foam is pretty sturdy but still be aware to not scrape, bend or cut stuff if you do this. Also, it appears that the contours of the seats are held down by hog rings on bars across the foam. That's the point where I am at now is cutting those hogrings. And before I talk about my experience removing the seat belt buckle trim piece please share if you've done that before.

Comment

Working...
                    X