Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOW PENDING--FS: very sexy 1991 E30 M52/S52 cams, OBD1, E46 M3 6MT, BBK & MORE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOW PENDING--FS: very sexy 1991 E30 M52/S52 cams, OBD1, E46 M3 6MT, BBK & MORE!

SOLD :(

I apologize for the length of this ad. I feel like selling out of Miami means very few people will be able to come see the car before more or less committing to buying it, so I’d like to offer up as much information as possible so you can feel good about buying it.

I bought this car over 5 years ago. Seems like a lifetime. When I bought this, it was our only car, and I needed it to be reliable. And it has been- never stranded us once. For a swapped, Frankenstein car it is more reliable than a number of new cars. I’d trust this to make a cross country drive. This is a special car in that it is happy to cruise to work with the A/C on and the iPod hooked up, and it is also happy (and I’m SUPER happy) to be rocking out at a HPDE on the weekend. Sadly, I was only able to go to about 6 or so of these, as work seemed to get in the way, and then came one baby. And then came another. After the first baby, I had to get a different car because of car seat hookups and a nervous wife. But I didn’t sell my car baby- I kept her for another 3 years. Frankly, we all know that the E30 is a panty-dropper, but I think it might in fact be a fertility drug, because as soon as I got this car my wife started popping out kids. So proceed with caution ;p. So why am I selling this car? Simply put, I haven’t had the time to use it in over 2 years now. I take it out on a weekend here and there, but paying insurance on 2 cars is getting silly. Plus, the truth is that this car is in great shape, but the chassis is still 23 years old now. Little annoyances crop up and before I had kids, I could spend a Saturday installing window motors or replacing a gasket or whatever. Now, it takes me three weeks just to fix a door lock because crying babies. Ugh. Someday I will get back into the scene, but for now I gotta move on.

I bought this car from another enthusiast, and he put up a GREAT ad for the car, and as luck would have it that ad is still up, so please start there so I can avoid all the extra typing. After reading that, then go on here to see where I have made changes and upgrades, and also a list of outstanding issues.

Original Ad:
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Bringing you to the present day:

Major Items:
    The first thing that happened was barely a month into my ownership- the A/C completely blew up. I guess Miami was too much for it. I replaced pretty much everything: Compressor, Drier, Belts, and obviously Freon. Since then I’ve been golden. I just charged it up last month for the first time.

Head-Unit- The car came with a garish blue neon thing. Totally killed the Amber goodness of the interior. I replaced it with a JVC Kda-815. The color is dead-nuts matched. Super nice. During the day, it can be lit backwards in white which works even in sun, and again doesn’t look garish. Also has iPod hookup, which is routed into the glovebox. Totally sweet. PLUS- it has Bluetooth. That’s right- 1991 E30 and I get calls handsfree. Honest point- don’t try to use the handsfree it with the windows down, the wind is too much.

In-tank fuel pump replaced. $$$

Camshaft sensor.

SUSPENSION- I went bananas on the suspension.
    Lemfoerder Control Arms
    Control Arm Bushings, Offset, Urethane
    Rear Subframe Bushings, Urethane
    Diff Mount, Urethane
    Urethane Rear Shock Mount
    UUC Sway Bar kit
    Vorshlag camber/caster plates stock perches
    H&R Race Spring Set
    All professionally installed and subsequently sent to good alignment guy.
    Car handles unbelievably. This chassis is BEGGING for more power now. Its already a blast, and if I had the time I’d definitely add a supercharger. Funny, 5 years ago I needed the money, and now I have the money but not the time. DAMN YOU UNIVERSE.
    I found a pic of the suspension bits before installation:

Alternator died- Replaced Battery and alternator

There was an issue with the car when I first bought it- cruising for a long time would usually set off a CEL. Revving the motor aggressively would usually cure it. But I did a dyno one day and there was a dip that made no sense. I knew something was up, but I am not bright enough to figure it out. Finally, I opened my wallet and went to Active Autowerke (which is in Miami) and asked them for help. Almost $600 later they fixed the cam timing which they said was way off. Car has run like a dream since, and that was over 4 years ago.

At homestead speedway (the road course) I had a problem with brakes getting too hot. After some trials and tribulations, I ended up installing a brake cooling duct system and also a UUC BBK. Totally overkill, and totally awesome.

I had the car up on a lift and saw oil coming from one of the rear shocks, and just to be safe replaced both with the same that was on there (billy sports).

Three years ago I put on 4 new tires (Kumho Ecsta LE Sport XL) 215/40R-17. They are virtually new, having put on only a few thousand miles.

There are a TON of smaller items that I’ve also spent on, and for your amusement and piece of mind, I’ve attached a PDF of everything that I have a receipt for. That’s right- I have a BINDER of this stuff. I also have a lot of receipts from the previous owner. The grossest part was when I totaled the parts- over $7500. You are not getting a basket case. If you were a sick bastard, you could buy this car and part it out for lots of money. But that would make you evil and wrong.

Sexy pictures from last weekend:

OUTSTANDING ISSUES:
    Don’t let this list dissuade you- I understand that being in Miami, most of you are REALLY far away. I don’t want someone to fly down here to buy the car and be surprised by anything when they get here, so I’m going to tell you everything that I know of on the car that could use help.

-Sunroof only tilts, the slilding mechanism decided to stop working. I have no diagnosis on this.
    -Right Fog Light is out. Strangely, it isn’t the bulb. I have no diagnosis on this.
    -Paint chips plainly visible on the IS spoiler. Probably would take someone without kids one afternoon to sand and respray this.
    -Paint on car looks mostly perfect, and if I was a shady jerk I could say it is perfect. But there are rock chips for sure. Also, if you open the trunk there are a couple of spots where the paint has bubbled up near the seal. The most obvious imperfection is on the front AND rear bumper- the paint bubbled away from the plastic in a few spots. I don’t know if this is from inadequate roughing up of the plastic bumpers prior to the respray, but the heat of South Florida got to it. ALL of this said, years ago I took it to meets and it was referred to as the “shiny one”. There are 2 videos at the bottom of this where I point out flaws and see for yourself.
    -Cruise Control was not installed when I bought the car, and I never added it.
    -Front turn signal lens is cracked.
    -radio antenna doesn’t go up all the way.
    -Small cut in passenger seat. Hasn’t gotten any worse over the years, and could likely be fixed easily by a man with a few hours to spare. See video.
    -Wheels look very nice, but up close there are a few imperfections (scratches, paint chips)
    -Passenger mirror glass FELL OFF 2 months ago. Of course, this happened at highway speeds A quick junkyard run will rectify this for probably $10? Motor is still totally fine, just replace the glass and you’re good to go.
    -“Shadowline Trim”- this was actually just painted black by one of the previous owners, and it hasn’t weathered great.
    -Dented Steering rack- hasn’t been an issue, but just let it be known. See video.
    -Transmission has slight leak. About 1 drop every 2 days. I just added fluid and this should be good to go for a long time, but be aware of it. I had my local shop look at it, they said no big deal as long as I check levels every so often and add oil if necessary. See video.
    -Trip computer light bulb needs replacing.
    -LSD doesn’t lock up as much as I’d expect. I bought a “rebuilt” unit which was broken upon arrival and returned. Then I bought a “good” used unit, and ended up waiting a year before trying it out (babies) only to discover that it too was fubar, so back on the original went. Learn from my mistake- either buy one from Diffs Online, or from a person you actually know. Regardless, the one on there works FINE, just doesn’t lock as much as I think it should in track situations.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That’s it. Probably being too honest for my own good, but life is too short to play games with this stuff.

So please look over the list of receipts (which believe it or not isn’t entirely complete, there’s a few that I lost). Feel free to ask any questions.

Price: $12,700. This is less than I paid, and I’ve added a ton of upgrades. I’m dinging the price based upon the paint imperfections and the fact that someday you’ll want to address the trans leak.

I also have some track-pads, and a set of TRM C1 15x8s with 225 Toyo R888s and 8mm spacers that are also going to be up for sale and can be sold with the car if buyer wants. Also have the original airbox, an extra set of kidney grills poorly painted black, black interior door pulls, fuel economy gauge correction chip, OBD1 reset tool, and more.

Willing to ship upon funds clearing, but you might want to make a vacation out of it and fly in to Miami and pick it up. I used the autotrain to get it down here when I bought it- it goes from Virginia to Orlando. You just drive the car to the train, and then you get to have a few drinks and go to bed and wake up back in Virginia and on to your final destination. Bring your wife or girlfriend, but she’ll probably end up pregnant and I can’t help you with that.

EDIT: Current chassis mileage 162,141.
    Last edited by rammstein; 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM.
    E30 M52B28

I remember this car, m3_eater !
    I also always thought it was gorgeous, still do, looks great.
    GLWS, nice ad too

Comment

Very beautiful car, as close to the ultimate 4dr as one can get within reason. GLWS!

Comment

BEAUTIFUL ride and excellent for sale add !

Comment

That is how you wrote a FS ad

Comment

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
            Bring your wife or girlfriend, but she’ll probably end up pregnant and I can’t help you with that.
            GLWS Op. Seems like a well sorted car.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Awesome FS thread and I hope you get your asking!
              1987 Delphin/Black BMW 325i & 2016 Mineral Grey/Terra BMW M235i
              BMW CCA #485408

Comment

Is it as sexy inside ??

Comment

^^ is that on Rickenbacker causeway? GLWS solid looking car bro!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

It is VERY sexy inside- good point though, I didn't even put up any recent pics of the inside. The video tour shows it though (I use the video tour to point out flaws, but you can also see the inside too).

For the other question, yes, it is the Rickenbacker Causeway in those pics- I was trying to accomplish the sexy photo-shoot thing that all the youngsters do such a good job with. I think if I knew how to frame shots better and use effects I could have made it a bit nicer, but its still a decent backdrop.

Here is the crazy part- the car is already sold. Didn't take long- a friend of mine told em long ago if I sell to let him know, and I remembered after putting up the ad and shot him an email. He's going to grab it just after the holidays. He's selling a nice RX8 if any of you are interested. I will update the ad to read sale pending, just in case a freak hurricane knocks his house over or something, and I will update again upon final sale. Thanks for all the kind words. I feel sick selling this car, but I know its the right thing for now. Someday I will get another one. Perhaps a E30 touring with an E92 V8.
                    E30 M52B28

Comment

So this is where it ended up. I loved this car years back and it's what motivated me to get an E30. Glad to see it's still around.

Comment

I could have saved him a lot of typing, picture taking and time if he had just emailed me first like I told him to do 5 years ago when he purchased this beauty.

I too am a car enthusiast, I love all cars, after a delightful ownership of a E46 330i I purchased an RX8 and while it is an amazing car my wife will not drive it. See, it is one of 555 made and a very limited production car.

The only mod I have made to this car is a heavy front sway bar and better more aggressive alignment to dial out the factory understeer. It is a surgical knife now. I cannot stress how amazing this car is in the corners. I autocrossed it recently and was blown away by it. I would keep it if it would get driven . In the 2.5 years I have owned it it has been driven 13K miles and a majority of that was from trips to the tail of the dragon and back, 3 trips at 2K miles each. So 6 K miles from road trips and the other other 7K over 2.5 years just me driving it around. I usually take it on trips to Orlando and Miami. It is rare I am driving it around town.

Here is the for sale ad is anyone is interested.

While Rammy's car is remarkable, it is not as rare and in the event something horrible happened I could replace the shell easily and swap the good parts over.

My son has an S50 swapped 318is as well. I love his car. So I felt it was a no brainer to add another E30 to the family flock. Plus my best friend has a E30 M3 and the 3 of us go on trips to the mountains together, Ram's E30 will look so much better in the mix than my RX8.

Look how dumb it looks between these two classics.
                        Last edited by Jims5543; 12-14-2014, 06:00 PM.
                        Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Jims5543 View Post
                          I could have saved him a lot of typing, picture taking and time if he had just emailed me first like I told him to do 5 years ago when he purchased this beauty.

I too am a car enthusiast, I love all cars, after a delightful ownership of a E46 330i I purchased an RX8 and while it is an amazing car my wife will not drive it. See, it is one of 555 made and a very limited production car.

The only mod I have made to this car is a heavy front sway bar and better more aggressive alignment to dial out the factory understeer. It is a surgical knife now. I cannot stress how amazing this car is in the corners. I autocrossed it recently and was blown away by it. I would keep it if it would get driven . In the 2.5 years I have owned it it has been driven 13K miles and a majority of that was from trips to the tail of the dragon and back, 3 trips at 2K miles each. So 6 K miles from road trips and the other other 7K over 2.5 years just me driving it around. I usually take it on trips to Orlando and Miami. It is rare I am driving it around town.

Here is the for sale ad is anyone is interested.

While Rammy's car is remarkable, it is not as rare and in the event something horrible happened I could replace the shell easily and swap the good parts over.

My son has an S50 swapped 318is as well. I love his car. So I felt it was a no brainer to add another E30 to the family flock. Plus my best friend has a E30 M3 and the 3 of us go on trips to the mountains together, Ram's E30 will look so much better in the mix than my RX8.

Look how dumb it looks between these two classics.

Congrats !

Comment

Congrats Jim! Looks like this car will be in good hands (again).

Did you sell your RX7? I always thought that car was badass.

Comment

Geez- the other two E30s look pretty sweet. I hope mine stacks up well.

I know I'm doing the right thing based upon the fact that I need something super new that won't need work for at least a few years till my kiddies are older. I'm already looking at options and there's some pretty cool stuff I might get. But especially in terms of style there is nothing new that comes close. E30s are panty droppers.
                              E30 M52B28

Comment

Working...
                              X