Corbeau Forza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbeau Forza

I did a quick search and didn't notice any other reviews, so I figured I'd start my own.

I got these seats probably 6-7 months ago through the flyingbrick groupbuy. They were meant to go in my track car, but i'm slow to work on it.

I did a track day at Streets of Willow in my friend's '93 325IS and decided to strip the car down and install the seats for the hell of it. I had to make some brackets to mount the seats since the e30 -vs- e36 bolt pattern is different, but that doesn't really affect the review. Anyways, cut to the chase:

1) Taking the seats out of their boxes and examining them, I decided that they were rather "economical". You could tell that a very minimal amount of material was used, the material was somewhat "cheap", and the seat design was incredibly simple. No, I wasn't expecting a whole lot more, but this just confirmed my suspicion.

2) Picking the seats up, they were definitely light. Maybe that had something to do with the economical nature of the seats? Eitherway, light is always good.

3) I then examined the brackets and decided that they were also "economical". They were of a very simple design with just enough metal to do the job.

4) I installed the seats, then did a quick drive. They felt pretty decent.

5) I took the car to work the next morning (tried to simulate daily driving), then drove it up to Willow Springs (2 hours) after work. I was very pleased with the comfort that the seat provided. I was expecting a fixed-back seat to be much more annoying on a 2-hour ride, but I was very happy with them. The only real annoyance that the seat provided is that it added a slight bit more difficulty to enter/exit the car. This should be a pretty obvious annoyance and I don't hold it against the seat. It isn't designed for daily driving.

6) The REAL test. To be completely honest, these are only a little better than something like vader seats in an e36 m3 as far as lateral-holding goes. It kept my butt pretty firmly in place, but it lacked upper-body restraint. At some points, the seat was even interfering with my shifting. I feel corbeau should move the upper-body support wings up a little higher and make them more functional. Two other people drove the car and had the same complaint. I was passenger in an e36 m3 right afterwards and it had similar upper-body support.

Pros:
    Cheap
    Light
    Functional

Cons:
    Cheap
    Could be designed a little better

Conclusion:
    At the end of the day, I got exactly what I paid for. If the car these seats were going in was a street car that sees some track time and a few autox's, then these seats would be awesome. They're cheap, light, and totally get the job done. HOWEVER, if you plan to primarily drive on the track, or do autox, you might want to look for more aggressive seats. For my particular application, if I had to do the whole thing all over again, I probably would NOT buy these seats again since my primary use will be track/autox. You can't beat the seats for the money, but I'd rather pay a little more and get a seat better suited to my application.
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Thank you for the review, I'll just add a link to the seat in question ;)

http://www.soloracer.com/corbeauforza.html and noticed there is also a Forza II seat out - http://www.soloracer.com/corbeauforza2.html not sure from a quick look how it's different or better.

I am hoping for a review on the A4 seat myself - http://www.soloracer.com/corbeaua4.html
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Forza II is wider.

I have Forzas, but they were reupholstered with more padding.
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

I had a Forza before and for the money, it was great. It was fairly comfortable for a non-reclinable and it was a great improvement over the stock seats.

My only rant about the seat was the positioning of it. I am 6' 2" and I sat so low in that seat that I could barely see over the dash. I used to use the window as an arm rest and I finally started using the actual arm rest with the Forza, because I sat THAT low.

Now I'm recieving the FX1 Pros next week and I cant wait to put them on. I'll leave my review on those in about a month or so with some pros and cons. :)
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

were you using harnesses?

i love my pole position. i've had 6 other seats in my e30, nicer, more expensive (yeah like 6 bills wasn't expensive), better restraints, etc. this one seemed to fit the best and it's rocked for 2 years.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30sd View Post
            were you using harnesses?

i love my pole position. i've had 6 other seats in my e30, nicer, more expensive (yeah like 6 bills wasn't expensive), better restraints, etc. this one seemed to fit the best and it's rocked for 2 years.
            Ah, I thought that question would come up. No, I wasn't using a harness, but I did feed the seatbelt through the holes in the seat so that I could get the most out of it. As for harnesses, I feel that their primary job is to keep you from moving forward and possibly falling out of the seat in the event of a rollover. The seat should be able to provide the majority of the lateral holding.
            Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
            '99 M3 / Track Car
            '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
            '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegle View Post
              Ah, I thought that question would come up. No, I wasn't using a harness, but I did feed the seatbelt through the holes in the seat so that I could get the most out of it. As for harnesses, I feel that their primary job is to keep you from moving forward and possibly falling out of the seat in the event of a rollover. The seat should be able to provide the majority of the lateral holding.
              the seat should be tight (not cutting of circulation), but harnesses make a HUGE difference. you really gotta have both of em, otherewise it's eh.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X