Why Medical Bills are Killing Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    How is that anecdotal??? Its a well known fact that a large % of the VAT and 100-200% fuel taxation in free shit countries was levied to pay for the "free H/C systems"

We are paying for all the R&D of New treatments, technologies, pharmaceuticals, and cures out of that 20% as well as treating 330m people, while the Danes and all the other "free H/C" countries coast along on our investment and developments with out paying the R&D costs.

Huh if we were like the rest of the Free shit countries Medicine would be stuck at about 1970s era standards if not worse.
    Talking out of your ass again I see. Try reading the article. It explains why costs are high and it's not because we are subsidizing R&D for all the other countries.
    sigpic

Comment

The U.S. pays twice as much per citizen per year than the next highest (France) and is about 37th, after Silesia, in measurable health outcomes. How is this good?
      Last edited by DaveNorCal; 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM.
      1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
        not because we are subsidizing R&D for all the other countries.

I think you totally missed his point.
        Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

no worries- when ACA kicks in, costs will go down and so will insurance premiums. as a matter of fact, just pay the penalty and ditch your expensive insurance. every thing is going to be all right- (insert emoticon for "smirk")

Comment

I find it interesting that according to a sailing buddy who owns his iwn GP practice the reason its so expensive is the insurance companies and medicare.

He was telling once that the 2 highest expenses in his practice were malpractice insurance and admin costs to process claims. 2 full time employees to do nothing but process, track and audit payment from insurance companies and medicare. The second is his malpractice premiums.

He was also telling me about Kentucky vs Indiana as a example. Apparently Indiana has malpractice claims caps and Kentucky doesn't Malpractice premiums in Indiana are 30 to 40% cheaper because of it.

The only way to lower costs is reform on the tort level unfortunately. The insurance system in itself needs to be simplified on the Doc level and the related costs need to be reeled in.

Just like my wifes last MRI on her back. my obligation using insurance 500.00, called around, got the scan done at the same place in the same machine for 400.00 cash. Someone explain that when insurance was to be billed 1500 and I was supposed to pay 500 but, I pay cash for the service leaving insurance out and get the exact same service/procedure for 400 out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNorCal View Post
              The U.S. pays twice as much per citizen per year than the next highest (France) and is about 37th, after Silesia, in measurable health outcomes. How is this good?
              yes yes yes and EXACTLY why we need MORE GOVERNMENT CONTROL of healthcare. it's worked so well so far we might as well go BALLS TO THE WALL, ALL IN, and embrace the ACA
              “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNorCal View Post
                Ever notive how many obese fucks on Lipitor we have in this country?

A healthcare system can't make up for eating chicken fried steak and bathing in gravy everyday.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I should've guessed a very informative article more than 6 sentences wouldn't have been read and then everyone would want to jump in with their uninformed simple minded opinion. Keep believing what you want, but I thought the article was pretty educational and non-partisan.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ratbastage View Post
                    I find it interesting that according to a sailing buddy who owns his iwn GP practice the reason its so expensive is the insurance companies and medicare.

He was telling once that the 2 highest expenses in his practice were malpractice insurance and admin costs to process claims. 2 full time employees to do nothing but process, track and audit payment from insurance companies and medicare. The second is his malpractice premiums.

He was also telling me about Kentucky vs Indiana as a example. Apparently Indiana has malpractice claims caps and Kentucky doesn't Malpractice premiums in Indiana are 30 to 40% cheaper because of it.

The only way to lower costs is reform on the tort level unfortunately. The insurance system in itself needs to be simplified on the Doc level and the related costs need to be reeled in.

Just like my wifes last MRI on her back. my obligation using insurance 500.00, called around, got the scan done at the same place in the same machine for 400.00 cash. Someone explain that when insurance was to be billed 1500 and I was supposed to pay 500 but, I pay cash for the service leaving insurance out and get the exact same service/procedure for 400 out the door.
                    with apologies to herbie'

but

kudos to rats fir shopping around

and i'd suggest that if the feds were the fuck OUT of healthcare and consumers had skin in the game except a $50 copay, consumers would drive costs down because it would matter that an MRI at XUZ company was $400 and $1500 at Franciscan Health Hospital.
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by vedubin01
                      I think you totally missed his point.
                      He did as per his standard Modus operandi
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        He did as per his standard Modus operandi
                        What was your point? you pulled out the same, shitty derpy argument about the US somehow paying all the R&D costs (as if all the world's medical R&D is done in the US ).

Guess what: big pharma spends more on advertising than R&D costs. Your argument sucks.

If you want to go on and on about denmark's tax structure, go start another thread on that subject. there's no reason to drag it into this thread.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Ever notive how many obese fucks on Lipitor we have in this country?

A healthcare system can't make up for eating chicken fried steak and bathing in gravy everyday.
                        Dude, you're better than this, just read the article.

Comment

Good article. Some people should read it. I did.
                          1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

And again, how is paying twice the next highest purchaser and getting outcomes that are 37th a good thing?
                            1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

About half-way through on this (BTW it is a VERY well research and well written article), and I have to ask:

How do we change it? The guys who make the rules are paid for by those who want the rules made.

The prior Congress had an all-time low approval rating, yet most kept their jobs. It's always the Senator/Representative from THAT guy's state fucking everything up, not mine.

Mainstream voters won't give a 3rd party a real chance since both sides of the media are bought and paid for by higher ups in each party and thusly paint 3rd party candidates as some kind of wacko's.

You've got the insane fear mongering on the right about morals and values and some mythical 2000 year old book. And the insane fear mongering on the left about feeding our old people dog food, etc.

To be completely honest, after the last few elections, I can barely stand to pay attention anymore. It's obvious the vast majority don't give a fuck. And I'm starting not to either.

I'm an atheist who believes humans evolved by accident.

So in reality, what the fuck does it matter if our species survives or not?
                              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Buddy - speaking of mainstream, nothing makes me more upset than having the TVs in front of the treadmills having Hannity on one and Maddow on the other. It's like WTF - both of you are doing it wrong. This isn't information but pure biased opinion. I think "who would watch this crap?" and then sadly realize that wayyyyyy too many Americans do, or listen to GB.

I need to dig into the article but found this a ways back and found it interesting and a different look at the one thread you talked about employers and insurance plans punishing smokers / overweight workers. I always thought that proactive and positive rewards in Wellness programs seemed better than negative reinforcement and opening up to potential lawsuits or BMI silliness.

Obviously can't solve the diseases we don't have cures for or a lot of our unhealthy habits, but it's a start.

Comment

Working...
                                X