Self immolation at our nations capitol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A man who set himself on fire on Washington DC's National Mall on Friday has died from his injuries, police say.

When I first read this today at lunch I was overcome with a sense of sadness.

This man saluted, then lit himself ablaze.

Not like the cowards who take out innocents.

No guns, no murders. Just the strongest statement one could possibly make.

I for one, have not been able to take my mind off of this since I originally read it. This deserves more thought than anyone seems to be giving it.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

As sad as it is, at the end no one is going to give a fuck about it.
    87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

As of yet this man has not been identified so his motives remain purely speculative. I suspect "mental health issues."
      1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

It's like we're a Middle Eastern country....religious radicals trying to impose a backwards agenda on the population, falling investment in R&D and infrastructure, corrupt politicians...and now self-immolation!
        2011 1M Alpine white/black
        1996 Civic white/black
        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I brought this up the night it happened via FB. Fact of the matter is, this same act 'started' the Arab Spring and it was lauded the world around as an act that began a revolution, but when it happened here, it was reported as 'man who set self on fire, dies.' The media isn't about to help fuel a revolution within our borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            I brought this up the night it happened via FB. Fact of the matter is, this same act 'started' the Arab Spring and it was lauded the world around as an act that began a revolution, but when it happened here, it was reported as 'man who set self on fire, dies.' The media isn't about to help fuel a revolution within our borders.
            It's not the media, slick.

It's the people who won't fuel a revolution.
            2011 1M Alpine white/black
            1996 Civic white/black
            1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

The issue is that there was no message, or it was being covered up.

We don't know the guys name, but we dont know the monks name who did it to protest the chinese either. But we know what was being protested.

"As President Kennedy said in reference to a photograph of Duc on fire, “No news picture in history has generated so much emotion around the world as that one."[3]"

A buddy of mine did a painting of that old picture: eerie as hell with the cartoony style and flower-type fire.

Comment

His family says he immolated himself due to mental illness not politics. Sorry, no martyr for the right wing cause.
                1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

If this was a protest I think it missed the mark because he didn't have a clever sign, or a bunch of posts on twitter, or a facebook invite for all his friends. This is one of the most extreme types of protests that scares the shit out of governments. Look at how the Chinese react over the self immolations recently in tibethttp://www.freetibet.org/news-media/...olations-tibet. If someone is willing to plop down and burn themselves in disgust of how the world is and it catches on, what other acts could rise from his sacrifice.

Granted a bit of a back story can easily confirm or deny this but it's probably the most theatrical type of suicide...
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                  X