The End of Social Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of Social Security

As you may know, the government takes money out of every pay check you own, to help you save a good chunk of the money it will take for you to live off of after retirement age (65). Say a person who has not really been one to focus on saving, and if you have to save with no specific goal in mind, you would rather the money come out of your check and be put somewhere automatically so you won't touch it. For people such as yourself, Social security is an excellent program to help you save for retirement age. BUT, if you really look at it, our government is spoiling us be helping us save for this future time in our life where we a) might not be able to work anymore, or b) will be tired of working and just wanna enjoy our family and grand kids without having to bust our heads over making a paycheck.
    As adults (Especially if you are Christian), we should automatically show interest, learn and develop the responsibility of saving. Most of us Americans do the opposite. We are used to learning about credit and how to spend money we don't have by financing. Building credit is important, but saving should technically be the priority of every responsible adult. With that said, what if the Government was forced to do away with the Social Security program? What if the stopped taking the money from our checks and was like "the US government cannot afford the Social Security program anymore. All working class citizens will just have to man up and learn how to save if you ever want to retire." How would the country feel and react to that? How would you feel and react to that? I mean you would be responsible for setting aside money for a life that is 38 years away (if you are 27 yrs old).
    Many folks would protest I'm sure, but the truth of the matter is that we should be able to save for our future on our own. It would be hard to transition into something we should have already been doing because we built a life being spoiled with social security. So once again, how do you think you would feel and/or react to this scenario?

Originally posted by previasc96 View Post
    As adults (Especially if you are Christian), we should automatically show interest, learn and develop the responsibility of saving.
    Religion has sweet fuckall to do with saving.

You basically forfeited any credibility you might have had by stating this.

Then you went and blew yourself out of the water by saying the government is spoiling us with social security.
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
      Religion has sweet fuckall to do with saving.

You basically forfeited any credibility you might have had by stating this.

Then you went and blew yourself out of the water by saying the government is spoiling us with social security.
      Are you F8cking kidding me!? That's what you respond to out of all that I wrote!
      Religion encompasses all areas of life. The Bible teaches principle about being wise with your earnings and not squandering what you have and earn. Do you live under a damn rock? How could you not know that?

Comment

No one else needs to post any comments to this topic...LOCK it up! I'm done with the arrogance and straight up bull in these off-topic forums. I will just stick to car stuff from now on.

Comment

You have to ignore the militant atheists that feel the need debase and attack when the feel like reliogen is being thrust upon them.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Forget social security, were gonna become slaves, get sent to fema camps lose our freedom. Its already happening little by little.
            IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              You have to ignore the militant atheists that feel the need debase and attack when the feel like reliogen is being thrust upon them.
              x2 :up:
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

BUT, without social security, what will the government dip into when it need money?
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

please tell me how christian principles have guided mega churches, priests of LA, and lest we forget, indulgences and the rape of the poor for the gain of the church.

back OT, i'm young and am never counting on SS paying me.

btw, the money you put into for SS each year is not earmarked for you down the line. it is not a savings account. your SS contribution is paying for SS beneficiaries right now.

in short, i'm young, i'm paying for some old dude's grocery bills, and i guess i'm okay with that. but i don't expect anyone to pay mine, and i'm ready for that because

a) i don't live the $30K millionaire credit-fueled lifestyle
                  b) i buy things i want with cash i saved
                  c) i rarely buy things i want
                  d) basically, live within your fucking means, and if you want more, work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                    please tell me how christian principles have guided mega churches, priests of LA, and lest we forget, indulgences and the rape of the poor for the gain of the church.

back OT, i'm young and am never counting on SS paying me.

btw, the money you put into for SS each year is not earmarked for you down the line. it is not a savings account. your SS contribution is paying for SS beneficiaries right now.

in short, i'm young, i'm paying for some old dude's grocery bills, and i guess i'm okay with that. but i don't expect anyone to pay mine, and i'm ready for that because

a) i don't live the $30K millionaire credit-fueled lifestyle
                    b) i buy things i want with cash i saved
                    c) i rarely buy things i want
                    d) basically, live within your fucking means, and if you want more, work for it.

What the churchs have and continue too do is isnt really in line with what they preach, most people can see this. That was not the point being made there, that's like saying our govt or our elected officals is representive of all those it lords over.

Next your assessment of ssi is correct, its a legalized ponzi scam, and it was in the late 70s that the feds saw all the money piling up in the ssi trust fund (bommers still working) and decided to move it from the trust fund to the general fund so they could spend it.

Why do you have such disdain for the elderly, they paid into the system their whole lives too, why should they not get what they paid for and were promised. Its not their fault that Congresses spent all the money by moving the funds to the general fund. I agree I have no illusions of getting anything from it, but I read something recently that those that are retiring now will not even get back what they paid in. Your disdain seems to be missed placed in old people rather than the govt. Its good that your being smart with your earnings and saving early, but ssi was never meant to for you to live on and be your sole means of subsistence in retirement, just a suplment to your own savings and pensions............

I am not a big fan of the ssi system either but its a system I have paid into my whole life and have no means to op out, so I be enter get something out of it eventually

Slammin, they all ready taped and spent it....................
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Well thanks for paying for my grocery bill. I'm in my 60's, and paid into SS for 40 yrs, so I am not guilty in taking the money. Good Christians should be giving their church at least 10% of their income. Does not leave a lot for your IRA.
                      sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Sleeve, I'm not an athiest by any stretch.

But this type of nonsensical religious high handedness stinks of superiority. The Chinese are the best savers on Earth and how many of them are Christian?

The post was absolute rubbish.
                        Last edited by einhander; 10-11-2013, 08:11 AM.
                        2011 1M Alpine white/black
                        1996 Civic white/black
                        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Slammin, they all ready taped and spent it....................
                          Yup.

Didn't it hit the zero mark a few years ago, and now it's in the negatives as far is what's going in, and what's being sent out?
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Why do you have such disdain for the elderly, they paid into the system their whole lives too, why should they not get what they paid for and were promised...

you are putting words in my mouth. read what i wrote.

my attitude towards SS is not informed by any 'disdain for the elderly', nor did i insinuate that i'm subsidizing someone's lavish retirement.

additionally, this

I am not a big fan of the ssi system either but its a system I have paid into my whole life and have no means to op out, so I be enter get something out of it eventually

reeks of entitlement, one of your own pet peeves. you were not paying into it for you. it was for your grandparent's generation, and now your parent. you don't deserve anything out of the SS system. you expect it, and i understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                              BUT, without social security, what will the government dip into when it need money?
                              You've got that backwards, SS is overdrawing on it's spending, not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X