E39 540i, thoughts? Reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E39 540i, thoughts? Reliability?

I have been getting the itch to add something more powerful to the stable again. This will replace either my e30 or my Land Rover for DD status. I know it won't handle anything like my 318is, but I'm leaning more towards comfort, power, and being able to haul clients in something they aren't embarrassed to be seen in. I've really had my eye on an e39 for a while, my neighbor has a gorgeous 530i. I found a couple 540i sport packages in my area and may check them out this week.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4654059574.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4654097296.html

Both are pretty high mileage, but I've seen plenty of M62s out there with a lot more miles, and these 2 are still less than the 268k on my e30. The silver one is also on a local forum, it sounds like he's kept it up mechanically other than the "wheel wobble."

The black one is listed 'by owner' but sounds like a mechanic flipping the car. Can't hurt to at least take a look at the price, it's been listed for a while so could probably talk him pretty low. People around here are scared off by mileage and manual transmissions in general.

Any thoughts? Anyone here have a 540i?

My brother had one with under 100k. It had many problems. Windows didn't work, locks stopped working, doors wouldn't open, etc. Reliable engines yes, but had some electrical problems.

Comment

Electronic problems are generally found across all BMW models. If you want something reliable and dependable go get a Lexus GS to impress your clients.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
        My brother had one with under 100k. It had many problems. Windows didn't work, locks stopped working, doors wouldn't open, etc. Reliable engines yes, but had some electrical problems.
        Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        Electronic problems are generally found across all BMW models. If you want something reliable and dependable go get a Lexus GS to impress your clients.
        Are we talking just wiring issues, boards built poorly needing solder work, etc? Or expensive modules just stopping working and needing replaced?

Oh and I've done the Lexus thing, I'll stick with BMW any day of the week.

Electrical issues don't scare me too much. I drive a 90s Land Rover and am an electrical engineer. Rovers are "scary" because of their electrical issues, but so far there hasn't been anything on that truck that couldn't be fixed with a screwdriver or a soldering iron. Lots of things can be fixed or bypassed if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by brianf408 View Post
          Are we talking just wiring issues, boards built poorly needing solder work, etc? Or expensive modules just stopping working and needing replaced?

Oh and I've done the Lexus thing, I'll stick with BMW any day of the week.

Electrical issues don't scare me too much. I drive a 90s Land Rover and am an electrical engineer. Rovers are "scary" because of their electrical issues, but so far there hasn't been anything on that truck that couldn't be fixed with a screwdriver or a soldering iron. Lots of things can be fixed or bypassed if necessary.
          Good luck to you then...they do not call BMW electronic gremlins for nothing. They have a mind of their own so troubleshooting them can be difficult, but if you can handle Rovers then you'll probably be okay with BMW.

Comment

timing chains go bad on these engines often north of 150k. that is something that is very expensive to replace.

i wouldn't worry about the electrical issues quite so much. some cars will have more trouble than others. if all the shit works on the car you decide to buy, it will probably for the most part stay working as long as you take care of the vehicle.

we have shitloads of e39's in the pick a parts here. this being said, with a little patience, parts other than consumables could be very reasonable.

if it were me, i would much prefer an e34 540i. they are much simpler to work on, the suspension is better. my utopia would be an e34 touring that someone has already converted(properly) to a 540/6. that would indeed blow my skirt up.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

stay away, some have good experience due to their background, but the rest, man problems dont end. Buy the most expensive one, or dont buy them at all.

Comment

All the M62 does is take the fluids you put into it, and Disperse them all over your garage floor/driveway very rapidly.

These engines are going to leak oil, forever. They will always leak oil. No matter how many hours you spend replacing gaskets and lines and seals, It will leak. ANd then the valley pan gasket will go, so itll leak coolant AND oil everywhere.

And then they need timing chains eventually and I believe thats a 20+ hour job.

Stay the fuk away from a cheap 540i and just buy a 530i. TRUST ME. Just get a 530i and be happy. I love E39s but wouldnt own a V8 one unless it was low mileage or WELL maintained.
                1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                  All the M62 does is take the fluids you put into it, and Disperse them all over your garage floor/driveway very rapidly.

These engines are going to leak oil, forever. They will always leak oil. No matter how many hours you spend replacing gaskets and lines and seals, It will leak. ANd then the valley pan gasket will go, so itll leak coolant AND oil everywhere.

Stay the fuk away from a cheap 540i and just buy a 530i. TRUST ME. Just get a 530i and be happy. I love E39s but wouldnt own a V8 one unless it was low mileage or WELL maintained.
                  It seems all in this thread have forgot BMW made an E39 M5....

Comment

I've got one, a 2002 with the short gears and sport package. Absolutely awesome car, it's a hoot to drive. Interior is a very nice place to spend some time...in all honesty, it makes me wish my commute were longer.

In terms of maintenance, it's more expensive but not much more complex than an E30. Timing chain guides are a must for any car over 120k, it's a big job but once done, it will last a very long time. Valley pan and valve cover gaskets tend to leak a bit. I did them when I got the car a year ago, no problems since. Front thrust arm bushings also tend to wear out, as do the rear ball joints. Electronics are dependent on the car--mine are all at 100%. Whatever E39 you'll find probably has dead pixels in the cluster and computer, it's an easy fix.

It's about 80% DIY, 20% shop work. Make sure you find a good shop that understands them. The suspension on the E39 is very complex, and not everybody knows how to deal with it. Try to get a 2001+ if you can, they've got a few upgrades (Xenons, MID, clear signals)

Overall though, it's a great car. Lots of nifty features, and the torque of the v8 with the 6-speed is like nothing else. Steering is nice and heavy, interior is very well laid out (relaxing on longer trips). With the short gears and a couple of mods, you will feel like a million bucks.

Mine:

Comment

Suspension:
                      Front control arm bushings will be shot...guaranteed.
                      ABS light will be on...guaranteed.

Motor:
                      Will need valve cover gaskets replaced...guaranteed.
                      Will need the valley pan gaskets replaced...almost guaranteed.
                      Will have a power steering leak...guaranteed.

Interior:
                      At least 2 window regulators will need to be replaced...guaranteed.

Good cars though.

Comment

I had a beautiful 2002 black on black 540i. I got a lot of tickets.

If you want a daily driver, I don't think you could get a better car than a 2001-2003 530i. Perfect balance of enough power, great mileage, and the classic e39 look. And they're cheap as hell right now!

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post

Stay the fuk away from a cheap 540i and just buy a M5. TRUST ME. Just get a 530i and be happy. I love E39s but wouldnt own a V8 one unless it was low mileage or WELL maintained.
                          fixed ;D
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

So far nothing that sounds too terrible about them. Leaks bug me, but then again the Rover in my driveway definitely proves "if there ain't oil under it, there ain't oil in it." I could replace seals every weekend on that vehicle and it would still leak. I do all of my own work unless there is something very specialized that I don't have the tools or ability for. The only thing my vehicles are usually in a shop for is to mount and balance tires, and get alignments.

I'm going to keep searching for a lower mileage example in good condition. I'm going to look at the black one with 220k on it this afternoon just to get a feel for what I can get at that price and mileage, but likely won't even consider purchasing unless it is exceptional for the price.

If I could find a 530i in a manual in my area, I would definitely consider it as well for a DD. The only options I have found are either VERY overpriced, or in an automatic.

An e34 M-sport 540i also popped up on Craigslist, but they want $13,500 for it. No thanks... not for a DD at least.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4661137431.html

Or if I really want a BMW with a v8, I could always buy this from my neighbor...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4660556243.html

Comment

That v8 e36 seems awfully cheap to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X