M20 Misfiring at High RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Misfiring at High RPM

So i've driven this car for about 10k miles, and for those miles the car drove fine, it sees redline multiple times a week. Engine seemed good, a little louder than the typical m20 but still solid. It is burning through a lot of oil, and can definitely smell gas when accelerating over 3-4k.

Previuosly i could hit redline in all 5 gears no problem. Today i can hit redline in first and second gears, but 3rd starts misfiring at around 4k, 4th starts misfiring at around 3200, and 5th roughly 3k. I have a 4.10 LSD so highway driving is rough when it misfires at like 60mph.

When misfiring, the cars loses power. Any thoughts?

CPS, Cap and Rotor, Coil or vacuum leaks would be what I would look for first.
    What motor? What mods? When were your fuel injectors cleaned last? Bad O-rings at the fuel injectors?

Comment

Burning through lots of oil. I'd say you've got excessive blow by and the plugs are fouling. Could be a number of other issues but I guess I'm a pessimist.
      Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-28-2015, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I just replaced my fuel pump as that seemed to be part of the problem.. My car cranks for several seconds before starting up, and we assumed that the pump wasn't pushing enough fuel through.

The engine has no mods, its bone stock. Injectors i dont believe have ever been cleaned. Should i just order a new set of 19lb injectors plus a chip? As sort of an upgrade while replacing an old component. The injectors tick pretty loud, definitely can hear them.

Plugs and plug wires were replaced recently.

Any common vacuum leaks i could start with?

Comment

Working...
        X