Worn camshaft questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn camshaft questions

So I have searched but can't rally find what I'm looking for. Two days ago I replaced my valve cover gasket due to some seeping. When I inspected my camshaft I noticed it's worn, and I mean very worn. It idles like shit, the rpms do not fluctuate, it just idles like shit. My question is, what are the effects or symptoms of a worn camshaft? And if I replace the camshaft what else should I replace at the same time.

At the point where the cam's worn, it's time to do the whole head- valves, guides, rockers,
    etc.

The other thing to make sure is that oil's getting up there and through the spray bar.
    Not changing the oil will eventually kill the cam, but so will a plugged head oiling system.
    With good clean oil, the cam usually outlasts the valve guides...

I think you've pegged the symptoms- you'll also be hurting for power...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

And .... if you get get close up shots of the wear I should be able to help you identify the cause (and how to avoid/prolong-the-life of your new bits).

Toby's pretty much covered what you need along with shafts (or at least get them inspected; starting to see more of them needing replacement).
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Sweet thanks guys, I'll get a picture in the morning and see what u guys say. It has had regular oil changes, and actually just had one done. But once I get the pics up we can go from there l, again thank you.

Comment

I pulled a head off an M20 with very worn cam lobes, and the rockers were shit, valve guides were worn to shit, and there was a ~0.025" gap under one corner of the head when laid on a precision granite. Somehow this had fewer miles than my car, but looked 100x older. Not worth using in the end.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

here is what the internals of the head looks like, I know the pics suck and im sorry. the car is an 89 325I with over 200k, I was told bmw put a new motor into the car a few years ago, but cannot confirm mileage or anything.

I know the step in the camshaft isn't very visible, but if you see it in person its obvious its there. I guess my main question is if the cam is worn would it be acting like its out of time at all. obviously the valves would not be opening or closing at the proper moment, would that show in a jacked up idle? the rpms when idling do not move/bounce or anything like that. it just feels like its always about to die, and its rough, and I mean like old school 80's chevy that wasn't maintained rough.

any kind of advice would be appreciated I only have a motorcycle right now cause the e30 isn't running right, and winter is coming.

Comment

oh one more thing, the camshaft has a K painted on it, does that mean anything?

Comment

I'm a little surprised a head that clean- looking has a worn cam-

that happened to me right after the ZDDP was taken out of most oils...

Give that there's not a huge trough in the cam lobes, I think your running problems
                are probably NOT the cam, and you should do the usual things in looking at ignition,
                (pull the wires one at a time) check the injection wiring, injectors, etc...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ok, so I have to change the timjng belt, the water pump, battery, alt. I was planning on doing the fuel pump, filter, and checking the ignition system. Would you recommend changing the injectors too? Or any other specific item to look at?

Comment

That is a clean looking head, and yes the cam is worn but I've seen MUCH worse with fewer miles.

Agree with toby, looks like a general lack of ZDDP (but some close up of a lobe would be best with the cam out).

You could have your injectors cleaned, that would be a nice touch as well (check the regulator while you are at it).
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Any good spot to get injectors cleaned? I'm in central ohio, I have ignition stuff layin around, and I'll get a regulator as well, I'll keep u guys posted

Comment

I used this guy:

Very happy with the results. He even sent me pictures and video of flow testing them.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Alright so I have new wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, water pump, thermostat and new housing, injectors, cam seal. Would u guys recommend anything else for maintenance items, one I need it running within the next month, reliably, and it had been neglected prior to me getting it.

Comment

There is probably a lot of other stuff that should be done. Wander through the articles in http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=364705
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                              X