Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

160 whp attainable on a basic m20 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by build i'm assuming you are freshening the bottom end in which case its easily achievable with custom tune.
    Last edited by digger; 09-17-2015, 03:20 PM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      by build i'm assuming you are freshening the bottom end in which case its easily achieveable
      a "build" here usually means stanceworks coils and ESMs. I highly doubt the head is coming off. this build seems more like "160whp attainable on a basic m20 bolt ons"
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        a "build" here usually means stanceworks coils and ESMs. I highly doubt the head is coming off. this build seems more like "160whp attainable on a basic m20 bolt ons"
        head is already fresh; new seals, resurfaced, etc..

Comment

what does the engine baseline at now? that will tll you how much more you need
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            what does the engine baseline at now? that will tll you how much more you need
            very good point, and the answer to that is unknown. just read through your build thread and man is your setup sweet. goals x10000

Comment

Originally posted by f2740xd View Post
              Okay, then I won't worry about the fw for now, would rather spend the 220+ship from rhd on a tune, that'll prob come longer down the road unless I'm feeling spend and splurge. Don't want to spend more than 1200 all in on performance mods. Could kinda do a turbo build with the 780$ cx kit, tcd 179$ tune, $180 for a wideband, and blue top bigger injectors running 8 psi (ish), but not sure how I feel about that (would be on stock hg and bolts). Any input as to that?

... oh and a couple hundred to have a down pipe made

also don't know what the deal is with the fuel pressure regulator... is the stock one useable on low power levels?
              a light weight fw will make a big difference in 1st and possibly 2nd gear where the rate of change of engine rpm is greatest the car will acclearte noticeably faster, to not do it because it may not produce more power on the dyno seems like a strange idea. are you trying to build a dyno queen? usually you do modification to make the car accelerate faster more often than not the dyno picks this up but not always. there are also things that make more power on the dyno but dont really make the car accelerate faster

Comment

...the lighter flywheel makes it more fun to rev- match, too...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yes it does. Makes for a horrible tuning session with wind down though :(
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

nevermind, search found my answer to question edited out.
                    Last edited by f2740xd; 09-17-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It is possible to get 160rwhp on a DynoJet from a fully stock M20B25 engine. Doing so requires balancing of all moving parts, swapping rods/pistons around to get the most uniform deck height, precision rebore and precise matching of piston diameters to the bores, a three angle valve grind, matching of valve springs, and a new or blueprinted cam. You also need a fresh ignition system and professionally cleaned and rebuilt injectors.

We decked the head to the max to slightly raise CR and modified the cam sprocket to bring the cam timing back into spec. A minor tweak of the CPS mount was used to slightly advance the spark timing.

That engine in my Spec E30 pulled 161rwhp on a DynoJet on a 100F day. The numbers would have been slightly higher on a cooler day.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Great info Jim.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X