X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20b27 engine Replacement problems *sigh*

Howdy all,

My car has a curse.

I have a 88 325 Zinno 4 door, bought it with a non running m20b27.
    At first I tried to swap in a M20b27 from a 84 that had the rectangle c101 plug, we snipped the rectangle plug, spliced in a round c101 (there were lots of extra wires) but we couldnt get the wiring figured and couldnt get the motor to run in the car....

Then along came a m20b25 from a '90 car, we swapped it in and it fired right up no problem. Yay. We figured our splice from the early model m20 was messed up.

Anyways all is good, car drove great, was tons of fun, then some a*hole on his phone decides that when the light turns red you can keep going. He rear ended my car, insurance claimed it as a total loss.
    /cry

Well turns out i was able to keep a clean title, no salvage inspection.
    I sold the b25 to a friend and the car went into storage for a few weeks.

Now i need a car to drive, my truck is killing me in gas, so i bought a complete 86 (maybe 87) 325es, b27/ 5 speed donor car that ran and drove, pulled it out and put it in my 4 door.
    This engine had the round plug so i figured it would plug in and fire right up.

Wrong.

Now to the point,
    we are at what i think is a no spark/no fuel situation
    here are the symptoms i have gathered:
    -No power to fuel pump, but if you jump the relay with a wire, it pumps fine (i tried several known working fuel pump relays and even tried replacing the main relay, neither fixed the problem)
    -coil is getting 12v through it but doesnt seem to be firing the plugs
    -I have tried three different m20b27 DME's all gave the same problem

-
    1. Are there any problems with putting a M20b27 from a earlier model car into my 88 later model car?

2. The CPS is on the bellhousing on the early m20's, but the b25 had it on the balancer, would there be any issue on the body side of the harness from this

3. The plugs that come off the wiring harness by the DME plug for the gauge cluster are different because they are early model plugs and are not hooked up to my late model plugs, will the car run without those plugged in?

Any help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated, i would almost buy this entire forum tickets to see bon jovi if we can figure this out (JK), but this forum has always been great and enjoy the stories i read on here thoroughly.
    You guys rule
    Thanks again
    1987 LuxorBeige 325 4 door (daily)
    1988 Zinnoberrot 325 4 door
    1984 and 1986(7)? Parts cars

Your 88 car could have been a SuperETA or one with an M20B25 engine. With the exception of the DME those engines are interchangeable. You can't easily stuff an ETA (M20B27) engine into that car. At the least you'd need the ETA transmission & timing sensors, engine wiring harness, DME, and ICU.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
    X