Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Real Estate Tax Question

Hi all,

I have Googled, to no avail. From my experience, this board has well-qualified experts from just about every field, so I thought I would send up a flag:
    • I live in Dallas and am renting out our house in Orange County.
    • I have been paying some sort of real estate tax to the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) on a monthly basis.
    • The first year that we had tenants my property management company filed for a waiver of the tax, but it was declined. The FTB didn't provide an explanation of why it was declined.
    • The PM company then indicated that inspite of the no waiver, I would get all of the money back after filing my taxes. I got back less than half of what I paid.
    • The second year of leasing the PM company again filed for a waiver, again it was declined. Again the FTB didn't say why, and this time I got zero refund on these taxes.

Can anyone shed light on this tax and / or how I go about recouping some of it as a tax refund?

Second question:
    If I sell the house, what is sales tax rate / percentage?

Again, searched, no firm answers...

Thanks in advance!
    I Timothy 2:1-2

you own a rental property in CA, you must be rich, so there for you should have to pay more in property taxes....... Sound about right????

I cant help I dont know anything about CA tax laws other than they are insanely high and numerous.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
      you own a rental property in CA, you must be rich, so there for you should have to pay more in property taxes....... Sound about right????

I cant help I dont know anything about CA tax laws other than they are insanely high and numerous.
      We are taxed twice on this house; regular property tax and this second tax on the rental income. Sacramento is definitely getting their fair share.

Sleeve, remind me, are you in North Dakota?

Comment

Montana.... We have reached capacity just in case you are wondering :devil:
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Montana.... We have reached capacity just in case you are wondering :devil:
          I don't blame you. I think people in Texas are tired of all the new transplants.

I was asking because my sister and family are moving from Costa Rica to North Dakota (brother in law got a new job there).

Being a Montanian, do you like the Longmire series?

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
            I was asking because my sister and family are moving from Costa Rica to North Dakota (brother in law got a new job there).
            thats a fucking shock to the system as far as everyday living.

Comment

I'd try a CA subforum on Biggerpockets.com for this question.

You'll get a much more reliable and quicker answer over there.

Good Luck.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                thats a shock to the system as far as everyday living.
                For sure. Sis is not happy about it, but the BiL is getting his dream job (not geographically obviously). But, everything in life appears to have a trade-off.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                I'd try a CA subforum on Biggerpockets.com for this question.

You'll get a much more reliable and quicker answer over there.

Good Luck.
                Hey thanks man, that is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                  Hi all,

I have Googled, to no avail. From my experience, this board has well-qualified experts from just about every field, so I thought I would send up a flag:
                  • I live in Dallas and am renting out our house in Orange County.
                  • I have been paying some sort of real estate tax to the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) on a monthly basis.
                  • The first year that we had tenants my property management company filed for a waiver of the tax, but it was declined. The FTB didn't provide an explanation of why it was declined.
                  • The PM company then indicated that inspite of the no waiver, I would get all of the money back after filing my taxes. I got back less than half of what I paid.
                  • The second year of leasing the PM company again filed for a waiver, again it was declined. Again the FTB didn't say why, and this time I got zero refund on these taxes.
                  Can anyone shed light on this tax and / or how I go about recouping some of it as a tax refund?

Second question:
                  If I sell the house, what is sales tax rate / percentage?

Again, searched, no firm answers...

Thanks in advance!
                  Re: this monthly bill thing to the FTB, I would consult a tax professional. Not sure I would take the Property Managements' word on what they are telling you.

As for selling the property and your tax liability, that too should be directed to a tax professional. I found this via my friend Google....

I need help.  I am selling a rental home I own in California (I currently live out of state).  I don't meet any of the requirements to waive capital gains taxes on the sale.  How does capital gains taxes work though, I've read everywhere that it's 15%, but is that just the federal govt's portion?  I...

I have sold a house before in Calif, but it was my primary residence, not a rental. Under that circumstance, the tax rate to pay is based on the county where the property is located.

Jon
                  Rides...
                  1991 325i - sold :(
                  2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                    Re: this monthly bill thing to the FTB, I would consult a tax professional. Not sure I would take the Property Managements' word on what they are telling you.

As for selling the property and your tax liability, that too should be directed to a tax professional. I found this via my friend Google....

I need help.  I am selling a rental home I own in California (I currently live out of state).  I don't meet any of the requirements to waive capital gains taxes on the sale.  How does capital gains taxes work though, I've read everywhere that it's 15%, but is that just the federal govt's portion?  I...

I have sold a house before in Calif, but it was my primary residence, not a rental. Under that circumstance, the tax rate to pay is based on the county where the property is located.

Jon
                    Apparently our friend Google likes you better.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking I need a real estate tax person. Problem is that we are in the thick of the tax season and all are swamped.

Comment

wait in CA you have to pay taxes on the proceeds of selling your house ???? DA-FUK

William Pitt-

Comment

wait in CA you have to pay taxes on the proceeds of selling your house ????
                        Yes. Not sure of the details and how it is calculated.

Comment

wait in CA you have to pay taxes on the proceeds of selling your house ???? DA-FUK
                          To my knowledge you need to pay a capital gains tax for an investment property sold in all of the states. The percentage varies depending on how long you have owned the asset (cutoff is a year IIRC).

This fact is why the 1031 exchange is so popular for investors. If you purchase another investment property, within a certain time limit, that is of equal or greater value relative to the property you are selling, you get to defer the capital gains taxes. That's a huge win, as you can theoretically defer the capital gains tax indefinitely.

This doesn't apply to your primary residence, just investment properties.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Not a sales tax per se, just the property tax owed per the county's assessment, and that may be negotiated into the sale price if the seller is in a financial hardship (sadly, that seems too common these days). Another way you may be faced with paying taxes on the sale of real estate is if you sold an investment property and didn't put it towards another investment property within a certain timeframe. The other way you may be subject to taxes at the time you sell real estate is if you made over $250,000 profit (if single) or $500,000 profit (if married).

Jon
                            Rides...
                            1991 325i - sold :(
                            2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                              Not a sales tax per se, just the property tax owed per the county's assessment, and that may be negotiated into the sale price if the seller is in a financial hardship (sadly, that seems too common these days). Another way you may be faced with paying taxes on the sale of real estate is if you sold an investment property and didn't put it towards another investment property within a certain timeframe. The other way you may be subject to taxes at the time you sell real estate is if you made over $250,000 profit (if single) or $500,000 profit (if married).

Jon
                              Jon, et al., from what I have learned, there two scenarios which favor the seller:
                              1. Owner occupied for more than two years: no capital gains tax / sales tax
                              2. Investment property in which it was the owner's primary residence for at least two of the last five years: no capital gains tax / sales tax

Any scenario outside of these two leaves one exposed to capital gains / sales tax.

Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Working...
                              X