Moving out and lease advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out and lease advice

I live in San Diego, California and well... I have a 6 month lease that ends in August but I can't stand to live here anymore. 2 of my room mates are just making it shit to live in this house. One is a friend who is a horrible room mate, and the other is this guy's cousin who's even worse of a room mate. This cousin is under a lot of meds and almost seems to have a bipolar effect on him. Since the cousins stick together it's seemingly them vs. me and my other room mate.

The main problem is this...I'm epileptic and am transitioning from an anti seizure to Lamictal for the next month or so...so this added stress is tearing my system apart. I don't start anything and in trying to keep stress levels down I don't fight back and just say the rational thing (even if it doesn't benefit me) and dip from yelling anything back at them.

I believe the land lord said that since it's a joint lease that if one person leaves the others will have to pick up the slack and that's it. I don't want to be a dick but man, I don't think they're giving me too many other options. My question is what are the possible consequences of my actions and what should be my best course of action to not entirely nuke the situation? Thanks r3v...

This can turn into who was your worst room mate and how you dealt with it thread if you want. Hell I already sort of told you mine. ;)

Read the lease you signed you likely would end up screwing them or having to pay out the remainder of your lease (only a few months either way). I would imagine the landlord has it set that he gets the whole amount no matter if it comes from you or them.

Sublease the room to someone for the next few months?
    2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

I moved to Orlando with a friend of mine, who like yours, turned into an absolute wreck of a room mate. It got to the point where he just got up and left with minimal warning. That left me with the slack of having to pay the whole rent amount. That didn't last very long and I ended up breaking the lease. It has since destroyed my credit and if I were you, I would try to get someone to fill your spot.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Tough call. No good outcome. Pick the lesser of two evils.

I kinda feel like you should take care of your health - once you're right - you can make it square with them?
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

tough it out man.. it's only two more months. i had plenty of issues in my last living situation but none of the financial burden that came from jumping ship was worth it.

in the meantime, go for walks, find a place to hang out for hours and read a book, drive.. if it gets too bad, come talk to us here.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
            tough it out man.. it's only two more months. i had plenty of issues in my last living situation but none of the financial burden that came from jumping ship was worth it.

in the meantime, go for walks, find a place to hang out for hours and read a book, drive.. if it gets too bad, come talk to us here.
            ^ Just use it as a place to sleep, not hangout at. Buy headphones, stay in your room for the most part and tough it out. One thing you can do if it's bad with food is just get a lock for your door and a mini fridge. Sounds stupid but I bet that gets rid of some common roommate problems.

What exactly are they doing to make it shit?

Also for the sublease advice... I did that with 2 months left on my lease with another friend, he was responsible but out of town. The two people we subleased to (friends) trashed the place completely and left us a week to sort it. We lost our deposit, lesson learned.

instagram: @tonerrrr
            High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

You signed a lease and made an agreement. If you leave, you still have to pay your portion.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                You signed a lease and made an agreement. If you leave, you still have to pay your portion.
                This .. Its only 2 months .. Rough it out and do the responsible thing
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Talk to a lawyer that specializes in this kind of thing.

Chances are even if you signed a lease it may not be binding unless it was notarized/signed by a third party.

Will a landlord really take you to court over 2 months rent?

He can try, but by god he will look like the hugest asshole everfor taking a epileptic who's roomates were causing him seizures and has a doctors note recommending he move out somewhere quiet and alone.

I rented for nearly 10 years and maybe 7 or 8 different landlords, and I never saw the actual legal NC lease until I rented my own house out. Turns out they were all slumlords and full of bullshit.

Not that they were bad people, but they just had no idea about the legality of leasing anything.

Technically in my state you have a shitton of rights as a renter~ so if you were here you could literally stop paying rent today and it would take them nearly 90 days to legally kick you out.

If they kick you out before that illegally guess who you get to take to court?

A friend of mine that rent lots of property says it best "You get the first and last months deposit, and anything else in between is lucky".

If you gotta go you gotta go man- especially if you have a medical concern and can get a note from a doc you are in the clear. Just make sure to lawyer up before they do. Having your doctor and laywer send a letter to the landlord usually works pretty good. If they get huffy just threaten them with a lawsuit. It isnt worth it for them.

I would talk to your landlord and offer your security deposit + 1 months rent for you to move out early. Tell them that or you walk today and they will probably take that deal (lose 1 months rent vs chance the judge on 2+ security deposit).

Get an answer for 'What are the main legal rights and obligations outlined for landlords and tenants of rental property?' and find homework help for other Real Estate questions at eNotes
                  Last edited by Q5Quint; 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys.

And to answer one of your questions, they call me a liar. That goes into everything though. This morning I politely asked if the guy who used up all the dishes, cups and utensils if he could just do some of his today since I had to wash shit just to eat some breakfast. He pretty much said waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles off since I'm a liar. I told him I didn't want it to become personal because its not and now those cousins are talking how full of shit I am. That's how its going for everything... everyday.

I've looked at the lease and it only says that the people staying there are responsible for all of the rent... even if some one leaves. I already have been avoiding the house as much as possible but it's hard for me. Since I had two HUGE seizures in January, california won't consider giving me my license back until a 6 month neurologist approved seizure free period.

The problem that I have with sticking it out is that Im paying over $600 in rent just to sleep in a house I don't want to be in. I'm being civil but I swear, at least in San Diego that most people never leave high school.

Comment

Working...
                    X