Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 318i build: M6X in progress

Simple back story on the car:

I originally purchased this car while I was living in England from an older elderly lady. The car sat for over a year and after some thieves tried to break in it was then she decided it was time to sell it. This thing is in almost prestine condition! I bought it with around 112k on it and it almost has 120k on it now. While I was in England I purchased an E34 for the M50 swap and pretty much stopped modifying the car after that. Even though the work on the car quit, the parts buying never stopped. Ive had this car for almost 3 years now and still enjoy it, even though I hardly ever drive it. Its been all over England, and across 5 different states in the US. Once I got it back to the states it wasnt my daily driver anymore, so I just get it out on the weekends for car meets.

The car:
    1986 318i base model with the only option being a sunroof car. Manual windows, manual steering, comfort seats, no sound deadening from the factoy, not heat shields of any sort (which makes for a hot ride in the summer) no pop out back windows, etc..With the M50 swap, a tool set, 1/2 tank of gas, and my work back pack (40lbs) it weighed 2450lbs. Not bad for a non stripped car, which makes it the perfect candidate for what I want.

Parts Collected:
    2 Euro front bumpers
    1 Euro rear bumper
    OEM Mtec1 front bumper
    OEM Mtec1 side skirts
    Replica Mtec1 rear apron
    Staggered Borbet Type-A's (which will be sold once I go to a 5 lug set-up)
    Euro trailer hitch
    E39 6spd
    E39 Flywheel
    M6X motor mounts

The plans with the car are simple. A nice, clean car thats fun. It wont be fast by any means compared to some cars now days, but Im not looking for a 700whp E30. Only thing I really plan on doing is swapping in the V8, converting over to 5 lug, which will give it a wider track and I'll be able to run bigger brakes.

Onto pictures:

OEM Mtec Side skirts

OEM Mtec1 front valence w/front bumper

The borbets whenever I first bought them.

Picture of the trans. I also picked up 2 Euro S50 Valve covers for garage wall art. Also, you can see the mtec1 replica rear apron in the background.

What the borbets look like now. They got powdercoated two years ago and havent been put on a car until recently.

This was when I had everything shipped from England to the US. Went and picked everyhitng up from a friends house down in Texas.
    Getting ready to load everything. Was getting ready to call my self stupid for not driving my truck to pick up all these parts.

But with a little finesse it all fit. Also had the trunk and back seat loaded down.

I then put suspension on it and installed the borbets.

About 1.5 months ago I drove to Arkansas (after working 9 hours) to go pick up a parts car which I really lucked up on. Its identical to the tee with my other E39 540i, so score! Now I have a mock up engine, good 6spd trans, and parts for my E39. I get there and this car is in a cow field just rotting away, needless to say it was a WHOLE lot worse then I initially thought, I was actually hoping to save the car. After looking at it the guy wouldnt budge on his price, and I didnt just drive 7hrs one way to not get something. Plus I knew the transmission alone was worth what the asking price. So I loaded it up and back to Kansas I went.

Once I got it unloaded I took the coil packs and spark plugs out and sprayed some lubricant down in the cylinder walls. I came back a few days later and it turned over by hand...YESSSS!!!! So I loosened it up enough to put a battery on it and see how electrically turning over the engine would turn out. So I did just that, I put a battery in it and just bumped it a few times. As I was getting out a noticed a very tiny leak coming from the oil pan, so I jacked the car up and investigated it. Seems like there was a pin hole in the upper oil pan, so I wiped it off and couldnt see anything, then I tapped it with a screw driver and away went a big chunk out of the oil pan.

Plans are to have this swap done by this time next year, so slow build to say the least. Money is fairly tight in my house with a lot of personal things going on, but hopefully I can at least buy something for the swap every month.

Parts car on left, my everyday E39 on the right. This engine will be for mock-up only, then taken back out and put on an engine stand to get cleaned up and make a coffee table out of :) I plan on running an E34 M60B40, but figured the M62 will still be handy around to mock up things.

I went and picked up my motor mounts, subframe spacers, and transmission mounts to allow me to run the 6spd. These could've been made fairly easy, but I think it was just cheaper and more time efficient to go ahead and order the mounts and know they will work, plus I like supporting smaller companies.

E30 M6X motor mounts by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

So I took the m62b44 out of my parts car this past Sunday. Whenever I bought the car the previous owner told me he hydro locked it (which didnt really bother me, I just wanted the car for the 6spd transmission. Heres some pictures of the carnage. In the first picture you can look at the crack that runs perpendicular with the block and notice that the crack goes all the way through the oilpan flange on the block, and down into the oil pan tself on the far left side.

Got the trans, flywheel, starter, a/c compressor, and exhaust manifolds off today. I was confused at first on how to get the flywheel off, but once I customized a T-60 torx bit it came off fairly easily.
    Only parts from this motor I'll be using will be the exhaust manifolds (which will need to be customized), flywheel, transmission, and Ill probably be hacking up the wiring harness to extend/customize an obd1 harness. The rest will be garage art and spare parts for my 540i.
    the T-60 torx bit I had to shave down to pass through the dual mass flywheel.

Messed with it a little today and found a rod poking out of the passenger side of the block and a nice hole in the valley pan. I really want to take the oil pan off of it, but will need to put it back on the cherry picker as there isnt a good secure place to mount the engine to the engine stand if I take the oil pan off.

HAH! I saw your borbets on the Wichita CL a few days ago. I'm from KC.

Nice car!

Comment

Wow!
      That motor is totally destructomondo!

Comment

AWESOME! In to see how your right side motor mount ends up. I'm constantly tempted to do this to my RHD touring.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
          HAH! I saw your borbets on the Wichita CL a few days ago. I'm from KC.

Nice car!

Thanks, this car is my baby. As far as I know its the only RHD Coupe in the Midwest.
          Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
          Wow!
          That motor is totally destructomondo!
          Yep, but I still plan on making a coffee table out of it :) Just gotta get the rods unbolted and remove the crank first, which is proving to be difficult considering it doesnt rotate.

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
          AWESOME! In to see how your right side motor mount ends up. I'm constantly tempted to do this to my RHD touring.

I ordered garagtistic motor mounts, so we'll see. Im more worried about the exhaust going around the steering, but it'll get done.

Comment

Well got a full donor car yesterday. I've been holding out for pretty much this exact car for about 6 months now hoping one would pop up. Its a E34 540i 6spd manual that runs. I've passed up on a few E34 540i auto's, mainly because I didn't want to mess with an automatic harness.

Quick little story on this car:
            So as I mentioned, I have passed up on many E34 540i auto's, mainly due to the wiring harness and most of them were 3hrs away. So finally after I waited it out, I pretty much gave up on V8 swapping the car and was getting ready to put all my attention on the truck until this car popped up on craigslist. I emailed him within hours of it being on clist, no response. So over the course of the next month I sent mutiple emails thinking maybe he skipped over the first one thinking it was spam. After 5 or so emails and no response I had my wife and two other friends email him thinking maybe my email was still being flagged as spam, and still no response. So I was off work one day and kept complaining to my wife on how I really needed this car for my donor car, I mentioned how I should just drive down to Harper, KS and search for it solely off the clist photos. She said it would be near impossible. So I said:

So I hopped in the Euro E30 and went for a 70 mile cruise to where the car was "suppose" to be. Drove around for a little bit and I saw something white that caught my eye. It was indeed the E34 poking out from behind an old mans run down garage.

So pretty much I was determined that this was the car, so I set out to get it at all means and managed to scoop it up for $800.

I also found it cool that it came from Brentwood, TN, which is pretty close to my home of record.

What will be used from this car:
            Motor
            Trans
            Wiring harness
            remote brake booster set-up.

IMG_4221 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

IMG_4238 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

IMG_4239 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

IMG_4240 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

IMG_4242 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

IMG_4245 by Jeremiah Swaw, on Flickr

Comment