BMW E30 "Rags to Riches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW E30 "Rags to Riches"

Hey R3V, haven't posted much on this forum but since the E30 is starting to come along and could use some insight on a couple of topics, figured I would start a project thread here too. It is a 1991 BMW 318IS with M42. When I bought the car I wasn't sure whether to do an oem+ resto, or a street/track restoration. However, after driving it back home after purchasing the car, I knew it would be my street and track toy.

I will go back to the beginning so you can get caught up///

When I first bought my E30 1 year ago

I sold my old project to fund the new one.. 2002 1.8t Jetta. Unitronic stage 2 with lots of fun upgrades. But with all the gadgets, it wasn't enough.. Some called me crazy, but I knew it was the right move.

After I got the car home, (bought it 7 hours away) I got straight to business. I started with general maintenance. Stuff like, changing oil, transmission fluid, diff fluid, coolant flush with new thermostat, brake fluid flush, spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter. I also did a compression test at the time, forget the numbers exactly, but they were solid across the board. I also bought a cheap buffer and did a detailed buff job on the car as the red was very oxidized.

So after all this was done the car was looking and running very well. However, the stock rack was leaking and very loose. Knowing that I would end up swapping an inline 6 in the car I knew the 95 m3 rack was the best option. I picked up a fresh rebuilt m3 rack and the AKG motorsport swap kit.

AKG Kit

Old VS. New M3 Rack

Before:

After:

The difference the new rack made was absolutely night and day. And its already out of the way for the swap.

Since the car was running good at this point, it was time to make some orders for some new fun parts.

I ordered a set of new coilovers from B.C Racing. I was sent the 45mm strut size rather than the 51mm so I also had to find a set of 45mm struts from an early model. I wasn't about to send back the coilovers I had waited a month to get. I didn't go with any custom rates, just chose to go right out of the box. And I am happy I did.

45mm spindles I acquired to weld to the B.C's

And I gathered a few odds and ends:

I cut the strut tubes off the spindles 50mm above the spindle and wire brushed then sandblasted the spindles before welding. Then I sent them off to be welded. And I am very happy with how they turned out!

Will Post more updates over the next couple of days, stay tuned. Cheers

Awesome! Keep them coming man I'm really looking forward to them.

Also where did you find that rebuilt rack and how do you like it? My rack leaks a lot and I'm thinking of getting an e36 rack as well.
    IG: @_j.wn

Comment

nice so far!!
      10 minutes... then we invade China.
      We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
      And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

I got down to the BC coils before I thought "I've seen this car before"

Still looking good!
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks guys. I got the rebuilt rack from a local supplier. I work at a garage and got a smokin deal on it. Although I wouldn't pay the 750.00 asking price.

Northern, I think you are right ;)

Anyways, as promised..I will continue the story///

After I received the welded coilovers I was pretty excited to get them installed and have some proper handling.

I started by cleaning up the inner fenders

The old struts:

And even after 20+ years, every single nut and bolt came off with no sweat.

Rear coils installed:

I put the car on a little diet at the same time by stripping out all the carpet/sound deadening in the trunk:

I don't have any pictures of the fronts being installed, however, my balljoints were absolutely finished and there was a lot of play in the rear control arm bushings. So I replaced the control arms and sandblasted the eyelets for the rear control arm bushings.

So now im low, but still running on the 14" bottlecaps....So I ordered these from Poland.. Keskin KT1 16x9 et15 wrapped in 215/40/16 falken 452 tires

Comment

great work!

e24 e9 e30
            IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

size of tires? why so much stretch? a 16x9 et 15 with a falken 225/45 fit no issues.
              (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
              1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Shit I run 215 front and 225 rear on 17x8s
                1987 325is, S50B30US, Kamei side skirts, Zender Spoiler.
                MT2 Wheel, 95 M3 Rack, Condor Speed Shop knob, UUC SSK w/ DSSR, Billy Sports/GE Coilovers, KAMotors CAI.

Originally posted by MclubSport
                Why you have a badge on wheel ? You do not know what car you have? But if you have a mustache, you know better where is your mouth?

Horrible with responding to PMs, I'm so sorry.

Comment

I chose this size for tires because I wasn't sure if it was going to be an issue or not to clear the fenders. Next year I will be going with less stretch and the 45 sidewall. For now, it does not cause any problems, and I like the look on the car. But I will be switching it up now that I know how much room I have to play with.

Comment

looks good man, I love the wheels
                    Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

Update:

After I put the wheels on, I was experiencing all kinds of issues. Wobble, hop, and wandering all over the road. So I put it on the alignment lift, and low and behold, this was causing my wandering issues..

Before:

After:

The rear is a little off, but hopefully with new bushings, it will come back within spec. My trailing arm bushings and subframe bushings are bad.

However there was still a lot of hopping going on in the front end. I knew my wheels were not sitting flush with the hub, but in my experience normally as long as the wheels are bolted tight they are fine. But once I centered the wheels up by eye, a lot of the hopping went away. So I looked for a set of centering rings, but could not find the 57.1 hub to 63.3 wheel inside diameter I needed...So I went to a machinist and had these made :)

They fit absolutely perfect on both the wheel and the hub. And the rear are 8mm hubcentric.

So then this is how the car is now sitting///

I am so happy with the ride quality, despite our shitty roads. And I plan on dropping it a little more for next summer.

A full respray will be happening in the future, along with semi cage along with a few other choice upgrades.

So now this brings me to some of the questions I have for you experienced R3v folks.

I am looking at ordering poly bushings from AKG Motorsport soon. I will be tracking the car, as well as driving it on the street. Should I go with the red 75D or the Black 85A poly bushings? I would like SOME compliance, but don't want to get on the track and regret my decision either.. Anyone have experience and can give me some feedback?

On another note.. Engine swaps..Ive done a TON of research. And its come down to S52B32 or the S50B30.. I would kill for an S38 or S54 but wouldn't we all. So since it will be tracked, I would like to stay NA..but I fear the s52 power will get boring after a while.. So then im thinking turbo.. But at this point its all up in the air and from what I understand, if you are planning to go turbo, the S50 is the better choice because of the thicker sidewalls for the headgasket to seal.

So what are your thoughts on engines for a fun E30?

Thanks for any input. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
                        size of tires? why so much stretch? a 16x9 et 15 with a falken 225/45 fit no issues.
                        +1

I ran the "recommended" 215/40/16 when I had my 16x9 on the vert and there was a bit too much stretch. In order to have the fender and wheel gap look right you have to be really slammed and I was riding on the bumpstops with my GC coilovers as I couldn't go any lower.

The 225/45 would have been a much better tire option as it would have cleared the fenders with just a nice roll.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Any pictures of a 16x9 225/45/16 on an e30 to get an idea?

Comment

looks awesome man. good job

Comment

Working...
                            X