No announcement yet.

Quick air compressor advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that you shouldn't buy oiless. Also agree that belt driven is better. I had a really nice Craftsman that I sold years ago and ended up replacing it with an HF equivalent. Say what you want about the Harbor freight stuff but it's held up for over a year of regular use and hasn't given me any trouble on any application I've used it for (from air gun to impact wrench). It's 120v as well. I ran it on a shared 15 amp circuit when I first got it and it was okay. It'd dim the lights when it kicked on. I ended up running a dedicated 30 amp circuit to it which was a little overkill but solved that problem

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
      this!!! lolol

Based on your pic, I would highly suggest battery powered tools. You'll thank me later for the convenience and simplicity. no having to constantly oil, run hose, and all the other stuff compressors need.

Check out the craftsman 1/2' impact or the milwaukee stuff...
      True, like I said, I was pretty much set on the cordless until I saw some air tools for $30 and said...damn.

Something like this? http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19...1&blockType=G1

With this one it's saying the torque would be around 200lbs-ft which should be fine for most everything I'm doing. Would this be fine for pretty much everything but crank bolts?

Thanks for the help, I've seriously tried researching this but there are a TON of different opinions out there. Here's a pretty good write up I've been going off of a bit: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-gearbox

instagram: @tonerrrr
      High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

That's the one I have. Wait for a sale or a coupon for 20% or more off and it should be less than 105. The loosening torque is what matters and the craftsman is more than 375lbs with an xrp battery.

The dewalt is what I was originally gonna go for as it has over 600lbs and that's a lot for the money but as a kit it'll cost a lot more. The sawzalls and batteries cost way too much but it can take the crank bolt off an m60 which is 450lbs.

Figure out what tools you need and want, then warrantee and batteries and then compare.
        Figure at least 3 batteries per kit. Most kits come with two. Craftsman charges fully in 15-20 min.

Hope that helps. I'm with the craftsman C3 line and its all I needed for my e30. When I get to wrenching on the f150 I'll get Bosch stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the man, I actually just picked up the C3 for 100 with the one nicad to see what was up. I'm sure the LiIon will be better but I have some work to do tomorrow! And yea I checked that Bosch stuff out... Holy waffling torques!

Comment

Considering you seem the type to possibly take your wrenching mobile, seriously consider the size of an air compressor, most 20 gallon units might not fit in your trunk. I have a 15 gallon craftsman oilless, max psi of 150, weak 1.5 hp, but it is 120v, I can take it to the track in my trunk, a friend's house to help build shit, etc. Air compressors have more uses than garage tools or filling up your tires. I paint with it, would not want to paint a full car, but have no issue airbrushing helmets, fairings, paint chairs, tables, etc. I would not want to take it out into a junk yard, definitely would want battery tools for that type of outing. If you are the hands on type who likes to build stuff other than just wrench on cars, compressors can utilize all sorts of guns. Oilless is noisier, but I wouldn't want the oiled maintenance or to lay it on it's side in the trunk of my car....
            ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
              Considering you seem the type to possibly take your wrenching mobile, seriously consider the size of an air compressor, most 20 gallon units might not fit in your trunk. I have a 15 gallon craftsman oilless, max psi of 150, weak 1.5 hp, but it is 120v, I can take it to the track in my trunk, a friend's house to help build shit, etc. Air compressors have more uses than garage tools or filling up your tires. I paint with it, would not want to paint a full car, but have no issue airbrushing helmets, fairings, paint chairs, tables, etc. I would not want to take it out into a junk yard, definitely would want battery tools for that type of outing. If you are the hands on type who likes to build stuff other than just wrench on cars, compressors can utilize all sorts of guns. Oilless is noisier, but I wouldn't want the oiled maintenance or to lay it on it's side in the trunk of my car....
              Yep that's what I was thinking, the versatility. I guess everyone has their preference as to what's too loud/annoying/worth it. I was thinking for $100 I could get something that would be fine for the wrenching/other shit I would be doing then I could grow from there. I mean, if you get something cheap enough on CL, you can sell it for the same/more or just take a minimal hit.

I'm actually not that mobile, usually friends come to my house to wrench believe it or not ha! Last weekend though my one buddy did his suspension at his house and had a hell of a time with it, would've been nice to come over with either a small compressor or the C3 I have now.

One day I really want to get into tracking or even just some auto x so thanks for the heads up with those compressor numbers being adequate for you. Unfortunately the local pnp has only 1 e30 :hitler: so I don't really go out there too much.

One thing no matter what is I'm done getting stuck on one stupid friggin bolt that takes hours to get off. So no matter what I ultimately end up with, my goal is to get stuff done quicker!

Any given weekend at my house:

Plasti-dip fun

Comment

^ that's awesome!
                The nicad should be fine. Do not buy the smaller lion for that impact. They will short on harder bolts. Only the larger packs will do the job. Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                X