No announcement yet.

All you riders be safe out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh I would love to ride a bike but I can't bring my self to ride one because of dangers that are out there on the road.

Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
    Jeez where was this at? A lot of bikers simply ride too fast, although it sounds like the BRZ pulled out in front of him. I had someone do the same to me going about 50, luckily I slowed enough to where I merely hopped off the bike once it impacted. My brother also wrecked in the same fashion, although his was much worse. People don't pay attention, and riders need to slow down. I speed, within my limits and what I deem safe, but I am always looking out for any red flags up ahead.
    Just something lots of people do not know and I learnt through my career on designing roads. People in general do not have good depth perception. When we design roads we try to take this into account.

The problem here is that the BRZ probably sore the bike at a reasonable distance away much like he has seen other vehicles at that intersection at the same distance, therefore proceeded to pull out. The bike was most likely going allot faster then the BRZ driver would have suspected and hence the bike hit the car.

This something we should all be very aware especially at night, people have bad depth perception and the faster you travel down a road the more likely someone is going to pull out in front of you because they thought they had enough room, and if you were travelling at the speed limited they probably would have.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
      Yeh I would love to ride a bike but I can't bring my self to ride one because of dangers that are out there on the road.

Just something lots of people do not know and I learnt through my career on designing roads. People in general do not have good depth perception. When we design roads we try to take this into account.

The problem here is that the BRZ probably sore the bike at a reasonable distance away much like he has seen other vehicles at that intersection at the same distance, therefore proceeded to pull out. The bike was most likely going allot faster then the BRZ driver would have suspected and hence the bike hit the car.

This something we should all be very aware especially at night, people have bad depth perception and the faster you travel down a road the more likely someone is going to pull out in front of you because they thought they had enough room, and if you were travelling at the speed limited they probably would have.

As a longtime rider i can tell you it is much simpler than that, most drivers do not look for motorcyclists so they do not see them. As a motorcyclist you are invisible so you better act like it !
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

^
        true that as well.
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear about that.

Was in a serious accident last labor day and T-boned a car at about 45mph. Waking up on the ground with your wrist hanging out of my arm, adrenaline pumping and vertigo is not fun. Witnesses said I went about 15-20ft. in the air before landing. Was wearing full leathers, boots, gloves, the works and that saved me lots of road rash and probably my life.

Stay safe out there.

Originally posted by BillBrasky
          E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
          1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
          1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
          1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
          2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post

Was in a serious accident last labor day and T-boned a car at about 45mph. Waking up on the ground with your wrist hanging out of my arm, adrenaline pumping and vertigo is not fun. Witnesses said I went about 15-20ft. in the air before landing. Was wearing full leathers, boots, gloves, the works and that saved me lots of road rash and probably my life.

Stay safe out there.

Ummm yeah. Not waffling worth it.

Comment

If you read the story the man was 70 years old that pulled out and rider of the motorcycle was 24. Designing roads to enhance depth perception wont help a bit in cases like this. Old fart probably has nill in terms of depth perception and visual acuity.

Problem is as males that age we all tend to think we are just as good drivers as we were as youths. Thats just not the case. Reaction time slows, depth perception is altered, vision starts to fail, memory and cognitive thinking diminish.

These are not the traits of a competent driver, but in this old mans head I am sure he thinks he is amazing behind the wheel.

Old people should be tested MORE frequently than young drivers to determine their actual abilities behind the wheel and if unsatisfactory. Pull the license . Period!

Myself included. When I am old I believe I should be held to those same standards.

The sportbiker should have been more aware and riding offensively. I always try to allow a way out of any given situation. My 20 + years of riding motorcycles have taught me that YES we ARE invisible to other drivers so always ride with that in mind.

Accept the risks and try to mitigate them if at all possible. Also realize that you may be a blood stain on the pavement at some point. With this in mind keep the rubber side down.

Comment

This thread is sobering to read through, the day after fathers day. I'm a dad of an 11 year-old with no siblings. Never been hit by a car until last year- my 26th year riding on the street- only I was super lucky, unlike so many stories above. I was at a dead stop and got rear ended by a gal window shopping-while-driving in a prius as I waited for pedestrians at a downtown crosswalk. Her front bumper collapsed around my back tire, otherwise it would have sent me sprawling and did more damage to my back. Sent parts of her grill up on top of my tire and under my seat area. Kept the bike up and it only suffered about $150 in damages. But almost a year later, doing pretty good. I do think I still feel the effects in my lower back. Not that I'm in pain, but I just don't really feel quite the same- hard to explain. More stiffness I guess. Not the good kind.

I was never going to ride because I had a friend on a dirt bike and another on street bike die before i graduated high school. But a buddy needed to get his endorsment, so needed me to ride him down to take his test. So he taught me to ride his honda 350 and after my 20 minutes lesson, rode my first time on the street, carrying a passenger. Crazy at 19 lets say. So that started it for me. Had a 1978 KZ 650 for 15 years and now a Kawasaki crotch rocket that is a love of my life, and could be the end of it that fast. But I do only ride during daylight, not in heavy traffic, and ride as cautious as legally allowed 99.9 % of the time. But there are no guarentees because someone could not see you a quarter mile from home and your are done. It's sure is an addiction that is hard to break.
                "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

Comment

A few years ago I was riding my bicycle home from the pool when I was crossing a walkway when a lady in an SUV decided to blow through a stop sign, plastering me on her hood and dragging me and my bike a fair distance. It left me pretty messed up mentally and physically, and has left me incredibly deterred from getting a motorcycle. A bunch of my friends have bikes, but the risk to me having experienced being hit is just too much for me to pull the trigger on anything with 2 wheels.
                  320I - under construction

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post

Stay safe out there.

Man that's rough, glad you made it out okay from that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                    Originally posted by scabzzzz
                    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                    2002 325i - DD
                    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

I love bikes as much as anyone, but my streetbike was sold just over a year ago, and I'm glad I did it.

The track bike is much more fun anyway, and at least if I go down on that one the odds of me being run over are far less. E30 for the street, bike for the track. It's the best arrangement I've come up with so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X