Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KB's '87 m20 Build

Ok for the introduction,

After deciding to move to Philadelphia, PA from Albuquerque, NM I sold my Jeep Wranger TJ. I figured I would not have the opportunity to enjoy it as much as I did on the back roads of back home, and I would be more inclined to use public transportation.But I quickly found out that I can't live without a car that I can have fun with.

I had always been a fan of M cars after driving a few at a dealership I was a lot boy at, and became more and more interested with the older ones. I'm not sure when exactly I decided on the e30, but I didn't search for a single other car but an e30.

After finding one of the few that met my criteria with almost no hesitation, I rode the train up to New London, CT and made the 221 mile trip in the e30 that would become known as Joan.

August 31, 2010

For $1800 it came with some great bolt ons including long tube headers (ebay), a full 2.5 in exhaust with a magnaflow muffler, and Ground Control coilovers.

First week of ownership, it blew the rear brake hard line and cracked the radiator.

Random other e30s at Home Depot

Painted the front valence all one color. Removed the AC, and PS using Garagistic delete plate.

What I was working with for an interior

I hosted a little mini meet

Changed the trans fluid to Redline. My 3rd gear was already grinding, and continued to do so, but the other gears seemed to shift smoother.

Did the subframe job. New IE Subframe bushings and Trailing Arm bushings. AKG Diff mount. Blunttech SS lines. My drivers side rear hub had a thread striped out, so I replaced it with an entirely different used trailing arm.

Wrapped the headers, replaced the exhaust manifold nuts, and did a couple hoses. New spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, and valve cover breather hose. The PO had a set of BavAuto plugs that they destroyed by not removing the spark plug cap.

Zip tied a KA Motors intake on

Had a business at the time that I needed light duty truck for so I got this little guy

Last edited by KirkerBezerker; 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM.

February 2012
    Right around this time I had an intake rocker break, and with just having bought my first business I had zero time to dedicate to it.

So, that brings us to the present. I now have a 1 car garage dedicated to my e30, and plan to really do it right now.

Crappy style gear found

It looks like it was getting close..

Who can spot the quitter?

Got the head off. Cross hatching is still visible!

I now work for a warehouse distributor that sells performance parts, and I am able to get an insane deal on actual BMW OEM parts for my build.

Genuine OEM BMW HG, and ARP Studs

Genuine OEM BMW valve cover gasket, and Gear Wheel Tooth Belt lol

Last edited by KirkerBezerker; 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Got some new tools!!

Right now the plan is to save some money by removing all the internals of the cylinder head, and then bring it to a shop for pressure testing, cleaning, and to be decked.

Got the rockers out, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the valve springs to go down far enough to get the collars off.

Last edited by KirkerBezerker; 10-02-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Got the front of the motor cleaned up

Snapped a pic of my Momo wheel. I absolutely love this thing.

Pulled the engine harness

Engine bay is starting to look less and less crowded

Comment

Good work so far! Keep it up sir.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment! It's not even an option to keep working at this point, I'm hooked!

Comment

A couple friends were nice enough to loan me a picker, and an engine stand. I'm excited to give the bay a good cleaning. I want to shave a few things, not going for the shaved look, just want things to be clean and make as much room as possible. There seems to be some surface rust building under my brake booster, so I will get the whole thing cleaned up and painted.

Blunttech front SS lines, and my new Bosch Starter. Just thought I'd throw this one in too.

Comment

Ok, so after a good bit of searching I haven't really found anything.

As you can see I have already removed my cylinder head, so I'm wondering what the best way to get the motor out is? I already have a load leveler.

I know there is a point near the starter, but I think that is supposed to be used in conjunction with the hanger on the cylinder head.

Comment

I have put a old head stud back in the block front passangers side with the chain link trapped in the stud. Then to the back loop by the starter.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ikonwun View Post
                    I have put a old head stud back in the block front passangers side with the chain link trapped in the stud. Then to the back loop by the starter.

Hope this helps.
                    That's a good idea! Thanks!

I'm going to do it this way hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

So instead of using the stud idea, I think I will just use this loop I found where the A/C compressor used to be

And then of course the loop by the starter

Waiting for the weekend to pull the motor. Don't really want to go at it alone the first time. So I decided to pull the cruise control wiring out. I have a real cluster fuck of wires from the PO, so I thought getting rid of some of the mess would be a good start.

What I started with...

Complete and uncut!

Better I guess? lol

The current plan for all this is to freshen the motor up so I can turbo it. I want to set it up so that way if funds get low, I can collect turbo parts while still enjoying my e30. I'm gonna take my time, and do it as right as I can on a budget.

Just a running list of things I plan to do

Get my head pressure checked and decked. Reassemble with new rockers. Maybe the IE HDs, or maybe OEM I haven't decided yet.

Get IE reground cam to the shrick 272

Swap out the trans. I have a late model one to replace my early, so I will need to swap the flange out.

SPEC Stage 3 Clutch. Shouldn't be too aggressive while NA, and is rated for the turbo numbers most builds fall into.

New intank fuel pump, and new exterior. Might try to swap to a Walbro, but it doesn't seem to be so simple on the early models.

Light shave and repaint of the engine bay. Not going for that look, just want it to be clean and have space to work.

Get my wiring harness cleaned up, and out of the way. I'm thinking I will run it through the drivers side fender well. Its doesn't seem too hard, and it gets a bunch of it out of the way. Also, want to do the M3 firewall cover.

Still on the fence about removing the entire HVAC unit. I've had tons of electric issues with the car (who would have thought after seeing those last pics) and I'm thinking I might want to go as lightweight as possible. IDK opinions wanted on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X