obd2 e30; no temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obd2 e30; no temp gauge

finishing up an obd2 m52 swap into an 89 325i and im stuck on the temp gauge. i already have the m20 temp sensor installed in the m52 head but there is no plug on the obd2 harness. the obd2 engine harness only uses one temp sensor which i have plugged in to the obd2 temp sensor.

i tried researching several times, there doesn't seem to be very much info on it. thanks in advance

you have to install a separate E30 temp sender and wire it up to the C101 to drive the gage. On the E36 they combined it into one sensor but the signal doesn't work on an E30 cluster.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by E36M3LX View Post
      finishing up an obd2 m52 swap into an 89 325i and im stuck on the temp gauge. i already have the m20 temp sensor installed in the m52 head but there is no plug on the obd2 harness. the obd2 engine harness only uses one temp sensor which i have plugged in to the obd2 temp sensor.

i tried researching several times, there doesn't seem to be very much info on it. thanks in advance
      I think there's a splitter available but I'm not positive. I did an OBDI swap and don't know much more about it than that it exists.
      No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

thanks for the replies. so all i need is to run one wire from the e30 temp sender to one of the pins on the c101? seems simple enough, now i just need to find which pin on the c101 is for the temp gauge.. does anyone know?
        Last edited by E36M3LX; 06-11-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

it's pin 4.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

awesome, thank you. im surprised this information isn't very easy to find, or maybe i just suck at searching. hopefully this thread will help the next guy.

Comment

See my thread in the project forum for details. Just did this.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...9&postcount=31
              Last edited by ba114; 06-12-2016, 05:02 PM.
              RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by E36M3LX View Post
                thanks for the replies. so all i need is to run one wire from the e30 temp sender to one of the pins on the c101? seems simple enough, now i just need to find which pin on the c101 is for the temp gauge.. does anyone know?
                My obd1 temp sensor connector has two wires coming from it but one terminal on the sensor side. Do I only need to connect the one terminal's wire to pin 4?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

You need a brown e30 coolant temp sensor. Also it is the wrong thread pitch so some people rethread them. Markertmotorwerks sells rethreaded sensors. You choose one wire of the 2 cluster sensor wires and connect it to pin 4 of the c101. The OBD2 connector is 4 wire. Two for cluster and two wires for dme. You only need one of the cluster wires since the brown sensor is single wire.

Comment

Working...
                  X