Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
    I went with a .82 just to make it spool fast. I want to make it as useful on the track as possible and 2-300 rpm lower boost may help. I am curious to see the comparison on our dyno graphs as I will be running a 86mm low boost S50 very similar to yours. What made you go with the 1.06?

My goals are eventually 700+ and with this set up of the turbo, should EASILY be able to get those numbers.
    - S50 Swapped E30 1/1 Mineral White -
    @vaughnbannister on IG

Comment

So I have picked the turbo and it has arrived. GT3582R .82. Pics to be posted ASAP. Also picked up a Tial WG and BOV thanks to Butters. Engine is in the car and I am getting closer everyday. Still need to find the best place to buy 3 inch V-band to match the turbo outlet fittings to tap into intake manifold to supply Vacuum to WG and BOV and tuning.
      1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
      5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

So I got the engine in.

Then I test fitted all the intercool parts and trimmed everything to make it look as factory as possible.

and then my turbo arrived

GT3582R with .82 housing, I am still up in the air about the tune but I did pickup a TIAL MVR WG and a TIAL BOV.

Then I set about fitting and clocking everything. I need to weld a 90 degree elbow onto the turbo outlet to get it kicked out from the header a bit. i will Also need to stick with a 3 inch downpipe to hit the MVR just right with about 1 inch of 1.25 exhaust tubing between them.

Now I need to finalize tuning looking at four NickG if I can get one of his off the shelf tunes that is my first choice, TRM, Technica and RKtuning.

Comment

Ordered my Techinica Tune today!
          Got my restrictor inline yesterday for the turbo Coolant lines from Railroad will be here noonday then I can finalize the intake manifold install and configure the MAF and BOV locations.
          Ordered my Muffler as well so that when the car is drivable I can drop it off at the muffler shop and have the 3 inch exhaust built.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...e.php?pID=1162

Hoping to get it fired soon.

Any recommendations of Spark Plugs?

Comment

Same muffler I'm running. Also have one of their ultraquiet resonators halfway up the car, no cat. It was loud enough that I wished I had put an actual muffler(thinking borla proXS) there instead of the resonator, but maybe the turbo will quiet it down.

Nice quality piece though, and when you're on the throttle it sounds great

Also thinking about what spark plugs... I was running NGK BKR6E while NA, but I've heard 1-2 steps colder is what I should get, so BKR7E or BKR8E, so I'll have to make a decision soon.
            Last edited by Northern; 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Seriously. I started off with "well I will just deck the block then put it back together". HAHAH. Now its

Deck Block/Clean Block repaint
              Deck Head/wash Head
              Torque Plate Hone to 86.5mm - This one was a huge learning experience for me. The engine builder explained that when the S and M blocks are TQ plated with studs some of the cylinder walls bulge a couple of thousandths out and thus impact ring sealing and longevity.
              Spin polish check Crank and check for Tolerances.

Purchase JE 9:1 Pistons 86.5mm
              Purchase K1 Rods- recommended as superior over the Eagle (his word not mine)
              Pricing was actually pretty good on the Rods and pistons.

Purchase new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate - Grip Force Stage 3 (know a few people who have had good experiences with the Grip Force Stuff)

Take whole rotating assembly back to engine shop to have it rebalanced as many many grams will be coming off of the assembly.

Then reassemble and spin to 7400rpm
              ^Good choice..

From that first pic I was going to suggest a re-hone and check the bores. It looks like the walls have seen some piston slap and its worn out the honing in those areas.

Comment

Well I cranked it for oil pressure with the fuel pump pulled. I built oil pressure and purged the turbo feed line. Then I popped the fuse back in and cranked it. If fired up immediately. Now I am working only down pipe and exhaust because it is loud. Here are some pics.

Comment

Installed and running now I just need to figure out why the oil restrictor seems to be leaking.
                  Built a custom 3 inch exhaust from down pipe to tail pipe.

Comment

Nice and tidy! I recommend a blanket on the turbine - my temps noticeably dropped as soon as I added one. Maybe fab an aluminum beauty cover for your wires too?
                    In my experience the compressor never got hot enough to bother my wires, but the turbine definitely started charring one before I caught it.

I can't recall, but do you live in CO? I'd ask TRM about real-time barometric correction and how that works in their tune if you're high altitude. I know the MAF compensates this on stock NA engines, but I wonder if fuel trims are okay for the altitude that you're at in conjunction to the MAF doing it's job metering atmospheric pressure.
                    I don't have it implemented in my map-based standalone so I have to cycle the ECU on and off for it to be corrected when I travel to the mountains from sea level where I live.
                    Just a thought.
                    Last edited by ak-; 08-15-2016, 02:48 PM.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                      Nice and tidy! I recommend a blanket on the turbine - my temps noticeably dropped as soon as I added one. Maybe fab an aluminum beauty cover for your wires too?
                      In my experience the compressor never got hot enough to bother my wires, but the turbine definitely started charring one before I caught it.

I can't recall, but do you live in CO? I'd ask TRM about real-time barometric correction and how that works in their tune if you're high altitude. I know the MAF compensates this on stock NA engines, but I wonder if fuel trims are okay for the altitude that you're at in conjunction to the MAF doing it's job metering atmospheric pressure.
                      I don't have it implemented in my map-based standalone so I have to cycle the ECU on and off for it to be corrected when I travel to the mountains from sea level where I live.
                      Just a thought.

I want to do a blanket for sure any recommendations?

I am in Reno NV 4500ft up. Not sure about the adaption. I will be logging and tuning with Technica so we shall see what the base tune handles.

Comment

Oh right, remote tuning.

I want to do a blanket for sure any recommendations?

I am in Reno NV 4500ft up. Not sure about the adaption. I will be logging and tuning with Technica so we shall see what the base tune handles.
                        I'm using this with success. Coolant temp lowered an average of ~5F* at idle and freeway runs @ +85F* temperature. I don't have a thermo gun, but I am able to touch the blanket and hood without burning myself and my wires are happy.
                        Fits my .63 T3 easy, and comes with spring hooks so you cross-attach the ends under the CHRA.

There are prettier options, but for the cost and function I'm happy.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Can not wait to get this engine broken in.

Comment

Looks good! We're on the same team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
                              Looks good! We're on the same team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Nice. Which tune did you go with? I am starting a new thread to try and figure out a rev issue I am having.

Comment

Nice. Which tune did you go with? I am starting a new thread to try and figure out a rev issue I am having.

RK tunes, sounds like a vacuum/boost leak

Comment

Working...
                                X