No announcement yet.

DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: Do not use e36 Mishimoto radiators. They are crap. I went through two over a 4 year period, both ended up leaking in the same way. They leak at the rows on both sides due to poor engineering. I went with the Z3M radiator which is a much better alternative.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
    1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
    1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
    1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Can this please become a sticky.
      E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
        Can this please become a sticky.
        [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] our time will come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
        1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

I have been using this thread for my current s52 swap. Good shit.

I did have some minor adjustments and learning curves though.

Guess I'll share a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          E30 325ic - Project
          F30 328i - Daily
          E38 740i Sport - SOLD
          E92 335xi - SOLD
          E60 525xi - SOLD
          E46 330ci - SOLD
          E30 325ic - SOLD
          E30 318is - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ob_318is View Post
            I have been using this thread for my current s52 swap. Good shit.

I did have some minor adjustments and learning curves though.

Guess I'll share a pic.

Let's hear them!

/// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by 968Reckless View Post
              Let's hear them!
              The main hick up was the 3 hole vs 2 hole difference in the s52 cylinder head where the coolant temp sensor is installed.

I had two holes in the cylinder head, removed the connector for the throttle body coolant hose, replaced it with the e30 brown top coolant temp sensor. This lead to having to delete the throttle body coolant heating function.

Which is okay, but not my initial goal.

E30 325ic - Project
              F30 328i - Daily
              E38 740i Sport - SOLD
              E92 335xi - SOLD
              E60 525xi - SOLD
              E46 330ci - SOLD
              E30 325ic - SOLD
              E30 318is - SOLD

Comment

I also used the e30 ix brake booster, and didn't want to notch the hole. I did that by cutting removing the body of the spacer and keeping the stud plate and welding it to the booster. If I can remember plate to plate, not directly to the booster.

This allowed for a stock position mounting and allows the brake reservoir to clear the intake boot.

E30 325ic - Project
                F30 328i - Daily
                E38 740i Sport - SOLD
                E92 335xi - SOLD
                E60 525xi - SOLD
                E46 330ci - SOLD
                E30 325ic - SOLD
                E30 318is - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by craiggroves91 View Post
                  I'll be expecting a beer :)

For the hose I can't tell you for sure as it was a while ago that I hacked it up, but that seems to be it. I remember using the leftovers in several places.

I use the 82 degree switch by FAE #36050

M52 OBD2 had its first test drive yesterday. Please PM me your PayPal so I can send you beer money.
                  E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

UPDATE: Do not use e36 Mishimoto radiators. They are crap. I went through two over a 4 year period, both ended up leaking in the same way. They leak at the rows on both sides due to poor engineering. I went with the Z3M radiator which is a much better alternative.
                    Hey Craig, do you know which of the Z3M radiators you used? Was it the S52 one (17111433025) or the ones from the S54 (17112227281)? Did you just get the OEM one? Lastly, not sure if you'd know, I know you have a late model, any idea if these things will fit in an early model? I'd be throwing it into my 87 vert.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jotam3 View Post
                      Hey Craig, do you know which of the Z3M radiators you used? Was it the S52 one (17111433025) or the ones from the S54 (17112227281)? Did you just get the OEM one? Lastly, not sure if you'd know, I know you have a late model, any idea if these things will fit in an early model? I'd be throwing it into my 87 vert.

I've used the Z3M s52 (xxx025) radiator in three late model e30's (M20B25, S52 and M50) and they all fit like a glove. Can't compare if the early models are any different- but it's the s52 one you want.
                      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                      '95 BMW e34 525i
                      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                      '92 Range Rover Classic
                      '90 Range Rover Classic
                      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                      '67 Pontiac LeMans
                      '24 Model T Depot Hack
                      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                        I've used the Z3M s52 (xxx025) radiator in three late model e30's (M20B25, S52 and M50) and they all fit like a glove. Can't compare if the early models are any different- but it's the s52 one you want.
                        Thanks, Klug! Anyone know on the early model fitment?

Last edited by jotam3; 12-22-2016, 06:56 PM. Reason: I suck at typing.

Comment

Originally posted by jotam3 View Post

I'm actually running the s54 one I believe. I'm not sure about fitment in early model but I'm sure it'd fit fine if you got the correct bottom mounts.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

I'm actually running the s54 one I believe. I'm not sure about fitment in early model but I'm sure it'd fit fine if you got the correct bottom mounts.

Rubber mounts? Can you show me which mounts you're referring to?

Comment

I fit a MZ3 S54 radiator to an early model with custom mounts. I was unable to find an OEM solution so a friend had the idea to make simple mounts with hockey pucks and bolts. Works amazingly well and cost almost nothing. PM if you want a picture.

This is the part number you want: 17112227281

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
                                I fit a MZ3 S54 radiator to an early model with custom mounts. I was unable to find an OEM solution so a friend had the idea to make simple mounts with hockey pucks and bolts. Works amazingly well and cost almost nothing. PM if you want a picture.

This is the part number you want: 17112227281
                                Thanks a lot, Raj. Just PMd you.

Comment

Working...
                                X