Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threaded / free spinning oil pump nut - advice

Hi guys,

Got an m50 here on an engine stand, started loosening the oil pump nut to replace with a drilled one with safety wire, I think its threaded the shaft/nut and is free spinning now,

I think it hasn't loosened much at all, maybe less than 0.5mm?

Tried to move the sprocket to see if there was any play, but don't think there is any play in the shaft / sprocket either

Would it be safe to weld the threaded nut onto the shaft and sprocket? Rather than replace the whole oil pump?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

So the nut won't come all the way off and is just spinning? If so, either the nut or the shaft is stripped. I would want to get the nut off to inspect the threads and fix it. Not something you want to fail later.

Try applying pressure to the back of the nut with a screwdriver or pry bar while turning it. Might help it come off.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

That's exactly what's happening,

There's near no play in the sprocket, (less than 0.5mm movement) - I think it'll be safe to weld the nut on, wondering other's opinions?

Comment

Just checking, but you know the nut is reverse threaded?

I could see stripping the nut if you didn't know.

It's possible to replace the oil pump shaft. Achilles, PPF, and others sell upgraded versions. I don't know if that helps you, because it's still ~$200
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
        X