Who's Running No Charcoal Canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
    cannister vents to atmosphere, tank is sealed unit "ass clown" air must get into gas tank to replace burnt fuel. i'm sorry you dont understand.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

[/thread]

lol, thats all I wanted was an expantion.Im used to VW they have that safty vent at the filler with the bearing in it so in a rollover the tank cant leak.I was not aware their was no vent at the filler.Are the caps vented?Because at no time do I ever have pressure at the cap only when the valve was junk.I will look into changing my setup if thats the case

Comment

After some driving and gas cap removal experimentation, my tank seems to be pretty much in equilibrium. No farts or hissing with gas cap removal. My guess is that the ecu opens the purge valve at times with minimal suction in the intake manifold. The gas tank is probably able to pull in some air against the minimal suction in the manifold.

I'll continue to keep an eye on things.
      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
        After some driving and gas cap removal experimentation, my tank seems to be pretty much in equilibrium. No farts or hissing with gas cap removal. My guess is that the ecu opens the purge valve at times with minimal suction in the intake manifold. The gas tank is probably able to pull in some air against the minimal suction in the manifold.

I'll continue to keep an eye on things.
        Reviving this old thread!

Are you still running this way? (evap tank to evap purge valve to throttle)

any new comments on this? Should I run the e30 canister with the e36 purge valve? After reading the thread on bimmerforums, I'm asking, myself if the e30 canister can allow the tank to succion air to avoid vacuum condition...?
        E30 now S52
        2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Question is why would you take the canister off, as I remember I just flipped the bracket over and remounted the canister. Use the e36 purge valve and hook up as it was. Seems easier than trying to reinvent the system.

Comment

I just have my Vent line Venting into the Atmosphere in my engine bay....Probably not the best thing to do but Ive never had a problem with it.

I have a Check Engine light due to no Purge Valve Plugged in.

So what you guys are doing is plugging Check valve in line to the Throttle Body (that I have plugged off right now)?
            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
              Reviving this old thread!

Are you still running this way? (evap tank to evap purge valve to throttle)

I'm running this on my M60 swap and I'm using the M60 purge valve. It works well and no check engine lights because I have the valve plugged in.

Comment

No charcoal canister on my swap. I put a small inline fuel filter and tucked it in the frame rail. The filter always prevented gas smells on previous cars.
                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Ive had issues years ago attempting to run no canister and just valve to vent line and it put the gas tank under a massive amount of vacuum.

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I still don't get the benefit of removing something for zero performance benefit that almost certainly increases emissions. it's such a simple system, why not leave it alone?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

lazyyyyy people;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

if you were truly lazy you would leave it where it is. :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well to be fair it doesnt fit well in original location :P
                          I mount it to drivers frame rail by core support...

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                            You can plug the port on the TB and remove everything back to the gas tank.
                            And use #15. You can leave the valve plugged in if it throws a CEL and tuck it
                            somewhere.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...10&hg=16&fg=10

Charley
                            I ordered #15 and it is quite literally just a hose. I thought it would be plugged or have a vent of some sort.

Do the euro cars just straight up just leave this open to atmosphere? Doesn't seem like a good idea. And putting a filter on it would lead to moisture in the tank because it's underneath the car.

I already removed the evap line+canister due to using the clips for brake line routing or else I'd just plug it in the engine bay.

Anyone have any ideas?
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Yes it's just a hose. It works just fine. No problems whatsoever. The cars in europe have worked 30+ years with the gas tank venting directly to atmosphere. No gas smell etc
                              The charcoal canister (and breather hose to intake) is just emission thing to prevent gas vapors escaping to open air.
                              Last edited by pazi88; 09-02-2017, 02:02 AM.

Comment

^^^^^ This ^^^^

not one of my cars has a charcoal canister or a purge valve or anything associated with it.
                                Tanks vented to atmospehere, if it makes you feel better put a small filter on it so no insects can crawl in there and make a nest.

No gas smell in my garage that I didn't put there, no gas smell in the cars.
                                This is 100% a US EPA thing they invented to protect their phony baloney jobs.
                                You can tell when you look at the cars that it was added on, As posted previously cars in Europe did just fine without it. Its just extra parts.
                                Jimmy P.
                                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                                98 318Ti Morea Green
                                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X