Issues with E36 power steering hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with E36 power steering hoses?

Anyone every have problems with using the E36 power steering hoses in their 24V swap? I have an E36 steering rack (328i, I believe), and I'm using the stock hoses I pulled from a junkyard car. Ever since I installed them, there's been a slight kink in the larger of the two. Not enough to cut off flow through the line, but I'm sure enough to restrict it a little. Well, in the last few days, I've been getting some pretty substantial noise from the power steering pump for the first few minutes I'm driving the car (low on fluid, I assume), and wondering if maybe the slight kink in the hose has somehow caused the pump to work overtime? Any ideas? Should I go with a different hose, or modify the stock one to shorten it slightly?

When I swapped in my E36 Steering rack, I used the old E30 hoses and had to flip one upside down. I tried to bend the E36 ones but it just wouldn't bend. How bad is the kink? Re guarding the noise- Do you park your car somewhere where it gets cold at night (I'm talking about freezing).

Comment

Yes, it's parked outside (I live in an apartment currently with no garage), and it's been getting quite cold overnight frequently.

Comment

The E30 hoses definitely are easier to use. I have had both installed. The OEM setup actually has a restrictor in it to put back pressure on the pump so I doubt that you are over working the pump with just a slight kink. Maybe it's just your pump's time to go to the scrap parts bin in the sky.

Comment

Well, I did buy some more PS fluid the other day, and when I went to fill it, the reservoir was damn near empty. Then I got to thinking, probably the last time I put fluid in it was when I dropped the motor in, which was like 2 years ago... LOL.

Oops.

Might be about time to check those steering rack boots/seals...

Comment

Did you install a new reservoir? We've been seeing cars with the original reservoir come in with p/s pump fluid starvation because the filter element in their res is almost completely clogged up.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
              Did you install a new reservoir? We've been seeing cars with the original reservoir come in with p/s pump fluid starvation because the filter element in their res is almost completely clogged up.
              Yeah, I put a new reservoir in when I did the swap.

Comment

Working...
              X